Page 44 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Bullets are different diameter's, I would NOT advise such a thing to anybody personally.
    .355 vs .357-.358 depending on if it's jacketed or lead. The bullets will swage down assuming the Ruger even bothers to use different barrels. It's not unusual for a manufacturer to use the same barrel between their 9mm and 38/357 guns (and 22lr/22mag). The oft-suggested Federal match wadcutter would be perfectly safe being both low pressure and soft lead.

ETA: You can see nearly that much variation in 38 specials of different vintages. Slugging the barrel would cover off any concerns.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 06-02-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    So... Grabbed what must have been someones sock drawer LCR in 9mm. Didn't really want to deal with moon clips but the price was too good to say no. It is pretty obnoxious with 124gr ball. Much more so than .38spl in a steel frame J. My question to the LCR heads here is: Can I drop a .38 spl cylinder into the gun safely?
    Could you not find someone with a .38 that's interested in trading at less then the cost of a cylinder swap? Just curious as I figured since the 9mm is the new hotness and the .38 is the oldest model maybe that'd be an option. Unless you want the ability to swap back and forth, in which case this post wasn't worth your time to read.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Bullets are different diameter's, I would NOT advise such a thing to anybody personally.
    My 9mm converted 642-1 shoots very well... so barrel/bullet match isn’t a huge deal. Hell, Lee Harvey Oswald managed to use a .38 S&W which was rechambered for .38 Special to kill a Dallas patrol officer... that is 0.361” barrel with a 0.357” bullet.

My issue with the 9mm LCR is the weight... since it is the stainless frame. I felt more comfortable rechambering my Airweight than rechambering a .38 LCR. I’m not that familiar with the LCR’s design to say the alloy .38 setup is good to go with 9mm. At least there was a 942 at one point. [emoji6]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-LCR-3...gAAOSwmuNc1ijK
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    So... Grabbed what must have been someones sock drawer LCR in 9mm. Didn't really want to deal with moon clips but the price was too good to say no. It is pretty obnoxious with 124gr ball. Much more so than .38spl in a steel frame J. My question to the LCR heads here is: Can I drop a .38 spl cylinder into the gun safely?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Could you not find someone with a .38 that's interested in trading at less then the cost of a cylinder swap? Just curious as I figured since the 9mm is the new hotness and the .38 is the oldest model maybe that'd be an option. Unless you want the ability to swap back and forth, in which case this post wasn't worth your time to read.
    Honestly I hadn't considered that. I have no particular attachment to this gun nor the idea of having a dual caliber LCR. It is certainly an option. Know anybody? LOL. The Ebay option posted by JandBJ is certainly a low cost experiment waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Have you tried 147gr? Subsonic is so much better.
    I really want to try some 147 HST through a 9mm LCR. The LGS that I pass on the way home has an indoor range and they've got standing orders to call me to come in for a test fire if they ever take one in trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I really want to try some 147 HST through a 9mm LCR. The LGS that I pass on the way home has an indoor range and they've got standing orders to call me to come in for a test fire if they ever take one in trade.
    I use HST 147 for all my carry autos. But, I now use Win Ranger 147 for the LCR9 because this load seems to have stronger bullet retention. I measured recoil-induced bullet pull in a variety of loads after 8 shots, and the Ranger had the smallest amount. HST wasn't close to causing a problem either, but I went with the Rangers for this reason.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-04-2020 at 12:53 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    My 9mm converted 642-1 shoots very well... so barrel/bullet match isn’t a huge deal. Hell, Lee Harvey Oswald managed to use a .38 S&W which was rechambered for .38 Special to kill a Dallas patrol officer... that is 0.361” barrel with a 0.357” bullet.

My issue with the 9mm LCR is the weight... since it is the stainless frame. I felt more comfortable rechambering my Airweight than rechambering a .38 LCR. I’m not that familiar with the LCR’s design to say the alloy .38 setup is good to go with 9mm. At least there was a 942 at one point. [emoji6]
    Uh, there was exactly ONE 942 if I remember correctly. I'd definitely consider a 9mm converted airweight to be a weapon of last resort. Frame stretch might be measurable at the end of each box of ammo! I think the alloy LCR's design might handle it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Uh, there was exactly ONE 942 if I remember correctly. I'd definitely consider a 9mm converted airweight to be a weapon of last resort. Frame stretch might be measurable at the end of each box of ammo! I think the alloy LCR's design might handle it better.
    Really? My 9mm 642-1 has quite a few rounds down range... with zero issues (and I carry it almost everyday I’m not working). Handful of people have similar guns, both here and on S&W Forum. But hey, what would I know? Not like I’ve had it running in this configuration for the past five years.

J-frames are traditional framed revolvers. The LCR... alloy upper (or stainless), with a polymer lower.

Site Supporter
    I shot the 9mm LCR with some 147gr loads and there was some reduction in felt recoil. The .38, in my hands, is more pleasant to shoot.

User Tag List