Thread: Musician Making Album About Police Brutality Has Music Stolen

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Musician Making Album About Police Brutality Has Music Stolen

This poor guy might want to call the... oh, wait. No, no he probably wouldn't. From Dallas Morning News:

Local rapper So So Topic, or -topic for short, lost years worth of original music when his camera bag and backpack were stolen last week.

-topic, whose real name is Tommy Simpson, performed at Deep Ellum's Drugstore Cowboy on Wednesday night. Around 11:20 p.m., he says he "let my guard down to take in the good energy" at the open mic event. His backpack, with his laptop and hard drive that he says contained multiple albums' worth of music, was stolen.

The rapper is offering a reward of $1,000 for the hard drive, and if he gets it, he says he'll put out his next two albums for free.

He says he has no interest in pressing charges; he just wants his work back.

He told NBC 5, "I believe if somebody actually plugs up the hard drive and plugs it in the computer and sees what's on that drive, they're going to be like 'I think I messed up.'"

At a hip-hop event last week shortly after the theft, -topic was visibly downhearted, especially compared to his usual cheeriness. "It's been a minute since my soul felt this sluggish," he wrote on Facebook. "I am shook and fighting to stay in this with everything I am."
    If you're going to take on The Man, you need to back up your data. Also: irony.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I was nowhere near Deep Ellum that night. I got witnesses!

And with that out of the way: What a shame.....

"He told NBC 5, "I believe if somebody actually plugs up the hard drive and plugs it in the computer and sees what's on that drive, they're going to be like 'I think I messed up.'""

So you don't believe in the good-will of the intuitions that allow you to make a living via music, or created the technology to allow individuals to create music on personal computing devises, or the institutions that have created so much wealth that everybody has access laptops/cells/music.... but you have faith in people willing to steal your stuff.

Only an idiot wouldn't keep backups of anything an important.

Then again, only an idiot would think those who enjoy the same counter culture music he does would also be law abiding citizens.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Only an idiot wouldn't keep backups of anything an important.

Then again, only an idiot would think those who enjoy the same counter culture music he does would also be law abiding citizens.
    I wouldn't leave a copy of irreplaceable data unattended at my own mother's house (...sorry mom).
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I'll have a Coke.
    #RESIST

User Tag List