Page 23 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

Quote Originally Posted by 4gallonbucket View Post
    No personal experience, but check out the recent Military Arms Channel YouTube videos on this very subject

https://youtu.be/1YTOV4dYLQE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Muzzle energy and felt recoil /= penetration depth and expansion

In something as small as a J frame or similar snubbie, I value shoot ability and the ability to place my shots more than the “power” of the load itself. What good does .357 Magnum from a snub do me if it hurts like hell and I can’t place my shots well?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Had an LCR in 9mm and it was pretty stout if I recall. I shot a .357 LCR the other day with wadcutters and it was enjoyable and tolerable. May try the 9mm again. .357 is that 17 oz. gun were not fun, doable, but not fun.

I think Ruger should redo the .22 LCR’s both WMR and LR. 6 and 8 shots? Really, the older Taurus 941 and 94’s were stufffing 9 .22LR’s and 8 .22 WMR’s in there. Also, I think the .22’s are 16.6 vs S&W 351 at 11.5. C’mon give us 8-9 shots in a lighter package.

Overall the LCR has a pretty nice assortment of avilable grips, sights, and holsters.

Hammertime
    Shot 150 through the 9mm LCR today. At first I wasn’t sure I would get through 50 as the recoil is quite stout, especially with the little boot grip. It isn’t .357 stout, but certainly felt significantly worse than .38 from the steel 3” 101.

But I soldiered on and adapted to it. I just gripped a little looser and let it jump around a bit and that seemed to help.

245-2 on the super test using reloads to get 10 rounds.

Almost 10 for 10 in the black at 25 yards which surprised the heck out of me.

So it will do its part if you will. Sight seems on except it likes a 6:00 hold.

Going to put this in the “like it for a specific role” category. That role is pocket gun only. It is so big that for the belt I would prefer any automatic.

I have never been able to take a shine to any gun larger than an LCP for pocket carry, but this one may do it. Something about the shape is just brilliant for the pocket despite the extra weight. I think the weight being toward the front and the lack of a big square slide in the back. Plus the rear sights won’t cut a hole in trousers like so many single stack 9mms will.

Don’t try steel ammo in it. It will run but it was kind of unhappy. Rounds stick in chambers. I won’t be trying it again.

Hammertime
    Shot 220 rounds LCR 9mm.

I was excited to shoot it again. I really like the fact that you can load a crap ton of cheap moon clips to have a bunch of ammo ready to go at the range.

Name:  FF0245FF-ADCD-4462-9335-01345D3E1652.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  60.6 KB

Since last update, I took off the boot grip and put on the Rogers hard plastic grip. After a few rounds I could tell that was a mistake. This grip is painfully hard. Plus this gun is more thatn my recoil sensitivity likes. Didn't stop me from shooting a decent amount today.

Did the 5X5 test @10:
    -5 rounds to 8": 7.54
    -5 reload 5: 17.20-2
    -5 SHO: 10.43-2
    -4 body 1 head: 7.44-2
    Total: 42.61-6= 48.61

That is about twice my speed with a typical service sized semi auto.

Sighted in HST 147 grain and Ranger T +P at 25 yards only to find they both hit 7" high. Grrr.

Started Dot Torture at 6 only to find the 147 grain AE and Lawman both hit 2.25" high at 6 yds essentially making them hit the dot above the one I was aiming at. Grrr.

Re-did Dot T @5 only 40/50. By this point I am getting pretty shaky from the beating.

Supertest: 25.15, 15.65, 11.31= 265-1
    Supertest #2: 18s, 14s, 9s = 273 clean.

Name:  65868DC7-C6D4-49C2-867B-1636A31059D7.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  31.8 KB

Reloads take me 4.5-5 sec so the second super test I was shooting fast enough to make time limits. splits at 5 were 0.30-.33 or about 0.10 slower than my semi auto times.

Draws to first shot 3X5@5 1.2 seconds average.

Thoughts on the LCR 9mm:

Reliable, but kind of punishing to shoot. But I actually really like shooting it.

Weight loaded with 147 HST is 19.0 oz placing it between the G42(16.3) and G43(21.6) almost perfectly. It is light enough for pocket carry. But, in the Nemesis holster it is pretty bulky, prints badly, and screams "gun in the pocket" to me.

I will need to adjust sights if I keep it. It is just hitting way too high.

Love reloading from moon clips. Makes revolver shooting a real pleasure.

Research tells me that the 9mm LCR gives around .357 ballistics from the 2" barrel with less than .357 recoil. However, it is still pretty stout and I can't see any real use for this revolver with the single stack semi auto options out there. If I can find a holster I like to pocket the G42, I would definitely take it over the LCR.

I take possession of an LCR .22 next week and that may be the ticket for a pocket carry revolver.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 08-16-2018 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Looking for a lower price option for practice for .38 WC ammo - does anyone have experience with this Magtech brand at Brownells for $21.99/50?

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...prod95160.aspx

My LGS has S&B for $28/50, and I do t seem to be finding many options at other shops around me.

Thanks!
    Brownell’s is having a sale on this ammo ($16.99), so I ordered three boxes and a Bore store sock for my Ruger New Model Blackhawk to get the free shipping.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Brownell’s is having a sale on this ammo ($16.99), so I ordered three boxes and a Bore store sock for my Ruger New Model Blackhawk to get the free shipping.
    it is now out of stock.

The You Tube would have been more complete if an LCR & SP101 in .327 Fed Mag would have been included. IMO.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I take possession of an LCR .22 next week and that may be the ticket for a pocket carry revolver.
    Also order up a Speed Beez and matching loading block for it. My .22 LCR is my pocket/lazy day/NPE gun with CCI Stingers or Mini-Mag hollowpoints. The Speed Beez has proven quite rugged and reliable for me. As a bonus, it fully seats the cartridges when loading. Speed strips leave me rimming the cylonder with my thumb to make sure all case heads are flush before closing the cylinder.

As for POA/POI, mine dots the post and I dig it. Oh, and I'm running the slimmer Hogue boot grips with harder side panels that are less grabby/printy in a pocket.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Point Aficionado View Post
    Also order up a Speed Beez and matching loading block for it.
    Excellent, the Speed Beez .22 loading block and loader arrived yesterday with the Moon clips. They seem to be a great company with good product and quick shipping.

305 more through the 9mm LCR today shooting steel. Back to the original Ruger/Houge grip and it is much more tolerable. Anyone who wants a Rogers grip, PM me.

Nearly 700 rounds with three light strikes on Russian steel ammo as the only drama. I am going to keep abusing it til 2000 or it quits.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Excellent, the Speed Beez .22 loading block and loader arrived yesterday with the Moon clips. They seem to be a great company with good product and quick shipping.

305 more through the 9mm LCR today shooting steel. Back to the original Ruger/Houge grip and it is much more tolerable. Anyone who wants a Rogers grip, PM me.

Nearly 700 rounds with three light strikes on Russian steel ammo as the only drama. I am going to keep abusing it til 2000 or it quits.
    Keep abusing it — does the “it” refer to the Ruger or your hands?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List