Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronic ear protection - current state of groupthink?

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Bumping this thread - so, my ebay seller ended up never coming through and I am still without new ear protection. So, it's back to the Peltor Comtac IIIs vs the MSA Sordin SPXs.

Looks like from SRS tactical I can get a pair of the MSAs for $257. They are out of the box (returned), do not include batteries or the aux input plug, but otherwise are like new. Include gel cups and camo headband

Otherwise the Peltor Comtac IIIs are $290 NIB and include gel cups, though from the sounds of it I will probably want to buy a cushioned headband (another $30).

What sayeth you, pistol-forum?
    Dude... If SRS will give you their standard warranty service on the MSAs, I'd take that deal.

I love mine. They get duty at the range, mowing the lawn, out in the workshop... So comfy. I will note I roll with the neckband version. I really don't like the way over the head bands compress at my glasses contact points. Might not be an issue for someone that doesn't wear specs off of the range, though.

Site Supporter
    I have a set of Comtac II's, and also some Sordin's (not sure of exact model, might be Supremes), both with gel cups. Both are excellent -- Peltors seem to have slightly better audio, Sordins weigh a little less, and basically I'm happy with either. I definitely prefer the peltors if wearing a helmet, since the headband is thinner, but the Sordins have been getting more range use lately. Not sure if that helps, since mine aren't the exact models you're considering, but I think it's hard to go wrong with either, and I'd probably just pick whichever one has the best warranty.

I use Howard Leight's Impact Sports over rubber inserts.

The rubber inserts I keep in my car and put them on before I leave the car and enter the range.

The Howard Leight's are inexpensive to the point that if they break, they are not a substantial investment to replace. I've used them for almost two years now, in rain and heat and they keep chugging along. They are an excellent value and I can't imagine spending more money on something that would be better.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 10-22-2016 at 07:39 AM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Well, I pulled the trigger on the ComTacs... largely because they are made and can be serviced here in the US. I'll post my thoughts once I get them next week. Even sprung for a multicam headbband wrap. Going to be so freakin tactical next time I manage to escape my desk and hit the range ..

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    The Howard Leight's are inexpensive to the point that if they break, they are not a substantial investment to replace. I've used them for almost two years now, in rain and heat and they keep chugging along. They are an excellent value and I can't imagine spending more money on something that would be better.
    Higher end ear pro don't clip during gunfire. My Pro Ears have leather covered memory foam ear seals. The Sordins and the like use medical grade silicone filled ear seals. The amount of time we spend wearing ear pro I think $300 for extra comfort and improved audio is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Higher end ear pro don't clip during gunfire. My Pro Ears have leather covered memory foam ear seals. The Sordins and the like use medical grade silicone filled ear seals. The amount of time we spend wearing ear pro I think $300 for extra comfort and improved audio is worth it.
    I thought like Clob for some time in this regard. After trying the gel cups, I knew that for me I was thinking wrongly before. But, everyone has different shape and contours, so what is a big deal for me or you just may not be for another.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I thought like Clob for some time in this regard. After trying the gel cups, I knew that for me I was thinking wrongly before. But, everyone has different shape and contours, so what is a big deal for me or you just may not be for another.
    Ditto.

The gel cups are...nice. I noticed how comfortable they were after I had them on for two or three hours or more at a stretch. The $300 price point of the Sordins is just hard to swallow, despite them being made well, with leather headband, fancy circuitry, and gel cups.

But the HLs are such good value for money. If they made a HL Impact Sport with gel cups, I think they'd sell like peanuts at an Elephant Convention.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-23-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    But the HLs are such good value for money. If they made a HL Impact Sport with gel cups, I think they'd sell like peanuts at an Elephant Convention.
    If you believe the Amazon reviews and Q&As, supposedly the Peltor RangeGuard (similar price to the HL Impact Sport) can be "upgraded" with the Peltor gel cups, but they aren't designed for that, and it requires a bit of "shade tree engineering." I actually like the RangeGuard better than the HL IS, but I'm not willing to spend another $45 (which is about the price of the RangeGuard itself) on a "maybe."
    Last edited by DMF13; 10-23-2016 at 10:27 PM.

I've consistently used and highly recommend MSA Sordin Pro-X (with gel cups) with camo headband for the 2-3 years I've owned them, alone when on an outdoor range, or in combination with Surefire EP4 plugs on the few instances when I shoot indoors.

I have a pair of old Peltor 6S and two pair of Peltor 7S that I've owned for a decade or more. They still work( but with some static when I turn the power/volume knob(s)), but they tend to be used only as loaners for friends or to be stationed beside a home defense firearm. When I used them heavily, their guts proved to be too rust-prone in our Texas summers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Well, I pulled the trigger on the ComTacs... largely because they are made and can be serviced here in the US. I'll post my thoughts once I get them next week. Even sprung for a multicam headbband wrap. Going to be so freakin tactical next time I manage to escape my desk and hit the range ..
    I'm pulling this thread back up to ask how you like the ComTacs? I am thinking of buying either these or some Sordins, leaning toward the ComTacs.

User Tag List