Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bullpups rock! The SA80 is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    My friend Marko (a Bundeswehr vet) likes to say that he wouldn't trust the English to build anything larger or more mechanically complex than a hat.
    Ouch.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

My friend Marko (a Bundeswehr vet from back when they carried the manly G3 instead of the plastic popgun they issue now) likes to say that he wouldn't trust the English to build anything larger or more mechanically complex than a hat.
    Heh.... The truth hurts...

My friend Marko (a Bundeswehr vet from back when they carried the manly G3 instead of the plastic popgun they issue now) likes to say that he wouldn't trust the English to build anything larger or more mechanically complex than a hat.
    Ha! Even at hats, they fail.

The Brits had some kick-ass weapons in World War I and II. The Enfield rifles and Bren LMG, namely. They even supplied the Confederacy with a marksman rifle with effectiveness out to 1000 meters during the American Civil War. Shame.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

This all reminds me of a quote I once heard:

"The pieces falling from this car are of the finest British craftsmanship."

Yeah, but I still want an Austin Healy Bugeye Sprite!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Yeah, but I still want an Austin Healy Bugeye Sprite!
    Good choice!!! My dad and I restored a 1959 Bugeye when I was in high school. Well, he did the "restoring" and I sanded here-and-there and held the flashlight.

And yet, the Brits did just fine with things like the Spitfire when they had to get into it with the Germans.

I'm half Kraut, I can talk smack if I so choose.

Anyway, the SA80 is to be expected coming from a society that killed off it's gun culture and then decided to go and invent a new gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    And yet, the Brits did just fine with things like the Spitfire when they had to get into it with the Germans.
    The Brits also brought us Accuracy International - when they get it right, they REALLY get it right.

While we merrily chastise the SA80 I want to make it very clear that the men I worked with over there were some of the bravest, toughest, most loyal and honorable professional warriors I have ever been afforded the opportunity to work with. Their primarly blaster is a cluster, and one of the big reasons I despise it so much is that those carrying it deserve the best that money can buy.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    How the Brits have managed to maintain their traditions of military excellence despite being decades further down the road to Nerfville than even the softest parts of the US is probably worth a doctoral thesis in and of itself.

I'd wager that an all-volunteer force and strong regimental traditions probably have a lot to do with it, but there's got to be more to it than that.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List