Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullpups rock! The SA80 is awesome!

Bullpups rock! The SA80 is awesome!

Or not. What happens when you ask one of our SMEs (Failure2Stop) on this subject?

The systematic crushing of internet gun commandos' bullpups hopes and dreams, that's what.
    #RESIST

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    ...but, hey! It's made in England, (well, some of it is, anyway) and everything that's made in England is awesome!

This is what happens when people who really don't know about guns, and frankly don't like them all that much, design guns. The SA80 is a bit like a slash fic written by a teenager- lots of theoretical stuff that doesn't really work like that in real life.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    IMO, and I'm not an expert by any stretch, the only decent bullpup out there is the AUG...but even the AUG isn't great.

It's telling that when you look at the world's Tier 1 units, a whole lot of them use the AR pattern weapons rather than whatever their larger armed forces use.

Yeah, not a big fan.

One more thing to mention, since I was unfortunate enough to watch it happen............if you get a bad round, run through a bad gun, and the God's decide to have your gun explode, that wonderful Bull-Pup design has that mechanical explosion taking place next to your face. Not my guy, not my organization, so I passed on pictures (not my place), but it was not pleasant. The young man who lost a good portion of his face was fairly handsome before the accident, and apparently quite popular with the ladies.

Traveled all that way to serve his country, and the free world, only to have his deployment and service cut short by his Bull-Pup stock removing the right side of his face. He will never completely heal from that, and there is only so much cosmetic surgery can do. Truly a shame. And the reality is he is lucky to be alive. That gun is unforgiving.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

SAS loves the SA........

Oops.

ARs....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Yeah, not a big fan.

One more thing to mention, since I was unfortunate enough to watch it happen............if you get a bad round, run through a bad gun, and the God's decide to have your gun explode, that wonderful Bull-Pup design has that mechanical explosion taking place next to your face. Not my guy, not my organization, so I passed on pictures (not my place), but it was not pleasant. The young man who lost a good portion of his face was fairly handsome before the accident, and apparently quite popular with the ladies.

Traveled all that way to serve his country, and the free world, only to have his deployment and service cut short by his Bull-Pup stock removing the right side of his face. He will never completely heal from that, and there is only so much cosmetic surgery can do. Truly a shame. And the reality is he is lucky to be alive. That gun is unforgiving.
    You know that's a great point, we had an AR blow up at the last month's Carbine Match (I didn't make it, I won't until it works again until it works around to me getting the 3rd Saturday off), pieces of the upper receiver, etc, blew off, that could launch directly into the user in an Bull pup.

Heck it's bad enough in an traditional rifle.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Video games have made things worse in giving people a false sense of familiarity, but it existed before that.

I remember how disappointed I was when I first got my hands on an MP-40 and an StG-44. "Ew! These aren't sexy and hi-tech! They're crappy and heavy!"

The StG-44 especially was a revelation. I'd only seen them in pictures and in the hands of toy soldiers, but I'd handled my friend's ChiCom AK (this was, like twenty-mumble years ago) so I was pretty sure I knew what the StG was going to be like...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I'll have to FWD this to a Brit colleague.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Video games have made things worse in giving people a false sense of familiarity, but it existed before that.
    It does lead to incredibly entertaining chains of logic. I used to work QA for a large video game company and I was the resident guy who answered questions related to whether or not guns were animating properly and so forth. Sometimes I'd get asked non-game questions, such as the time I got asked by a programmer, in complete seriousness, "Why did the army get rid of the M14? That thing is a laser in Call of Duty!"

Object oriented programming: easy
    Remembering that video games are poor representations of reality: apparently harder than C++ but probably easier than FORTRAN

User Tag List