Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Electronic ear protection - current state of groupthink?

I'm back on the hunt for an affordable in-ear option.

I was sweating bullets at the match on Sunday and realized part of my problem was the MSA Sordins muff covering my ears.

I don't really have like $500 to blow on custom fitted electronic Gucci ear pro, so has anyone experience with these low end heat and shape at home "Decibullz"?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WIXL4UM...ding=UTF8&th=1

I can afford $26.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-16-2019 at 07:14 PM.

I've read through much of this thread, and there's a lot of useful information. Three main conclusions include:

1. Low NRR ratings may be deceptive, since sound reduction at frequencies caused by firearms is better than the overall rating would suggest.
    2. You do sacrifice some sound suppression by choosing a low-profile option (like the Sordin) over a bulkier option.
    3. Seal quality is a major factor, with gel ear pads making a significant difference.

I'm looking for the best option for pistol-only use. My focus is on noise reduction, followed by audio quality for following range commands. Bluetooth or auxiliary audio isn't a concern. I won't be using them under a helmet or with a long gun, so size isn't an issue.

I'll be replacing any non-gel ear pads with Noisefighters.

Given my priorities, it looks like these are my options. The XCEL and Peltor 300 seem to perform quite well at the price point. Can anyone make a recommendation--or suggest something else?

Walkers XCEL 100 ($60)
    NRR: 26
    Attenuation at 1000Hz: 37.7
    Attenuation at 2000Hz: 36.1

Howard Leight Impact Pro ($80)
    NRR: 30
    Attenuation at 1000Hz: 37.1
    Attenuation at 2000Hz: 33.8

Peltor Sport Tactical 300 ($80)
    NRR: 24
    Attenuation at 1000Hz: 39.6
    Attenuation at 2000Hz: 36

Peltor Sport Tactical 500 ($150)
    Attenuation at 1000Hz: 36.5
    Attenuation at 2000Hz: 36.8

Peltor Tactical Pro ($200)
    Attenuation at 2000Hz: 34.4
    Last edited by CalAlumnus; 06-15-2020 at 08:51 AM.

I've found the Peltor Tactical Sport (not to be confused with the Sport Tactical, ridiculous, I know) to be excellent for the sub $200 range. You can find them around $100-120 usually.

They're NRR 20. I usually combine this with Surefire Sonic Defenders earplugs with the ports open, which provides a good balance of protection and sound amplification.

Sound quality is excellent, and quite a bit better than most of the other $50-150 electronic options I've tried. I've had a couple sets, and this last pair has lasted ~9-10yrs.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    I've read through much of this thread, and there's a lot of useful information. Three main conclusions include:

1. Low NRR ratings may be deceptive, since sound reduction at frequencies caused by firearms is better than the overall rating would suggest.
    2. You do sacrifice some sound suppression by choosing a low-profile option (like the Sordin) over a bulkier option.
    3. Seal quality is a major factor, with gel ear pads making a significant difference.

I'm looking for the best option for pistol-only use. My focus is on noise reduction, followed by audio quality for following range commands. Bluetooth or auxiliary audio isn't a concern. I won't be using them under a helmet or with a long gun, so size isn't an issue.

I'll be replacing any non-gel ear pads with Noisefighters.

Given my priorities, it looks like these are my options. The XCEL and Peltor 300 seem to perform quite well at the price point. Can anyone make a recommendation--or suggest something else?

Walkers XCEL 100 ($60)
    Attenuation at 2000Hz: 36.1

Howard Leight Impact Pro ($80)
    NRR: 30
    Attenuation at 1000Hz: 37.1
    Attenuation at 2000Hz: 33.8

Peltor Sport Tactical 300 ($80)
    NRR: 24
    Attenuation at 1000Hz: 39.6
    Attenuation at 2000Hz: 36

Peltor Sport Tactical 500 ($150)
    Attenuation at 1000Hz: 36.5
    Attenuation at 2000Hz: 36.8

Peltor Tactical Pro ($200)
    Attenuation at 2000Hz: 34.4
    For pistol only, I would also consider something in-ear, e.g., the 3M TEP-100 or the Otto NoizeBarrier Micro, if you can adapt your ears to those.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I've found the Peltor Tactical Sport (not to be confused with the Sport Tactical, ridiculous, I know) to be excellent for the sub $200 range.
    Wow, that naming convention is ridiculous. Looks like it’s actually the “Peltor Sport Tactical Sport.”

There’s also the Peltor Sport Tactical 300/500, and the Peltor TacticalPro.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    For pistol only, I would also consider something in-ear, e.g., the 3M TEP-100 or the Otto NoizeBarrier Micro, if you can adapt your ears to those.
    Default mind sharing some *quality* in-ear pro that would be good around 5.56 & SGs, you know 3G stuff & some w/ comps. Been using Sord Pro-X’s since Pat suggested them in 2008 & then he got me into TCI DHEPs.

As an RO I don’t mind dropping some coin & as Pat was fond of saying, buy once cry once.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Default mind sharing some *quality* in-ear pro that would be good around 5.56 & SGs, you know 3G stuff & some w/ comps. Been using Sord Pro-X’s since Pat suggested them in 2008 & then he got me into TCI DHEPs.

As an RO I don’t mind dropping some coin & as Pat was fond of saying, buy once cry once.
    I am of the opinion that with rifles, especially indoors, one wants to double up. I am personally going to upgrade to the Ops Core AMP system with the NFMI plugs in the next couple of months (currently using SureFire EPs paired with Safariland HPs, which I haven't been as disappointed with as some folks have been, but have not lived up to the hype for me, either); I no hands-on experience, but I know Steve Fisher has praised it before, saying that there's nothing else like it, and a buddy of mine has tried it before, and said it was amazing (he typically uses ComTac IIIs).

User Tag List