Thread: Magguts compatibility with an extended base plate?

Magguts compatibility with an extended base plate?

Was wondering if anyone has ever combined a Magguts spring with a +1 base plate extension such as a Glock 43 Magguts/TT+1 base plate for a net +2 extension.

Magguts seems to sell one for the Shield for a +2 extension while promising to be smaller than factory 8 round mag. Wondering if anyone has tried this particular kit, it is basically a magguts spring + their own base plate extension giving you a +2 round magazine in a size slightly more than the flush mag and less than the factory extended mag.

http://magguts.com/shop/smith-wesson...-wesson-shield

Looks like this

How reliable would this be?

Perhaps they will come out with one for the G43?
    Last edited by Elbowtko; 09-27-2016 at 03:06 PM.

Yep, I've done it with a G42 in these configurations:

I found that I even with a +2 baseplate and +1 follower, I still couldn't cram 9 rounds in the mag. The nice thing it did do is probably create a bit more margin in spring compression, so you could run a full 8rds in the mag, without being 100% compressed, which is certainly nice on my OCD. I'm carrying my G42 less now, and moving back to a G19, but for the times I am carrying the G42, I'm using the TTI pads mainly for their quality of construction and ruggedness. The TTI +1 is excellent for a flush-fitting solution. I will say the TTI +1 with Magguts +1 follower is awfully close to being a true +2, at least in my G42.

If you're looking for something +2 in a G43, but without quite as much mag length, I'd see if you can find a baseplate in between the TTI +1 and +2 in size, and combine it with a Magguts +1 follower. It just might work. Or just carry a pocket full of +2 spares. LOL
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

I ran a magguts +1 follower and spring along with the Pearce +1 for a 8+1 gun.
    The baseplate has to be modded a bit or else you could have issues feeding the second round because the mag is packed too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by evi1joe View Post
    I ran a magguts +1 follower and spring along with the Pearce +1 for a 8+1 gun.
    The baseplate has to be modded a bit or else you could have issues feeding the second round because the mag is packed too tight.
    @evi1joe - what mods did you have to do?

Since this thread was bumped, figured I should mention this. I cannot recommend Magguts magazine mods unfortunately. No matter what configuration I ever tried, I always had the occasional failure to feed, and I believe at least a few double feeds. It's been awhile but, at the time, the best I could figure is it was either an issue with the follower or with the spring length or rate. I think at least part of it was the follower and affecting the angle of feed.

For whatever reason, bullet profile or ogive seemed to also have an effect, and it seemed more prominent with different profile JHPs. In stock form, it was never an issue.

Currently, I'm running the TangoDown Vickers +2 for the G42, and that seems to be fine so far. I haven't reached 1K rounds in this configuration though, so YMMV.

Since my original post, I've realized I should treat the G42 for what it is and stop trying to over-think/engineer it. It's a backup gun or deep concealment gun. Reliability should be number one, with ergonomics and "enhancements" being a distant second. Only other thing of significant importance to me is good sights. If I need just a little more than that, I have a G48. Beyond that, I have a G19. None of that matters much anyways because these days I keep coming back to carrying my P30 LEM.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

User Tag List