Page 21 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Cleaning the LCR ...yesterday evening, I paid attention to the forward part of the cylinder walls. There was a fair amount of crud built up.
    Yeah, wadcutter loads do seem to be a good bit dirtier than many other .38 Special loads IME too.

I assume this was in part due to the wadcutters being flush with the case and the hot gasses passing out, thus leaving burnt deposits in a 'ring'.
    Yes, the overall length of the wadcutter rounds is necessarily shorter, so there's a longer "freebore" length to get dirty. (I presume BTW that you're meaning the insides of the cylinder holes, not just the front cylinder face.)

This being the case, I used what I had, namely Hoppes spray Bore Cleaner as well as some liquid No. 9 and scrubbed them with a brass bristle, a nylon bristle, a patch on a jag and finally a bore snake. The cylinders were clean but I could still see the 'ring' on the steel.

Am I overthinking this and this is ok/normal? Just wanted to ask since I am just starting out and if need to adjust my revolver cleaning technique I'd welcome your thoughts.
    My own experience (I have two .38 Special LCRs) is that they clean up pretty easily, including the entire length of the cylinder holes, and all I shoot in mine is standard 148gr wadcutters, since those shoot right to POA in my hands.

(The few other .38 Special loads I've tried so far in these two LCRs, including Remington 158gr+P LSWCHP, Speer 135gr+P "short barrel" JHP and more recently Buffalo Bore 150gr wadcutters, unfortunately do not have as good a correspondence between POA and POI at 5-11 yards as I'd like, unlike in multiple S&W J-frames.)

Anyway, I patch out the cylinder holes and bore with M Pro-7 on a ribbed (not slotted) brass jag, followed by brushing them with a brass brush (.357 for bore, oversized for cylinder holes), followed by letting the cylinder holes and bore sit for about a half hour filled with Gunslick Bore Cleaning foam, followed by a few more M Pro-7 soaked patches.

(I brush the cylinder faces, recoil shield, inner topstrap and other frame areas with M Pro-7 using a nylon toothbrush. The forcing cone area usually needs more attention than elsewhere, of course.)

Anyway, I've had no buildup of residue inside the cylinder holes using this regimen, but I do clean the guns after every shooting.

Unless I am advised otherwise I continue to plan to use the wadcutters as practice and SD ammo.
    Since your target implies excellent correspondence between POA & POI with 148gr wadcutters (not to mention a good hold on your part), I'd say that makes good sense.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Thanks, good info. I was not aware the .357 and .38 rounds differed in length.
    Basically so you can't accidentally shove a .357 in a .38 revolver.

I don’t currently have any plans to shoot .357 ammo
    I carry .38+P, but am required to use expanding ammo. Wadcutters are a good plan.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Ordered a DeSantis Nemesis which arrived today.

Very pleased with it.

DESANTIS N38 The Nemesis Pocket Holster Ambidextrous Black J-Frm/LCR/SP101 Nylon N38BJN3Z0 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003K7X75U..._3mKvBbZ2CMXEZ

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Basically so you can't accidentally shove a .357 in a .38 revolver.

I carry .38+P, but am required to use expanding ammo. Wadcutters are a good plan.
    I finally shot wadcutters. It was night and day difference in my ability to enjoy shooting my 637.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Miculek dusts his rubber grips with corn starch to make then a little less rubbery.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I don’t currently have any plans to shoot .357 ammo; reading Doc’s BUG sticky he seems to indicate 148 SWC’s make a good SD load. The fact they are easy to shoot as well is a huge bonus, practically as well as financially.
    After touching off the one Magnum round, my son lost all interest in that particular exercise. And frankly, after I touched off the next three, I lost any desire to shoot the fifth and final round in the cylinder.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 07-24-2018 at 03:04 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Ruger LCR?

Thanks.

When the guys at p-f recommend a holster, I pay attention.

Ordered.

In orange of course. [emoji41]
    Well, cool:

@Dark Star Gear

Thanks Tom. Much obliged. Fit is perfect. Love the color. [emoji41]
    Last edited by RJ; 07-25-2018 at 06:00 PM.

Looking for a lower price option for practice for .38 WC ammo - does anyone have experience with this Magtech brand at Brownells for $21.99/50?

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...prod95160.aspx

My LGS has S&B for $28/50, and I do t seem to be finding many options at other shops around me.

Thanks!

Looking for a lower price option for practice for .38 WC ammo - does anyone have experience with this Magtech brand at Brownells for $21.99/50?

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...prod95160.aspx

My LGS has S&B for $28/50, and I do t seem to be finding many options at other shops around me.

Thanks!
    I have no experience with the ammo in the link above however, I just ordered some of these last night for my myself, my brother, and @Irelander. They have a few promotions going on right now depending on how much you order.

Precision delta reloads.. $230/k delivered

http://www.precisiondelta.com/produc...ed-ammunition/
    Last edited by jandbj; 08-11-2018 at 07:49 AM.

User Tag List