Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronic ear protection - current state of groupthink?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    If you apply Ol' Trevor's logic to a good 30 dB NRR muff, you get about 45 Trevor Points vs the 38.6 Trevor Points he finds for the 18 dB Sordin.
    More sound insulation is more insulation and cherrypicking the frequency does not change that.

I have some Pro Ears Ultra passives and they are my favorite. I should have bought the electronic version instead of trying to cheap out with a lesser brand.
    In my experience Pro Ears muffs perform very well, but I hate the cheapo plastic headband they use on all their models.

I’ve been very happy with MSA Sordin Pro X. Very comfortable and the electronics are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    I’ve been very happy with MSA Sordin Pro X. Very comfortable and the electronics are excellent.
    Agree 100%, used my OTH Sord. Pro-X’s Sat. @ a match, been using that pair since 2008 when Pat (RIP) & Mike Hueser encouraged my move to them.

Was fortunate to add a set of TCI (before Safariland’s purchase) OTH DEHP’s in 2013 when they ran a 30% off sale, which Safariland still offers in sim. sales semi-annually to this day.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 11-05-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by badf00d View Post
    Yes, the buds plug into the phone, and the phone does all the sound processing.

Thanks. It's working very well for me. The app actually does a remarkable job, where it's not just sound compression, but actual cancellation. You even configure it for the specific kind of gunfire you're encountering. At first the idea seemed crazy to me, but then I realized the computer inside my iPhone, given the right software, is waaaaaay more capable than anything that would be attached to a circuit board in a pair of muffs.
    Hope you are still following as I have a question.

Some background. I have pretty severe hearing loss in my right ear and downright profound loss in my left, I can still hear but it's just to the point of a cochlear implant according to the doc. I bought a set of MSA Supreme Pro-X along with a set of Surefire EP3s (to double with for indoor use) and I still have issues hearing normal conversation. The cheapo HL Impact Sports I wore for years were actually a little better in this regard but I never double plugged. The problem with the MSAs is twofold. The EP3s block too much for my hearing loss level and that without the EP3s I can hear the gravel crunching under someone's feet at 50 yards, the wind, the indoor ventilation system and the shots coming from indoor bays on each side of me LOUD and CLEAR. But I can't hear the instructor standing right in front of me or at my shoulder instructing.

Does the app do well at blocking the extraneous stuff out? I'm really tempted to give the Safariland triple processor set a go but think you may well be right about the phone being able to process far far more than a dedicated chip on a board or even 3 of them.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 11-17-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Does the app do well at blocking the extraneous stuff out? I'm really tempted to give the Safariland triple processor set a go but think you may well be right about the phone being able to process far far more than a dedicated chip on a board or even 3 of them.
    It's really trying to cancel and reduce the volume of loud bangs. While I don't think it tries to filter out extraneous sounds, I find it amplifies voices very well for me. It amplifies anything that is not really loud. Sometimes it's almost spooky because I think someone said something right behind me, but when I turn around they're on the other end of the range.

The app is free to try for 30 minutes, and is a free download. I would definitely recommend you give it a try to see how it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by badf00d View Post
    It's really trying to cancel and reduce the volume of loud bangs. While I don't think it tries to filter out extraneous sounds, I find it amplifies voices very well for me. It amplifies anything that is not really loud. Sometimes it's almost spooky because I think someone said something right behind me, but when I turn around they're on the other end of the range.

The app is free to try for 30 minutes, and is a free download. I would definitely recommend you give it a try to see how it works for you.
    Wow! Thanks for the fast reply! It sounds like exactly what the MSAs do. I hear stuff a long ways off and the sense of direction is as if I don't have anything on at all. It's to the point of it being just freaky and takes a little getting used to. I think I will give it a try, for the price there just isn't much to lose. Thanks again...

Liberator HPs?

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    For the ballers, shot-callers among us with 20" blades on their Impalas: http://soldiersystems.net/2017/04/19...nd-industries/

I'm rather excited for that. The DEHPs certainly aren't cheap, but I'd love to see just how the new audio processing is.
    Does anyone here have the new Liberator HPs, UNC if Safariland is even shipping them yet so ......

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Does anyone here have the new Liberator HPs, UNC if Safariland is even shipping them yet so ......
    Dunno if you saw, but they are on the website now: http://www.safariland.com/products/c...3pyf1bumq5ofyd

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Dunno if you saw, but they are on the website now: http://www.safariland.com/products/c...3pyf1bumq5ofyd
    Thx, I saw that last week, even had them in my cart for a bud but he didn’t jump, even forwarded him the sale notice they sent me.

It was somewhat fortuitous IMO as 2 weeks ago he tried on my BTH DEHPs & my OTH Sord X’s my son had on & he even commented on how comfortable & nice the audio was.

Cat is an ED Doc, very solid shooter & I always like it when he’s @ the Mass I’m working on Sun, as he can handle ANY med. issue that may occur plus he always has his blaster on as well.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 12-01-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    FWIW, I spoke to a TCI rep today (Brad Medine, who was apparently quite high on the totem pole, and was there in the original pre-Safariland days) about the Liberator HPs. They are currently shipping, but due to excess demand from government entities, there is currently substantial lead time even on the HPs, not the mention the IVs and Vs; he quoted me 45 days for the current Liberator HPs on the website. He also stated that there are additional colorways coming, with the FDEs coming up next, hoping for a February release, and that plain black (without the red rubber accents) and OD were definitely coming.

Beyond that, random stuff include that he usually kept his DEHPs and Sordin Supreme Pro-Xs at maximum volume, but that with the Liberator HPs, he tended to just keep it at medium volume. He also said that the universal mounts (which allow for easy swapping between the top helmet rails, rear helmet rails, or headbands) would be available for separate purchase if you wanted. He really talked up the positional sound of the Liberators, even compared to the DEHPs.

User Tag List