Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pistol Red Dot

Yknow now that I think about it, it couldn't possibly work with the mos, for the exact reason unity tactical had to put their securing screw on the side of the atom rather than the top: No way to install a mounting plate where the screws come in from opposite sides with no through holes in either object being joined (sight and slide). On the atom, the sis window would sit so high that buis would be extremely tall and snaggy. Something like an rcs balor mount could work but again the window would be even higher than a T1 configured similarly. Probably not practical. Oh well, guess the wait continues for the Aimpoint sealed mrds small enough for practical concealed carry use on a pistol.

The SIS looks almost exactly like what I want; sealed emitter, adjustable, even a neato reticle.

If there is a reasonable way to fit it in a pistol, and the Aimpoint doesn't drop sometime in the next 6mos, I might investigate this.

Misanthropist, would you be able to provide some pics of the way your CQS attaches at some less inebriated moment?

I'd like to forward them off to Mark and see if he might be able to do anything with it and an ATOM milled slide...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    This looks interesting. I am looking for a smallish RDS optic to mount on a shotgun, and until seeing this have been considering either an Aimpoint micro or a Trijicon RMR. Does anyone make a QD mount for the Shield SIS model?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    The SIS looks almost exactly like what I want; sealed emitter, adjustable, even a neato reticle.

If there is a reasonable way to fit it in a pistol, and the Aimpoint doesn't drop sometime in the next 6mos, I might investigate this.

Misanthropist, would you be able to provide some pics of the way your CQS attaches at some less inebriated moment?

I'd like to forward them off to Mark and see if he might be able to do anything with it and an ATOM milled slide...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Honestly, pretty much an aimpoint micro mount. 4 screws hold it onto a pretty run-of-the-mill (I guess literally) clamp.

Yes, I intentionally ensured the pictures would be FABULOUS.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

No wait:

only two screws hold the sight to the base. The base is about 1.280" wide, and the holes are centered about 0.162" in from the outer edge. They're about 0.850" back from the front of the body, which is 1.935" long overall.

Mine's all mounted up but I have spare spacers that I just measured. If you want more dimensions just let me know. I have the calipers and spacers out so it's no trouble.

Also I have not spent the day drinking margaritas.

Sunday is martinis.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.

That was more than expected and super-awesome of you, sir!

Thank you very much.

No worries! Glad to help.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I've been out of the red dot on a handgun game for a while because of the exposed emitter. It sounds like you all are saying this CQS, and by extension the SIS, would not mount on an ATOM Glock slide. Have we confirmed that?

I believe you can mount it on an aimpoint atom plate right now, because shield sells an aimpoint mount adapter. So I think you can get an atom slide or slide cut, an aimpoint micro atom plate, a shield aimpoint mount adapter, and thereby put the sis on a glock slide. However, considering how much bulk there is beneath the window of the sis compared to a simple aimpoint micro tube, plus the slight added height of the adapter plate, i believe the sis window would sit too high to allow cowitnessing with the standard atom backup iron sights. Buis would have to be comically tall to reach the sis window. Using the shield adapter plate, you could also use the standard aimpoint micro glock rear sight dovetail mount, but that would be higher and less secure with no buis.

What i believe is not possible is for the sis in its current form to work with the glock mos.

What we need is an sis with a lower base and top-down rather than bottom-up screws. This would allow simpler mounting on glock mos and other interfaces as well as custom milled slides. The mos plate shield has made for the rms appears to be a great idea, mounting the rms lower and more securely than the glock mos plate.

I spoke with shield on the phone last week and suggested they pursue ways to mount the sis on pistol slides, whether via redesign or some ingenious mounting solution i haven't considered. They said they thought the sis was too big and heavy and they really intend the rms to fulfill that role. I pointed out that many folks including military want a closed emitter system for reliability on a pistol, and are currently using aimpoint micros which are heavier and longer. They said they'd consider it.

I think they'll need a lot more calls to motivate this line of development.

User Tag List