Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Establish a Baseline

Help Me Establish a Baseline

Background- 8 years as infantry officer, but spent very little time on a pistol range

I would like to become a better student of not just the pistol, but shooting the pistol.
    I go to the range and typically spend my time working on hitting targets from 3-10 meters away.

I need to step up my training and while I would like to partake in the weekly drills- I realize that as a novice- doing well on them is a bit of a stretch.
    I will shoot them and work on my dry fire, but would like some advice.

Are there 3-5 drills that are recommended to begin to build my abilities shooting the pistol.
    I am working on my dry fire with the 1,000 days of dry fire and the Ben Stoeger books- but want to hit the range weekly.

Also- are there any certain "tests" that have been posted on the forum that would help establish my baseline skills.

I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere- but I did search through this portion of the forum and did not see what my request is.

I have read through many of ToddG's past posts on beginning pistol shooting as an fyi.

Thank you for your help!

Thanks for your service.

On topic: I'm like the last person to suggest anything, but I am a pretty new shooter since 2013. I hope you get some more qualified answers, bit I'll share my two suggestions, for what it's worth:

1 - A standard NRA B-8 repair center target. I use this for slow fire at 25 yards, as well as closer. I always score based on 10 rounds, with an 'X' if I should ever hit the bull. My best is 83-0X, so I have a lot of work to do.

2 - An exercise called 'Finding Your Level'. Also fired with 10 rounds, it is 4 into a 4" circle, 3 in a 3" square, 2 on a 2" circle and 1 on a 1" square. My best is 10/10, at 3 yds. Higher levels increase range as well as add time.

Both of these targets are available as *.pdfs here on the forum. I just run a few off on my printer and head to the range.

The reason I like these is that you get an immediate, scored metric. They are also accuracy / marksmanship based, something you can do at almost any square range.

Good luck!

Rich
    Last edited by RJ; 09-28-2016 at 07:28 PM.

I'd look to the Drill of the Week and poke around a bit. Not only will you see common drills selected for usefulness and worthwhile skills but you'll see a broad range of times/scores as something to measure yourself to. No need to get caught up in what others are doing, the only person that matters is you, but knowing where you're at is of value.

A solid few things I'd look at would be Dot Torture, http://pistol-training.com/drills/the-fast, Index card walkback, 25y bulls, Hackathorn Headshot Standard, and the 10-10-10 (two handed only).
    Last edited by orionz06; 09-28-2016 at 07:30 PM.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for your service from a fellow Infantry officer. My biggest learning is to focus on accuracy first and foremost. I am trying to spend more time - specifically starting and ending shooting sessions - with slow fire 25 yard shooting for best possible accuracy.

Rich's 25yard drill is good for beginners.

When you are able to consistently hit above an 80, use a timer (not a shot timer) and shoot all rounds in 60 seconds. Then 45. Then 30 and so forth, this will allow you to induce pressure against accuracy.

You can move on to a 200 drill if you feel comfortable enough to do so.

Base line standards should help you develop the skillsets you need during your normal course of living.

For most a one shot from the draw(concealment) and three shot from the draw at 5 to 7 yards is a good way to practice this, to a shot timer so you can hold yourself accountable.

You can add in dot torture and farhnams if you want to spice it up.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Here's a list of some good drills.

http://pistol-training.com/drills
    i used to wannabe

The Test.

10 rounds, 10 yards, 10 seconds.. The passing score for The Test is 90 points on a NRA B-8 bull. If you can't make the time or the score don't worry about it. Record your data and work at improving.

Wanted to thank everyone who replied to my question- definitely some good information to review during lunch at work today!

I'd also recommend shooting some USPSA, tons to learn and they have a classification system that you can track progress.
    i used to wannabe

I got back into shooting late winter this year. I feel your pain!

If you haven't already, start a journal here.

I find that it's a great way to keep a record and by doing so in "public" it keeps me honest. I value the feedback. It also helps me structure my range sessions, I do my best to be sure every round I fire has a purpose.

I shoot the DOTWs whenever possible and post the results on the threads and keep a note in my journal. Go ahead and see my scores, there's a lot of fail! By gauging my results against the shooters here I have gained a much better idea of where I need to improve. When you put me next to the average dude/dudette at my local range I'm awesome, compared to most here, not so.

Dot torture is a regular for me, I like it as it forces focus over a period of 50 shots (I preload magazines to help keep the pace). I'm using Bill and cadence drills to improve my speed. 25 yard B8 is a challenge but unlike 10 yards it way better at showing my actual skill.

ETA: I've also subscribed to the journals forum, lets me read thru each day what others are doing, helps me answer questions I have without posting and as you see people improve, gives me hope that I can!
    Last edited by hiro; 09-29-2016 at 09:07 AM.

User Tag List