Page 37 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

So, I went into my favorite LGS today, and lo and behold, there was a LNIB original recipe 13.5 oz .38 LCR. 3 bills. Sweet trigger. I’ll pick it up whenever WA state’s new retrograde background check retardery decides I can. I guess I’ve officially begun the shift over to the LCR for my 2" 5-shot needs.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    I've said this before, but as one who had the unrealistic optimism to hope for the "ultimate compromise" in light weight plus maximal potency in a CCW gun, and who accordingly tested all available premium commercial .357 Magnum loads (20-50 rounds each, in bullet weights from 110gr to 158gr) in my two S&W 340PDs about ten years ago, I can say from experience that ".357 is not an optimal solution" in these little lightweight guns.

The better .38 Special loads proved more accurate than any of the .357 loads, with the Gold Dot Short Barrel .38 Special+P JHP coming out on top, which load of course also had less felt recoil than any of the .357 rounds.

So... IMNSHO, if you're going to carry a short-barrel lightweight 5-shot revolver, get one in dedicated .38 Special configuration if you can, rather than .357.

Why put up with the longer cylinder holes' fouling and the effectively-longer bullet jump from cylinder to forcing-cone, when shooting .38 Special+P is both probably a bit more accurate and faster for follow-up shots?

I think most guys who buy .357 Magnum rather than .38 Special lightweight snubby revolvers imagine that they're "maximizing their options", but then they never shoot anything through them but .38 Special loads, so in the case of the LCR, unless you really do want the extra weight of the .357, I'd get the dedicated .38 Special version, and that's what I have indeed done (two LCRs, both .38 Special), in fact almost all my .38 Special "snubby" revolvers are made of alloys, while all my .357 revolvers are solid steel.

The dedicated .38 Special version will be both lighter to carry and easier to clean, and maybe a bit more accurate.
    If we wanted a dedicated .38 AND the extra weight, could we install a .38 cylinder in a 357 frame? eBay has lots of 38 cylinders listed

I don't think so, as cylinders in dedicated .38 Special guns are typically slightly shorter than .357 Magnum cylinders, I believe, so if you put a too-short cylinder into a frame whose cylinder opening is over-long for it, there'll be an open gap between the cylinder face and the forcing cone.

(I don't have either a .38 Special or .357 revolver nearby at present, so I can't measure the differences, but that's my guess.)
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I just measured LCR 357. Cylinder length about 1.56"

My .38 & .22LR. The .38 is my EDC with Winchester Super X 148gr WCs. I carried J frames for years before I got the .38 around 7-8 years ago. If I could only keep one it would be that one. Its the most practical, easy to carry (pocket), easiest to shoot accurately carry piece Ive ever experienced.
    Name:  LCRs (2).jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  60.5 KB

Love the LCR9mm

I started shooting the LCR9mm about 5 years ago. Heard all the nonsense of crimp jump etc. I was a terrible shot with one. But for me that was a challenge. Started shooting that gun on a regular basis and fell in love with it. Just a fun gun to shoot. This side of Pleasant before going over and can shoot a lot of rounds in one session. Typically load up about 40 moon clips before a range session. (Ruger moon clips suck, I buy mine for Speedbeeze). I love moon clips, fast, easy to load, easy to carry. I love the 9mm, like the ballistics, recoil is on the mild side, like the ballistics, and Love the cost. Especially since I love shooting the gun. The 327 was not for me. My God that thing is loud and ammo cost a fortune in comparison.
    The crip jump is a non issue. Yes some cheap crap will do this, but you quickly find out what works with no problem. I had a discussion with the Ruger Tech one day and he asked me what ammo I preferred. I said American Eagle and a Lot of Fiocchi. He said, Fiocchi is what they use to test the guns.
    I was shooting this gun so often that I went out and bought a LCR22. NOW that turned out to the ONE very fun gun to shoot. I love taking it to the range. Love 8 fast shots at multiple targets.

I can say enough good thinks about the LCR9mm. Just a lovely snub nose revolver that once learned is easy to shoot and as accurate as you want to make it.

Here is a Great Link about the LCR9mm! A lot of good facts. http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/search?q=lcr+9mm

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia View Post
    I love the 9mm, like the ballistics, recoil is on the mild side,
    I too found the 9mm accurate, reliable and easy to load, but feel I must provide a counterpoint as I find the recoil extremely annoying. So much so, I haven't shot it much since I tested it with 2,000 rounds. Every time I take it to the range I am done in less than 50. I am a bit recoil sensitive and don't have a ton of experience with a ton of stuff besides 9mm autos to take it for what it is worth.

Name:  IMG_20200215_135816~2.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  22.9 KBName:  IMG_20200215_135110~2.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  22.8 KB

.38 cylinder drops right into a 357 frame. Gap is about the same to my eye, rotates and locks up just the same. My 357 is 2011 manufacture, the 38 cylinder is 2017 I think. A great example of modern manufacturing and the tolerance they acheive.

I will take it to the range soon I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by ekrauos View Post
    Name:  IMG_20200215_135816~2.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  22.9 KBName:  IMG_20200215_135110~2.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  22.8 KB

.38 cylinder drops right into a 357 frame. Gap is about the same to my eye, rotates and locks up just the same. My 357 is 2011 manufacture, the 38 cylinder is 2017 I think. A great example of modern manufacturing and the tolerance they acheive.

I will take it to the range soon I hope.
    This makes me wonder about getting a 9mm cylinder in a 38 frame... airlight-ish 9mm thoughts.

I apparently need a 12 step program to stop buying new guns...
    LCRx 3” 38 found a new home with me this week. Couldn’t pass it up for $319 out the door. And it’ll be a nice companion for the Puma lever gun and the 77/357 and the Contender SBR... and so it continues.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    This makes me wonder about getting a 9mm cylinder in a 38 frame... airlight-ish 9mm thoughts.
    Ruger specifically put the 9mm in the steel .357 frame for safety... Dropping it in an alloy frame .38 seems like asking for a prosthesis. JMHO.

User Tag List