Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Me Establish a Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    The Test...
    Thanks, I am looking for a drill to add to my next monthly range live fire, and this looks good.

I recall shooting it at the Memphis Rangemaster Conference in Nyeti (excuse me, Dugga Boy)'s segment and it was tough.

I am going to try a new local indoor square range soon, and I don't think they have runners out to 25 yards, so a 10 yard drill sounds great. Plus, untimed means I'm not going to fall foul to any ROs who might give me stink eye from "rapid fire". I do find it is hard to find drills that I can do at basic suburban indoor ranges that don't allow draw from the holster (I start from low ready) or quick controlled pairs (I can't shoot accurately that fast anyway, lol),
    Last edited by RJ; 09-29-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Thanks, I am looking for a drill to add to my next monthly range live fire, and this looks good.

I recall shooting it at the Memphis Rangemaster Conference in Nyeti (excuse me, Dugga Boy)'s segment and it was tough.

I am going to try a new local indoor square range soon, and I don't think they have runners out to 25 yards, so a 10 yard drill sounds great. Plus, untimed means I'm not going to fall foul to any ROs who might give me stink eye from "rapid fire". I do find it is hard to find drills that I can do at basic suburban indoor ranges that don't allow draw from the holster (I start from low ready) or quick controlled pairs (I can't shoot accurately that fast anyway, lol),
    I trained with Ken Hackathorn this past weekend and Ken stressed that if you could only do one drill "The Test" was the one to do. Ken said he shoots The Test at the beginning and end of every range session.

Another excellent drill and a variant of The Test is The Half Test. Same 10 rounds but shot from 5 yards in 5 seconds and requires the same 90 points to pass.

Good advice thus far, but drills alone won't get you where you want to go. Once you can shoot decent groups in slow fire, take a basic pistol course that teaches the draw, malfunction drills, and the other fundamental stuff. You don't need a big-name instructor for this--there are probably several good teachers in your area who can get your feet firmly on the ground with a few hours of instruction.

From there, it really helps to have a coach. If you can't find one, get a training partner who is about at your level. One of the problems with learning to shoot a pistol as that you can't see yourself make mistakes, so having someone else who can watch you shoot and catch your errors is vital. Video is also helpful. I've made iPhone video of myself shooting, then dropped the files into iMovie and slowed them way down. My mistakes are there in glorious slow motion for all to see, which really helped when I got serious about shooting quickly. Once you get your act together at that level, it doesn't hurt to start shooting IDPA club matches, which will give you a chance to start doing some of this stuff in sequences that drills don't. At that point, it wouldn't hurt to take a course from one of the celebrity instructors.

Along the way, read all of the AARs you can find on the better celebrity instructors like Ken Hackathorn, Larry Vickers, Kyle Defoor, Pat McNamara, Rob Leatham, etc. Most of these guys have a serious presence on YouTube, so that’s an excellent resource. Their videos can inspire you to outrun your headlights, but that's also part of learning. Before you go too deep on any one instructor, check his reputation around here—the internet is full of idiots braying at the top of their lungs about stuff they don't understand.

Finally, write things down and plan at least a year at a time, just like you did on active duty. I base my year on the Redneck High Holy Days (deer season). When the season ends, I review my AARs for hunts and training, note how various things helped or slowed me down, then set the next year’s goals and allocate resources to support them. For instance, I focused on IDPA from about 2012-14, so I wrote about matches and what I learned in them. That led me to focus on more realistic training for a while, and by 2016, I had set aside money, vacation time, and ammo to train with Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers, and I put myself through train-ups for those classes to make sure that I’d get the most out of them. For 2017, I’ll maintain my handgun program, but most new work will focus on rifles and hunting big game, so I’m researching and writing plans for that now.

I do this in my training journal, which also has notes on load development, gear, results from tests and drills, lists of stuff I need to do/buy, etc. This helps me stay current on a range of stuff and reduces the number of times I make the same mistakes.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Good advice thus far, but drills alone won't get you where you want to go. Once you can shoot decent groups in slow fire, take a basic pistol course that teaches the draw, malfunction drills, and the other fundamental stuff. You don't need a big-name instructor for this--there are probably several good teachers in your area who can get your feet firmly on the ground with a few hours of instruction.

From there, it really helps to have a coach. If you can't find one, get a training partner who is about at your level. One of the problems with learning to shoot a pistol as that you can't see yourself make mistakes, so having someone else who can watch you shoot and catch your errors is vital. Video is also helpful. I've made iPhone video of myself shooting, then dropped the files into iMovie and slowed them way down. My mistakes are there in glorious slow motion for all to see, which really helped when I got serious about shooting quickly. Once you get your act together at that level, it doesn't hurt to start shooting IDPA club matches, which will give you a chance to start doing some of this stuff in sequences that drills don't. At that point, it wouldn't hurt to take a course from one of the celebrity instructors.

Along the way, read all of the AARs you can find on the better celebrity instructors like Ken Hackathorn, Larry Vickers, Kyle Defoor, Pat McNamara, Rob Leatham, etc. Most of these guys have a serious presence on YouTube, so that’s an excellent resource. Their videos can inspire you to outrun your headlights, but that's also part of learning. Before you go too deep on any one instructor, check his reputation around here—the internet is full of idiots braying at the top of their lungs about stuff they don't understand.

Finally, write things down and plan at least a year at a time, just like you did on active duty. I base my year on the Redneck High Holy Days (deer season). When the season ends, I review my AARs for hunts and training, note how various things helped or slowed me down, then set the next year’s goals and allocate resources to support them. For instance, I focused on IDPA from about 2012-14, so I wrote about matches and what I learned in them. That led me to focus on more realistic training for a while, and by 2016, I had set aside money, vacation time, and ammo to train with Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers, and I put myself through train-ups for those classes to make sure that I’d get the most out of them. For 2017, I’ll maintain my handgun program, but most new work will focus on rifles and hunting big game, so I’m researching and writing plans for that now.

I do this in my training journal, which also has notes on load development, gear, results from tests and drills, lists of stuff I need to do/buy, etc. This helps me stay current on a range of stuff and reduces the number of times I make the same mistakes.

Okie John
    Excellent advice.

Also get a Par timer or download the free Surefire timer App to your smart phone (if you have one). In order to "establish the baseline" a timer will be an invaluable tool. Do not obsess about breaking records or going fast. Start at a comfortable for you pace and use the timer to record your times. Then start the process of whittling down the times required.

Help Me Establish a Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Excellent advice.

Also get a Par timer or download the free Surefire timer App to your smart phone (if you have one). In order to "establish the baseline" a timer will be an invaluable tool. Do not obsess about breaking records or going fast. Start at a comfortable for you pace and use the timer to record your times. Then start the process of whittling down the times required.
    Amen on the shot timer.

I'm not able to benefit from a live fire timer yet, but I use this free one a lot when doing dry practice, draws, reloads etc.

Last edited by RJ; 09-29-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks again to all those who helped me out the past few days with recommendations. Went to the range yesterday- shot the Dot Torture at 3yds and was 23/50 and 26/50. I also shot the Finding Your Level drill and was 0/1 on 1", 1/2 on 2", 3/3 on 3" and 3/4 on 4". Very humbling, but informative. I now have a baseline from which to work on- plus am getting a lesson from one of the range trainers next week. Will be transferring this to the online journal, but did want to follow up with a thank you.

User Tag List