Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Focusing strongly on one pistol

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    How many of you tend to focus strongly on shooting a specific type of pistol for 6-12months?

I've found out that some people do this.

What I actually want to know is:

a) What kind of stuff do you learn by doing that, and b) most importantly, can a shooter get to the point where his fundamentals are so strong that he shoots basically any pistol the same?

Thanks
    A year and a half ago I owned 4 pistols. 2 glocks, a xds and a kahr. I carried three of them. Three carry guns and all different brands with different controls. I realized I was hurting myself by learning three trigger presses and 3 different control systems. I committed to only carrying and shooting a g19 for 6 months. I don't shoot that much and I honestly hadn't picked up dry fire at that point. I noticed that my skills were drastically improving. I then sold off my non glocks and bought a g26 for when I needed something smaller.

Switching to a singular platform is one of the best things I have done. I still practice/train with the g19 90% of the time. I wanted to be a gun guy. Instead I focused on being a shooter (I'm not a good one by any means). But I don't have a need to fire someone else's gun good. I want to put all my time and effort into the platform I carry. I'm a novice and I would recommend a single platform or gun to anyone else starting out. I ignored the "spend your money on ammo and training" concept. This will be the first year I've spent more on ammo than guns.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

As I've read this thread, I've realized that at some point, some shooters pay more attention to the shooting than to the gun. But some never make that leap.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    I like Gabe's idea...I am trying to get gooder at shooting and in that pursuit, I feel the gun matters less than the practice...although I haven't shot anything but a 1911 in matches for some while. I do a lot of dry fire with the 1911 and as a rule, I tend to carry a 1911 when able (aka, not at work, wearing scrubs).

I still occasionally plink around with other stuff, but I usually just end up shooting single stack because it's what I like.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Surprising comment from Kyle Defoor today.

Attachment 10890
    Defoor has been a long time advocate of being able to shoot the "big four" guns well. As I recall he considers the big four to be the 1911, Sig P series, Beretta 92, and that other gun designed by some cat named Gus.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Defoor has been a long time advocate of being able to shoot the "big four" guns well. As I recall he considers the big four to be the 1911, Sig P series, Beretta 92, and that other gun designed by some cat named Gus.
    For anyone... If I shoot 1 of those the most and do well with it, how close should I be with the other three be? And using what metrics?

I run a 9mm Glock 90% of the time, and support groups with Sigs, Berettas, and M&Ps. I can pass the applicable tests and quals on all of them. That work?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Gunfights count?
    Yup. Do you have an acclimation routine when switching? I can switch from Glock to Sig and back with minimal acclimation. Switching between a Sig and 1911 is MUCH tougher for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yup. Do you have an acclimation routine when switching? I can switch from Glock to Sig and back with minimal acclimation. Switching between a Sig and 1911 is MUCH tougher for me.
    Hat tip. The Sig mag release devastates me for reflexive speed
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Hat tip. The Sig mag release devastates me for reflexive speed
    Really? My biggest issue is the slide release. Before a uniform detail I'll do 10 minutes or so of dryfire from the duty holster with the Glock to get used to the differences in both the holster and the gun.

I just completely screw myself if I shoot the 1911, though. I fall too easily back into 1911 mode, and the result is I ride the slide release preventing slide lock on the Sigs. I love the 1911, it just screws with my Sig shooting so I don't even play-toy with it any longer. I'm curious to see what BigT does when swapping back and forth to see if there's anything I can benefit from, as unlike him I'm definitely vexed by the different controls, at least short term. I spend most of my play-toy time with revolvers, as that doesn't seem to ingrain any bad habits in my Sig shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Really? My biggest issue is the slide release. Before a uniform detail I'll do 10 minutes or so of dryfire from the duty holster with the Glock to get used to the differences in both the holster and the gun.

I just completely screw myself if I shoot the 1911, though. I fall too easily back into 1911 mode, and the result is I ride the slide release preventing slide lock on the Sigs. I love the 1911, it just screws with my Sig shooting so I don't even play-toy with it any longer. I'm curious to see what BigT does when swapping back and forth to see if there's anything I can benefit from, as unlike him I'm definitely vexed by the different controls, at least short term. I spend most of my play-toy time with revolvers, as that doesn't seem to ingrain any bad habits in my Sig shooting.
    Nooo, I meant slide release as well! My bad. Tough not to automatically over reach for the slide release.

If I still shot thumbs locked down like in the 80s it might be easier, but high thumbs. . .
    Last edited by JHC; 10-01-2016 at 05:04 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List