Page 35 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I have, and use, both. 357 with 38's for range use and belt carry, 38 model for the pocket. I need to get a set of the Hogue boot grips or Eagle Secret Service grips for the 38. I friggin love the LCR family (4 in total, the other two are 22's) so much that I'm down to one J frame, and it's an older model 63.
    How much do the Hogue boots help with pocket carry? I have the CTC and it is not happening.

I've said this before, but as one who had the unrealistic optimism to hope for the "ultimate compromise" in light weight plus maximal potency in a CCW gun, and who accordingly tested all available premium commercial .357 Magnum loads (20-50 rounds each, in bullet weights from 110gr to 158gr) in my two S&W 340PDs about ten years ago, I can say from experience that ".357 is not an optimal solution" in these little lightweight guns.

The better .38 Special loads proved more accurate than any of the .357 loads, with the Gold Dot Short Barrel .38 Special+P JHP coming out on top, which load of course also had less felt recoil than any of the .357 rounds.

So... IMNSHO, if you're going to carry a short-barrel lightweight 5-shot revolver, get one in dedicated .38 Special configuration if you can, rather than .357.

Why put up with the longer cylinder holes' fouling and the effectively-longer bullet jump from cylinder to forcing-cone, when shooting .38 Special+P is both probably a bit more accurate and faster for follow-up shots?

I think most guys who buy .357 Magnum rather than .38 Special lightweight snubby revolvers imagine that they're "maximizing their options", but then they never shoot anything through them but .38 Special loads, so in the case of the LCR, unless you really do want the extra weight of the .357, I'd get the dedicated .38 Special version, and that's what I have indeed done (two LCRs, both .38 Special), in fact almost all my .38 Special "snubby" revolvers are made of alloys, while all my .357 revolvers are solid steel.

The dedicated .38 Special version will be both lighter to carry and easier to clean, and maybe a bit more accurate.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    My .357 will hold 2" groups at 7y free hand with both standard pressure and +P .38 loads. I don't know how much more accurate a .38 only would be, but I figure it's immaterial for me and my uses.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    How much do the Hogue boots help with pocket carry? I have the CTC and it is not happening.
    I can't say for sure as I don't have a set yet. Need to get off my ass and order some. I have read reports that they help a lot as compared to the factory grips. For $25, I figure it's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I can't say for sure as I don't have a set yet. Need to get off my ass and order some. I have read reports that they help a lot as compared to the factory grips. For $25, I figure it's worth a shot.
    The hogue boot grip works 100% better for pocket carry than the normal grip. And it still has the gel insert to tame recoil. For pocket carry it is a win-win.

So I modified my boot grip for carry. I like it much better that way,. Modified for my hand. Using a dremel. I figure if I messed it up it's only 20 bucks. Works fine for pocket carry too.

However I went back to the j frame. The LCR trigger was too long and while better out of the box, I occasionally had short strokes when running and gunning. Once I had my j frame gone over by Nelson Ford, the trigger is great. I prefer the j frame but carry the LCR 357 occasionally. I put a lot of rounds downrange on both of them to come to that conclusion.

I
    Last edited by eb07; 06-18-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    So I modified my boot grip for carry. I like it much better that way,. Modified for my hand. Using a dremel. I figure if I messed it up it's only 20 bucks. Works fine for pocket carry too.

However I went back to the j frame. The LCR trigger was too long and while better out of the box, I occasionally had short strokes when running and gunning. Once I had my j frame gone over by Nelson Ford, the trigger is great. I prefer the j frame but carry the LCR 357 occasionally. I put a lot of rounds downrange on both of them to come to that conclusion.

I
    Notice any difference size-wise in your pocket between the two?

Sold my LCR a while back. Going to grab either another LCR, or a 442/642.

Quote Originally Posted by ratter75 View Post
    Notice any difference size-wise in your pocket between the two?

Sold my LCR a while back. Going to grab either another LCR, or a 442/642.
    Yes LCR is a little longer and taller so the naturally the grip is closer to the pocket opening. With shorter pockets J frame is still gone. LCR bulges a bit at pocket opening.

I only pocket carry in my deep pocket shorts anymore, mostly it's AIWB so that is a moot point for me but yes the LCR is slightly longer and taller so it makes a difference.

XS LCR22 front sight

Did not even know this existed...
    https://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/..._p_160721.html

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    For the rimfire LCRs only.

User Tag List