Page 69 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I値l be curious to hear thoughts on the Rogers grip. My LCR indexes high for me since my other carry gun is a 1911 and I知 used to its index. I also prefer a higher grip on the gun. But, I知 concerned about increased recoil with the harder grip material. The 13oz gun already kicks enough.
    I had a pair, I did not like them.
    Kinda made the hand sting.
    I think I gave them to DB.
    "And for a regular dude I知 maybe okay...but what I learned is if there痴 a door, I知 going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

That Novak LCR looks sweet! I wonder what the sights are regulated for?

Site Supporter
    I keep looking at the Bantam Boot Grip for the LCR. It will not fit an LCRx "as is", but I am looking to see if one can be modified to work with the LCRx hammer.

Any thoughts?

Site Supporter
    My LCR is a .38 Spl. I carry it or a J frame at home and sometimes when leaving home. I shoot it well. I understand why some prefer the 9mm version.

Site Supporter
    I recently sold off my j frames to hop back onto the LCR train. I currently have a .38 and a standing order for a .327 at my LGS, and wouldn't mind getting a 22LR model in the future. The 9mm model doesn't offer anything to me, nor does the .357 mag models. If you want ammo commonality, the 9mm is certainly capable, and has some cool tricks up it's sleeves, but I prefer my revolver ammo rimmed after trying to go down that path 6 or 7 years ago.

After literally 4 hours of running the trigger on my .38 as fast as possible I've gone from short stroking the trigger routinely to very rarely, with both hands. After lubrication the trigger pull is in the 9.5 pound range. The stocks need some modification, and a fiber front is in bound along with a boot grip to compare to modified tamer grips.

I forgot how surprisingly nice these ugly ducklings are, and the non-standard caliber offerings aren't really much more money than the standard offerings. Same can't be said for S&W.

As always, PF is a treasure trove of info consolidation.

To consolidate what I've rehashed in my head after reading this thread front to back today and with past memories of these buggers:
    You absolutely can sand and dremel the factory stocks to fit your hands better.
    The Ruger 9mm moon clip holders are no longer in production
    The locks have been abandoned after the first few years of production
    Rogers grips will brutalize your hands
    Ruger boot/bantum grips seem to be the go-to for pocket, or for anything besides the factory tamer grips (call that a clue)
    All sights are pinned, so it is easy to get a usable sight picture (vs a premium price w/ SW)
    The trigger reset/double clutching is a thing - dry fire non-stop and try to avoid "riding the reset" like what was taught 20 years ago
    G10 grips are heavy and no smaller than the LCRx grips
    VZ doesn't think there's a market for LCR grips
    The .327 Fed accepts 4 calibers, of which 32HR Mag seems to be the sweet spot with 20% ammo capacity increase
    The holster that works for a J may not work for you with an LCR
    Phlster city special is a love/hate relationship
    DarkStar Apollo has some love
    JM Custom IB3 w/ DCC monoclip and a "just under belt ride height" has some love
    Wolff does sell lighter hammer springs and replacement cylinder release springs if so inclined (https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/LCR...3/mID52/dID458)
    Cylinders apper to swap between frames in some configurations, but concerns over steel vs. aluminum frames for some cartridges are expressed for good reason
    Nobody thinks the LCR has a better reset than the J frame
    The LCR appears to be huge over a J frame, but is more of an optical illusion
    Pill bottles are very legit for moon clip carry.
    Most replacement front sights will cause a severe POA/POI shift with 9mm/22 - XS sights makes some regulated for those calibers
    LCR disassembly/smoothing video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ72bId6znI

Well, a recent change up (duty belt tweak and new outer vest carrier) to my infrequent uniformed appearance, and I just didn't care for how my CW9 rode. (Frankly, though a perfectly fine little gun, it just seems like a bastard step-child nest to the K9)

My SP101 rode well, but was heavier than I wanted in that role, so this gave me the excuse to actually look for a lightweight snubby, like I'd been contemplating for quite sometime. The local Shriner's lodge had a gun show this past weekend, and I traded into a used .38 LCR.

Name:  IMG_20220321_181558160[1].jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  43.3 KB

This one cane with a Clip Draw, which I'm going to need to remove to record the serial number. I'm experimenting with it in the meantime to see if it will get put back on. Claude Warner has had favorable things to say about the product.

I've got a boot grip and pocket and vest holsters inbound from Mika, who was absolutely delightful to deal with.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Same experience here with Mika.

My LCR .327 arrived today but haven't shot it yet.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Well, a recent change up (duty belt tweak and new outer vest carrier) to my infrequent uniformed appearance, and I just didn't care for how my CW9 rode. (Frankly, though a perfectly fine little gun, it just seems like a bastard step-child nest to the K9)

My SP101 rode well, but was heavier than I wanted in that role, so this gave me the excuse to actually look for a lightweight snubby, like I'd been contemplating for quite sometime. The local Shriner's lodge had a gun show this past weekend, and I traded into a used .38 LCR.

Name:  IMG_20220321_181558160[1].jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  43.3 KB

This one cane with a Clip Draw, which I'm going to need to remove to record the serial number. I'm experimenting with it in the meantime to see if it will get put back on. Claude Warner has had favorable things to say about the product.

I've got a boot grip and pocket and vest holsters inbound from Mika, who was absolutely delightful to deal with.
    Clipdraws have really grown on me. I used to think they were goofy, but these days, they are great additions to Airweight models. I have them on my Smith Model 12s. There is no excuse to not have a revolver near at hand.

The adhesive models also let you tailor to your body and preferred grip/ride angle. I had some slightly oversized grips that didn稚 work with the standard clip draw, but a hack saw removed a quarter inch for a better fit.

The adhesive clips sometimes can go wrong. Lots of rubbing alcohol on your frame and I have taken to using a softer clamp to make sure they set up overnight. That said, with some determination, you can still remove them.

Site Supporter
    Is there much of an advantage to a SP101 vs an LCR .357?

Obviously the SP101 is heavier and that could help with recoil but I remember reading that the LCR was not much worse recoil wise.

For some odd reason I really want an SP101 but I already have an LCR .38, so another LCR makes more sense.

Maybe holster options and speed loader options are better for the SP101?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Is there much of an advantage to a SP101 vs an LCR .357?

Obviously the SP101 is heavier and that could help with recoil but I remember reading that the LCR was not much worse recoil wise.

For some odd reason I really want an SP101 but I already have an LCR .38, so another LCR makes more sense.

Maybe holster options and speed loader options are better for the SP101?
    Ive been through this and I love an SP101 and have tried to justify one. In reality I could never shoot 357 through the one I had without it slicing my finger. When firing 38 special there was nothing that my 642 or 60 couldnt do and do it with less weight. I find the LCR and 642 being interchangeable.

User Tag List