Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How important/relevant is NATO?

How important/relevant is NATO?

I'm dragging this out of the "How Drunk" thread and into its own thread, because I want to hear from you guys in the know.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Serious multi-part question, as I'm not a geopolitical wonk. I'm really hoping some of you guys with your .gov and .mil service can weigh in here:

Given the globalization of the world (something that IMO is a mixed bag of +/-), what do the other 22 partners in NATO bring to the table that the major 5 don't bring to US interests (I'm counting US as the 28th)? I get that treaties are good to have, but what is the net payout in security/funds/tax advantages/tariff advantages, etc?

Given that ~4 of those countries have allowed radicalized Islam to go unchecked and thereby drawing their region and the US into greater danger, why shouldn't we be charging them in one way or another (are we already?) for having to aid them more in their countries than they aid us in ours (yes, this is a presumption)?

I'll ignore the fact that the far left ideologies (that romanticize Europe) here in the US have created a whole host of problems. I'd rather discuss how NATO allies ignorance or failure to keep radical Islam in check has put an add'l undo pressure on the US military and therefore our country as a whole.

Have at it. I'm really interested to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Seeing as how we (the US tax payers) fund them, they aren't exactly worth a shit without us.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Seems to me that there are advantages to having (reasonably) quick strike capability far from our own borders.

At the same time there are the disadvantages of cost, financial and otherwise, as well as an obligation to support and defend the host nations as well as other parties to the treaty.

I don't doubt that it should be reexamined (or renegotiated) from time to time much as I wish our participation in the U.N would be.

Personally, I see it as a very complex issue with many layers and no easy answer. If I had my druthers, and it were somehow feasible, I'd rather see the U.S. direct most of its energy and financial resources toward making our own country better since we carry so much water for the rest of the world, often with no obvious benefit to ourselves.

The Libertarians, I suppose, share a similar position. That's probably why Johnson doesn't know where Aleppo is or the name of any foreign leaders.
    Last edited by blues; 09-29-2016 at 09:22 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Not at all.

It's funny how 6 of the top 10 nations in the world (GDP wise) feel the need to band together to protect themselves from the newly re-invented boogeyman of Putin's Russia with the worlds 14th largest economy. The idea of Putin and Russia pouring through the Fulda Gap today is laughable and I don't see Poland or many other Eastern European countries jumping at the bit to rejoin the Warsaw Pact. The only thing Putin would get by invading Poland is a bunch of dead Russian boys and that won't help his popularity at home. So why should the US be serving as the military backbone to 5+ other nations with strong economies that are more than capable of defending themselves from Putin's Bear. Of course we and NATO know that the Putin Bear is a joke, but we need a new world enemy (and the fact that he isn't willing to sell his country to the West like Yeltsin did is just not acceptable) which is why we are so intent on camping by his cave and poking at him with a stick. Poke at the bear, see it growl and bite our stick and then we jump up an down and scream rabid bear! All the while, NATO seems completely indifferent to the invasion on it's Southern Boarder.

Something tells me that if the Germans really were that concerned about Putin they would be arming themselves instead of selling almost every Leo2 they have ever made at competitive prices. No instead they let the US defend the world while they build their economic empire.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 09-29-2016 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Not at all.

It's funny how 6 of the top 10 nations in the world (GDP wise) feel the need to band together to protect themselves from the newly re-invented boogeyman of Putin's Russia with the worlds 14th largest economy. The idea of Putin and Russia pouring through the Fulda Gap today is laughable and I don't see Poland or many other Eastern European countries jumping at the bit to rejoin the Warsaw Pact. The only thing Putin would get by invading Poland is a bunch of dead Russian boys and that won't help his popularity at home. So why should the US be serving as the military backbone to 5+ other nations with strong economies that are more than capable of defending themselves from Putin's Bear. Of course we and NATO know that the Putin Bear is a joke, but we need a new world enemy (and the fact that he isn't willing to sell his country to the West like Yeltsin did is just not acceptable) which is why we are so intent on camping by his cave and poking at him with a stick. Poke at the bear, see it growl and bite our stick and then we jump up an down and scream rabid bear! All the while, NATO seems completely indifferent to the invasion on it's Southern Boarder.

Something tells me that if the Germans really were that concerned about Putin they would be arming themselves instead of selling almost every Leo2 they have ever made at competitive prices. No instead they let the US defend the world while they build their economic empire.
    Cuz sometimes one like just isn't enough.
    Last edited by David S.; 09-29-2016 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'd rather see the U.S. direct most of its energy and financial resources toward making our own country better since we carry so much water for the rest of the world, often with no obvious benefit to ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Not at all.

Massive wisdom in this thread.

Putin doesn't need to go west when he can destabilize Syria and similar places. The refugees will destabilize the West for him, and his military will gain combat time and experience like Hitler's troops did in Spain in 1936. Whether NATO will recognize and respond to that in time to do any good is another story, but I'm not optimistic. More than likely, it's already too late.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

Putin doesn't need to go west when he can destabilize Syria and similar places.

Okie John
    I'm not so sure that it was Putin who destabilized Syria.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

Putin doesn't need to go west when he can destabilize Syria and similar places. The refugees will destabilize the West for him, and his military will gain combat time and experience like Hitler's troops did in Spain in 1936. Whether NATO will recognize and respond to that in time to do any good is another story, but I'm not optimistic. More than likely, it's already too late.

Okie John

Putin?

lol

Yeah, Putin destabilized Syria.

Yeah, Putin is allowing Syrian refugees into Europe.

lolzlolzolzol

User Tag List