Page 53 of 101 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Seems like Ruger is missing an opportunity — and should offer the “PF kit” of a LCR in 22, 327, 38 and 9mm all packed in a pelican case with the only options being whether you selected the JM, Darkstar or Phlster City holster
    Hahah…….h… wait, these things multiply like gremlins getting wet. Oh hey this 3 inch .22 LCRx is a fun gun to plink with and work on trigger press. Then a 38 because I couldn’t find a 9mm version or ammo for a 327 version. Oh then stumbled in to a 9mm version which in now my work bug. I still want a 327 version. The first LCR I shot was a 327 LCRx with 32 short wadcutters that was a rental. That was just fun putting nice holes in the paper with no real recoil.

And then only if dreams come true, a 2 3/4 - 3 inch dao LCRx, 6 shot 38 length cylinder with the 357 mag frame, bobbed hammer, cut for moon clips, with a 9mm cylinder as well. Slightly better rear sight and a top strap that will take an ACRO or 509t and adapters for a few others.

Oh well maybe they will at least do a 3 inch 327.

Jason

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I freely admit (and lament) that my search-fu is weak sauce. For all my attempts to find more material, I keep winding up on two videos from the same place while looking for .32 ammo info.
    Here you go, fellow doggie styler.....

https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...ed-32-magnums/

pat

There are some interesting thoughts on the 32 magnums here, even if you don't reload.

Site Supporter
    Outdoor Limited has some 32 HR wadcutters and some 327.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    The last bit of gel testing I read in a link from PF indicated better penetration from 32 H&R Mag, rather than .327 Mag. Better penetration, good expansion, and less blast and recoil is a big win in my book. I have a 2 year old LCR 9mm that I adore. A .327 LCR is likely going to be my next gun purchase. It has been a couple of years since I talked to Cecil...need to change that.

pat

I'm moderately curious how they do on bone strikes. .380 ball is the same general weight, but moving slower. It'll break a femur but then it's pretty much out of gas. I'd be concerned a faster and expanding round in the same weight would be likely to fragment.

I never saw a .32 used for realsies except in suicides. It works for under-the-chin shots just fine but stayed in the skull.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Here you go, fellow doggie styler.....

https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...ed-32-magnums/

pat
    Never noticed how the reset side of the ratchet is milled as a giant bevel on the LCR. Kind of a neat touch.

(lead photo from that linked article: )

Name:  32-lead.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  65.2 KB

It also reminded me how annoying it is that Speer discontinued that 115gr .312 Gold Dot. It's the bullet .327 Fed should be loaded with.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-21-2021 at 07:15 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm moderately curious how they do on bone strikes. .380 ball is the same general weight, but moving slower. It'll break a femur but then it's pretty much out of gas. I'd be concerned a faster and expanding round in the same weight would be likely to fragment.

I never saw a .32 used for realsies except in suicides. It works for under-the-chin shots just fine but stayed in the skull.
    I've had similar thoughts. That is why I noted the increased penetration of the H&R loads in gel. I suspect the little magnums are pushed a little too fast with too much expansion to get to the back end of the penetration spec. And intended use is entangled, where the blast helps, and multiple COM, where a 20% payload increase is nice, and heads, where easy shooting is helpful.

Not a walking around town gun, but good enough for yardwork or backup to a bigger piece on paper. I'll have to see how it shakes out.

pat

I picked up my 9mm LCR from my FFL this evening.

I told my wife I had ordered a gun that was uglier than a Glock.

Trigger is very good. Much better stock than any J-Frame I ever shot. Trigger return seems to be OK.

I shot 20 rounds of my IDPA hand load at this steel plate at about 8 yards in the near dark. I could barely see the outline of the sights against the white plate. 15 rounds with the provided moon clips and 5 with no clips. All fired fine. 4 of the loose rounds could be plucked out with a fingernail but the last I needed to push out with a screw driver. It wasn't stuck very bad.

Recoil is noticeable but not as bad as a J-Frame with full power loads. I realized after I got back in the house that I wasn't bleeding like I would have with a J.

I'm anxious to chronograph some ammo.

Name:  IMG_6871.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  30.7 KB

I shot my LCR over the chrono today. 48 degrees and partly cloudy.

147 Fed HST 10 shots averaged 956 fps. Same ammo averaged 1031 fps through my G-19 today.

15 rounds of my handloads averaged 878 fps. They usually go 900 fps through my G-19.

I fired 6 rounds of 38 Special 135 Gold Dot through my 2" Taurus 856 and they averaged 881 fps.

I had previously chronoed 38 Fed Match Wadcutter at 600 fps through a S&W 442.

I consider pistols this size to be pocket guns. If I'm going to carry in a belt holster, I can have a bigger gun that holds more ammo. So what I'm looking for is the compromise of the most powerful and the easiest to carry plus one I can shoot fairly well. There will always be compromises.

Recoil with the LCR is certainly noticeable but not obnoxious. I think it is much easier to shoot than a Ruger SP101 in 9mm. I'm surprised that I didn't bleed or hurt after shooting the LCR like if I had been shooting a J-Frame.

I fired 50 rounds of my handload, 10 HST and 5 Fed AE9FP.

The steel target has hits from 50 or so rounds fired over the chrono. I also shot on IDPA targets. The LCR might be hitting a little high for me, but it was cold today and I wasn't concentrating as much as I should have.

I found in my box of holsters, this Safariland 25 for J-Frames. It seems to fit fine.

Name:  IMG_6872.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  50.8 KB Name:  IMG_6873.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  51.4 KB Name:  IMG_6875.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  52.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    The last time I talked to Cecil he wasnt running 327mag as his defensive round for carry.
    When I run the LCR with more concealable grips (which is most of the time), I load it with 32 H&R. I have a nice set of G10 grips that fill the hand nicely and make the hotter loads easier to shoot so I carry 327 GDs if they are on, but they make the gun a belt only carry so that does not happen too much.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

User Tag List