Page 73 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

Need some opinions here if possible. I don’t really know where to ask this, so figured I’d get thoughts here. All things being equal, would you guys prefer to pocket carry a .380 LCP or a .327 LCR? I haven’t shot either surprisingly, and need a “rule one gun” for around the house and for NPE-ish carry. Just curious which guns you prefer and which you shoot better. I’m really intrigued by the 327 LCR at 6 rounds, so much so that I’ve even thought of running one for fun in Steel Challenge

(Sorry if this causes thread drift - just wasn’t sure where to ask this question specifically)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Need some opinions here if possible. I don’t really know where to ask this, so figured I’d get thoughts here. All things being equal, would you guys prefer to pocket carry a .380 LCP or a .327 LCR? I haven’t shot either surprisingly, and need a “rule one gun” for around the house and for NPE-ish carry. Just curious which guns you prefer and which you shoot better. I’m really intrigued by the 327 LCR at 6 rounds, so much so that I’ve even thought of running one for fun in Steel Challenge

(Sorry if this causes thread drift - just wasn’t sure where to ask this question specifically)

I would prefer a reliable pocket .380 for a true NPE/around the house gun. Lighter and easier to conceal.

My LCRx.38 is light enough, but doesn’t compare to the LCP/P32 in ease of concealment.

That said, the LCR is more likely to be reliable, and if I had plenty of funds, an LCRx .327 would be something I really looked at.

would you guys prefer to pocket carry a .380 LCP or a .327 LCR?
    Probably merits a new topic or a necro of a one but that does require some fleshing out.

• Weight
    • Capacity
    • Action type, comfort with action
    • Size and manner of dress
    • User ability and performance

I have a LCP Max and .22 LCP on order to explore something similar; albeit compared to a .38 and .22 LCR. My biggest gripe with the .327 LCR was echoed by DB in a recent podcast: I’m not going to load it with .327 so I feel penalized by the heavier .357 steel frame. If Ruger did a .32 H&R on the aluminum .38 frame… my wife would not be happy.

As it stands I’m much more comfortable with a DAO snub in the pocket and appreciate certain features that a snub offers with respect to entanglements, daily life, and a long, heavier-than-SFA trigger.

So, in my context, I’m eager to flesh it all out. My (very) ad hoc list above would suggest the LCPs exceed the LCR in points 1,2, and 4, so point #5 needs attention. I would like think for NPEs and “base layer” life an autoloading mouse gun would be preferential but it would feel awkward to not have a small wheelie stowed away.

/endrambling

/goingtobed
    Last edited by PNWTO; 05-05-2022 at 12:35 AM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Probably merits a new topic or a necro of a one but that does require some fleshing out.

• Weight
    • Capacity
    • Action type, comfort with action
    • Size and manner of dress
    • User ability and performance

I have a LCP Max and .22 LCP on order to explore something similar; albeit compared to a .38 and .22 LCR. My biggest gripe with the .327 LCR was echoed by DB in a recent podcast: I’m not going to load it with .327 so I feel penalized by the heavier .357 steel frame. If Ruger did a .32 H&R on the aluminum .38 frame… my wife would not be happy.

As it stands I’m much more comfortable with a DAO snub in the pocket and appreciate certain features that a snub offers with respect to entanglements, daily life, and a long, heavier-than-SFA trigger.

So, in my context, I’m eager to flesh it all out. My (very) ad hoc list above would suggest the LCPs exceed the LCR in points 1,2, and 4, so point #5 needs attention. I would like think for NPEs and “base layer” life an autoloading mouse gun would be preferential but it would feel awkward to not have a small wheelie stowed away.

/endrambling

/goingtobed

Good points.

A reliable pocket auto, especially a “max” with a long DAO pull, is probably the best NPE pocket gun. You can still shoot them ok and they are safe to carry. The problem is in the reliability department, and that if you get a SFA trigger, I think you lose out on the safety aspect.

If you’re a big guy, and your pants pockets are bigger, then it may be a non issue. For me, I can tell the difference between an LCR and a J frame, but that’s mainly in the grip area.

What stops me from pursuing the .327 LCR is the cost and availability of ammunition.

If I wasn't already sitting here with a .38 LCR, I would be rolling through the mean streets of my AO (okay, okay, gravel roads and two-track section lines) with a .327 LCR.
    Why? Two main reasons:
    1. Regarding pocket carry, I know that my own self can get a much cleaner draw with a small revolver from the pocket.
    2. In my case, much better chance with 5 "for sure", in your case, 6 "for sure". If, it was cleaned and lubed from the last shooting session, and you took the whole 10 seconds to inspect your ammo for high primers, etc, I feel very confident that I will have 5 chances to determine my life's outcome.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    My biggest gripe with the .327 LCR was echoed by DB in a recent podcast: I’m not going to load it with .327 so I feel penalized by the heavier .357 steel frame. If Ruger did a .32 H&R on the aluminum .38 frame… my wife would not be happy.
    I want an LCR, but I'm stuck on this decision. The .38 is nearly 1/4 pound lighter for pocket carry, but I'd rather have 6 rounds and .32 cartridge family.

I may need to resort to coin flipping or cloudreading to decide. If they made an aluminum .32 H&R LCR it would be the best of both worlds.

Hammertime
    All things being equal, would you guys prefer to pocket carry a .380 LCP or a .327 LCR? )
    100% .380 LCP. LCR is too big. Edit: And heavy.

Ever since Rhett @Demonstrated Concepts appeared on my radar, I've been spending a lot more time with my .22 LCR and getting uber happy all over again about buying it. It had been relegated to a training tool and pocket carry on lawn days. Nowadays, when I get home, the Glock goes in the safe and the .22 LCR goes in my waistband.

That role had belonged to my .32 stoked .327 LCR, kinda funny how heavy I now find it in comparison. Trigger is heller smooth in comparison though.

I bought a pocket holster from a @tlong17, but I'll be damned if I can remember the brand. Anyway, pocket carries much better (for me) than the Desantis I'd been using...still too big for actual amongst-the-populace pants pocket carry in anything I own. YPPMV...your pants pockets may vary.
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 05-06-2022 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Ever since Rhett @Demonstrated Concepts appeared on my radar, I've been spending a lot more time with my .22 LCR and getting uber happy all over again about buying it. It had been relegated to a training tool and pocket carry on lawn days. Nowadays, when I get home, the Glock goes in the safe and the .22 LCR goes in my waistband.

That role had belonged to my .32 stoked .327 LCR, kinda funny how heavy I now find it in comparison. Trigger is heller smooth in comparison though.

I bought a pocket holster from a @tlong17, but I'll be damned if I can remember the brand. Anyway, pocket carries much better (for me) than the Desantis I'd been using...still too big for actual amongst-the-populace pants pocket carry in anything I own. YPPMV...your pants pockets may vary.
    Right there with ya. Range time with my 351C and 317 have gone so well, the 317 is lately my pre-dawn local cardio/run/rucking piece of late and around the hacienda. A rabid fox is probably my most probable adversary anyway.

My 351C shipped yesterday to D&L for the J frame sight package.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

My ex's 351C is a stellar snubbie. Every time I handle it, I bemoan how poorly the Clipdraw worked for me on the LCR.

Name:  Clipdraw1.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  87.7 KB

User Tag List