Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Electronic ear protection - current state of groupthink?

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    In reference to the updates to the Liberator HPs if you have an older model or hope to directly buy one with the updates. Feel free to contact her at lucy.medine@safariland.com for this.
    Oh hells yes default, thx much for that info.

MSA-Sordin Supreme Pro-X repair

Instead of starting a brand new thread on this, I figured I'd post here. Recently my earpro went south. I took them apart and see that a battery must have leaked, pretty much trashing the battery compartment.
    So now I have a Supreme Pro-X that works as standard non-electronic earpro...
    A Google search leads me to SRS Tactical in Florida. www.srstactical.com I see they do repairs on MSA Sordin products. I sent my set off to them with the printable work order. A week later I get a personal call from the shop telling me the unit is repaired and GTG! Cost to me was a reasonable $90 including USPS Priority mail. Good as new.
    A big shout-out to SRS Tactical and their crew (including Lynwood!)

Site Supporter
    Duracell by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    Instead of starting a brand new thread on this, I figured I'd post here. Recently my earpro went south. I took them apart and see that a battery must have leaked, pretty much trashing the battery compartment.
    So now I have a Supreme Pro-X that works as standard non-electronic earpro...
    A Google search leads me to SRS Tactical in Florida. www.srstactical.com I see they do repairs on MSA Sordin products. I sent my set off to them with the printable work order. A week later I get a personal call from the shop telling me the unit is repaired and GTG! Cost to me was a reasonable $90 including USPS Priority mail. Good as new.
    A big shout-out to SRS Tactical and their crew (including Lynwood!)
    No doubt Rusty & co. @ SRS is the shop where my 11yr. old Pro-X's would go if needed, seems like Pat (RIP amigo) suggested them yrs. ago on LF or @ a class.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 06-24-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Good gravy, I haven't had such a case of analysis paralysis in a long time. My Sordins are going south—the wire insulation has disintegrated, I'm starting to get static in the right ear, and one of the gel cups has sprung a leak.

I'm currently trying to decide between these: Another pair of Pro X, some configuration of Comtac III, the Pro Ears Pro Tac Slim Gold, or the Liberator HP.

I'm using them on the practice range as well as during competition and the occasional class.

I like the Sordins, but it seems like there could be better protection.

I'm drawn to the Pro Ears for the higher NRR, but they seem somewhat, I guess, old fashioned, and I don't know anyone with any experience with them. I know a lot of comp pros use them, but I would to if someone gave them to me. I'm also not sure about the leather cups during long periods in hot weather and high humidity.

The Comtacs seem to have a good following, but between them and the Sordins, it seems like the Sordins are the way to go for warranty and product support.

I like the idea of the Liberators, but they have some pretty mixed reviews, but if they have somehow worked out the bugs, I think that might be the way I would go, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of current user feedback that I can find.

I even made a slight detour on a recent trip to go to Palmetto State Armory to try to get hands on with some of these models but they didn't have a one. Can any of y'all astute product users out there help me out with this agonizing decision to find the perfect ear pro? Should I just get another pair of Sordins, or should I act my age a shooting station and go with the Pro Ears? Will the Liberators make my range buddies jealous? In all seriousness, any feedback you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

@JWinTN. Be an idea to call Robert at SRS tactical and see what he would charge to recondition your Sordins.

He was very supportive of our p-f Sordin Group Buy. Iirc the Pro X have a five year warranty.

www.srstactical.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    @JWinTN. Be an idea to call Robert at SRS tactical and see what he would charge to recondition your Sordins.

He was very supportive of our p-f Sordin Group Buy. Iirc the Pro X have a five year warranty.

www.srstactical.com

I thought about that, but these things are well out of warranty. I worry that the cost of repair would likely just put me well on the way to a fresh new pair. I figure I will pick up something new and then eventually get the old ones rebuilt for a backup/loaner pair. I did try to call SRS but didn't get an answer, but I'll try it again and see where I get.

Quote Originally Posted by JWinTN View Post
    I thought about that, but these things are well out of warranty. I worry that the cost of repair would likely just put me well on the way to a fresh new pair. I figure I will pick up something new and then eventually get the old ones rebuilt for a backup/loaner pair. I did try to call SRS but didn't get an answer, but I'll try it again and see where I get.
    I emailed Robert. I’ll pm you the email address of the person he indicated to follow up with by PM if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I emailed Robert. I’ll pm you the email address of the person he indicated to follow up with by PM if you are interested.

Absolutely, and I appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by JWinTN View Post
    Absolutely, and I appreciate the help.
    No problem. PM sent.

User Tag List