Page 39 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    You’ve got pretty decent mitts, and shorter (relatively) thumbs, so you can do the striker-fire grip and make it work.

That said, with compact wheelies, I like to have the strong hand totally in contact with the grip, with the thumb locked down, and the support hand acting in adjunct—sort of like a second TQ on a bleed—to help stop energy leaks.

But don’t take my word for it; take Darryl’s:
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Your grip is fine. I hold my LCR with my thumbs forward, and my j-frame, and my 10mm GP100, etc. You missed the giant forum discussion that Darryl and I had about revolver grip methods a while back.
    This would be a good one for you to peruse and chew on, Rich.

Not that you can't, but you don't have to shoot all guns the same way. Although in both instances you pull the trigger and the bullet comes out of the barrel, the internal and external mechanics are different between your Glocks and LCR. IIRC, DB states in that thread that he had an epiphany when an instructor told him, "That Glock isn't a 1911..quit trying to shoot it like one.", or words to that effect.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I don’t shoot revolvers much, but when I do I use the same grip as for other handguns. Why? Because my index is driven primarily by my support hand, and secondarily by my strong hand. That’s why CZs, Glocks, and even the LCR all index similarly for me.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

This is not how I grip a revo but it’s how I grip Glocks. YMMV

Attachment 49114
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

@OlongJohnson @Sidheshooter @Lex Luthier @JHC @jetfire @Chuck Whitlock @Clusterfrack much appreciate the replies.

I'll also go track down that revolver thread with Nyeti and read up. I coulda missed that for sure; I wasn't quite sure what these "Ree-Voll-Verr" things were when I started shooting, but now I have one.

Appreciate the pointers.

Hokay, one follow up, I stumbled (honest) on these grips for the LCR being sold by Amazon. Can one of you guys tell me, would I be wasting my money buying a set of these? I will be honest and admit that a big part of the attraction is they look cool. I just wonder being kinda hard (G10 is basically plastic, right?) maybe the discomfort would increase. OTOH I only shoot Federal GMM wad cutters to protect my mincy office worker hands.

Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-6124...g-goods&sr=1-2

Name:  grip.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  11.4 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I checked out a set of Pachmayr Renegade laminate grips for a K frame recently. I liked the overall profile in side view, but they were way too square in horizontal cross section, and thick with a somewhat exaggerated palm swell. Would have needed a lot of work to be right. The bigger pic on Amazon looks like these may be similar.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Can one of you guys tell me, would I be wasting my money buying a set of these? I will be honest and admit that a big part of the attraction is they look cool. I just wonder being kinda hard (G10 is basically plastic, right?) maybe the discomfort would increase. OTOH I only shoot Federal GMM wad cutters to protect my mincy office worker hands.

Thoughts?
    What would be your definition of "wasting your money"?

The mission drives the gear train, so what do you think buying these will accomplish for you?

Personally, I don't think the purchase will be a "waste", even if you wind up not caring for them. The Tamer grips that came on your LCR are your only frame of reference, so by comparing and contrasting different styles and types of grips you can begin to get a feel for what fits you best, and what you like and dislike. This is one of the benefits of revolver stocks...to be able to be tailored to the individual. $55 isn't a huge wad of money, and if you were so inclined, you could reshape them repeatedly until they were splinters. (with G10, I believe you'll need proper ventilation)
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

@OlongJohnson @Sidheshooter @Lex Luthier @JHC @jetfire @Chuck Whitlock @Clusterfrack much appreciate the replies.

I'll also go track down that revolver thread with Nyeti and read up. I coulda missed that for sure; I wasn't quite sure what these "Ree-Voll-Verr" things were when I started shooting, but now I have one.

Appreciate the pointers.

Hokay, one follow up, I stumbled (honest) on these grips for the LCR being sold by Amazon. Can one of you guys tell me, would I be wasting my money buying a set of these? I will be honest and admit that a big part of the attraction is they look cool. I just wonder being kinda hard (G10 is basically plastic, right?) maybe the discomfort would increase. OTOH I only shoot Federal GMM wad cutters to protect my mincy office worker hands.

Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-6124...g-goods&sr=1-2

Name:  grip.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  11.4 KB
    Here's the thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-A-DA-Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I'll add...hopefully you are doing some one-handed practice as well

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    What would be your definition of "wasting your money"?

The mission drives the gear train, so what do you think buying these will accomplish for you?

Personally, I don't think the purchase will be a "waste", even if you wind up not caring for them. The Tamer grips that came on your LCR are your only frame of reference, so by comparing and contrasting different styles and types of grips you can begin to get a feel for what fits you best, and what you like and dislike. This is one of the benefits of revolver stocks...to be able to be tailored to the individual. $55 isn't a huge wad of money, and if you were so inclined, you could reshape them repeatedly until they were splinters. (with G10, I believe you'll need proper ventilation)
    Thanks Chuck. Hope all is well.

So the first video review I found on these grips, the person actually didn’t like them and put the OEM grips back on lol.

I think I’ll hold off for now.

Ruger LCR?

GRabbed a freeze frame. Mr, Miculek must have big hands, I’m not sure I could do this.

Attachment 49096
    Thanks all for the advice specific to my situation. I’ll post one more comment then done.

Thanks to @Redhat, I perused the thread on grip. I tried both the thumbnail over thumbnail and c-clamp (my word to describe Mr Miculek’s grip).

Oddly to me it seems my support hand ‘can’ span the gun+support hand. In Dry Practice tonight it seemed there was less front sight movement than using thumbnail over thumbnail.

Here is the c-clamp:

I will try both of these at the range and see how it goes. Much appreciated!

User Tag List