Page 3 of 101 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    How is the recoil with the 9mm LCR? I shot a coworker's S&W 940 when they came out and found it excessive for my taste. Strange thing is that shooting magnums out of my SP101 didn't bother me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Recoil is much better than the .327! I didn't find it notable; on a par with .38's out of my 340.

Quote Originally Posted by lawnguy View Post
    Is 9mm ammo cheaper in price than 38 or 357?
    Not sure of .38, or .357, but I buy good brass case 9mm ammo from www.sgammo.com at around $200 a case of 1,000, or 0.20 a round.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Recoil is much better than the .327! I didn't find it notable; on a par with .38's out of my 340.
    Less expensive ammo that I already have (9mm), less felt recoil, and the ability to quickly reload (compared to non-moon clip revolvers) are the reasons I am going to buy a LCR in 9mm. I look forward to running a number of timed drills to benchmark performance both against other pocket pistol options and against full size pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    [QUOTE=HopetonBrown;506259 This is starting to feel cyclical.[/QUOTE]

New to the Internet?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    How many people are "very proficient" with an LCR in the world?
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    What would your definition of "very proficient" with an LCR 9mm? Like drills/times? Lawnguy says he wants to become very proficient with one, but I suspect the number of people who are legitimately very proficient with an LCR 9mm probably number in the double digits.
    It is pretty clear you have an idea in your head what constitutes proficient, based on your use of "proficient" in your first post, and your assertion that the number of people proficient is in two digits.

I also don't understand the butthurt about me referencing Bill Rogers in this thread on the LCR and the thread on the .22 magnum, as he has lots of experience with both of these. That is no different than me discussing Glock appendix draws with Gabe, shooting the PX4 Compact with Ernest, shooting the single stack with Robbie Leatham, the 2011 Limited gun with Manny Bragg, the Brig TAC with Les Pepperoni, the VP9 with Talionis, and the building of 9mm 1911 pistols with Bill Wilson. I thought that was a feature of who we have access to because of PF, as opposed to a defect?

Bill Rogers, for example, runs a boatload of intro students through their school test with the LCR .22, LCR 9, M&P 22 and M&P 9, and has objective data on performance with all.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    Is there a link to or a picture floating around of Bill Rogers stocks for the LCR?

To the original poster -this is not my recommendation for a daily carry LCR but what I would like is a 327 Federal magnum to play around with. I'd like to try some different loads in 32 S&W Long and 32 H&R Magnum on my reloading press. I like the 6 shots in that LCR frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was just on Ruger's site - there is a .327 LCR available.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Not sure of .38, or .357, but I buy good brass case 9mm ammo from www.sgammo.com at around $200 a case of 1,000, or 0.20 a round.

Rich - thanks for the link for sgammo. Right now, I'm shooting all .45 ACP and the prices there for that caliber are much better than the others I've seen. What has your experience been with consistency with the brands there?

Site Supporter
    In general, yes.

Site Supporter
    I've seen the 327 LCR at shows here for about $450. I have a 632 - 3 inch barrel, SS, compensated with an exposed hammer. I mentioned it elsewhere. With 327 rounds it does have a kick but not a problem if you practice with it. It is less of a kick than a 38 +P from a 642 in my subjective opinion.

One thing I'm noticing when I run the J's is that I find my skills with them more perishable. I took Claude's course on snubbies and try to practice with them. However, my trigger time is much less than my Glocks or 1911. I find that in a match my first stage with a semi - just fine - no noticeable oops beyond my usual. However, with the J's the first stage is where my grip and sight picture haven't click it again (not enough practice) and it can be crappy. Later, they settle down.

Should I practice more intensively - maybe, time and money plus that my Glocks are my majority EDC probably cut down on that practice time

For our OP - look - let's cut to the chase.

1. You need to decide how are you going to carry? I've decided that the J's (642 and 432) pocket guns. The 632 is a belt gun but I bought it for grins. Would it be a good carry gun - yep. But not as good as a Glock. More rounds, shoot it better, faster, etc.

2. You need to train your butt off if you get one of the smaller guns. You need a class or two and then need to try it outside of the square range. Shoot IDPA, IPSC or Steel Challenge to see if you are worth snot in a speed, stress, accuracy regime.

3. If you don't even know basic ammo prices - that's a whole lot of ignorance out there and suggested equipment questions are secondary to getting mindset and basic skills.

Site Supporter
    Going back to the OP's question....

If you were to buy a Ruger LCR for primary conceal carry,and also shoot every month to stay very proficient which one would you buy,and why?
    I have an LCR38 that I use as a gym shorts gun, and it works well in that role because of the light weight. But, even with wadcutters, I can't say that I enjoy shooting it very much, and if I didn't also have steel revolvers to practice with, along with a decent amount of trigger time on other handguns, I don't think I'd ever be very good with it. So, I'm very hesitant to recommend an LCR as your main handgun. I find 9mm autos, even the small ones, to be much more enjoyable to shoot, and not really any more difficult to carry so long as the wardrobe includes a belt. But, if I was to buy an LCR for primary use, and I was going to run it from a belt holster, I'd strongly consider buying the .357 Mag version, on account of it being 2 oz heavier, and then only using .38 spl ammo.

If the LCR was really going to be my primary, I'd also buy an LCR22 to use as a trainer.

I haven't shot a 9mm LCR, but the logistics and economy of shooting 9mm are very attractive, and the Rogers carrier mentioned earlier looks like it would adequately protect the reloads for EDC carry, which is a potentially serious problem with moon clip reloads. Not having to mess with the sights to get it to shoot to POA would also be a major plus IMHO. My 38 shot way high with the stock front sight, which is consistent with the info GJM posted from Bill Rogers.

Also FWIW, if pocket carry is a consideration, I think the Smith J-frames (e.g. 442, 642, etc.) are better suited for that role than the Ruger LCR. The LCR is a little larger, and just doesn't fit many pants pockets as well.

TL/DR version: I wouldn't use an LCR as my primary. But it I was forced to, it'd be a 9mm, or .357 loaded with .38's, and I'd want a 22 as a trainer.

User Tag List