Page 12 of 101 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

Ruger LCR?

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Rich- you were talking about the dog walking revolver around Christmas time [emoji41] just flip a coin and buy one!
    My LCR goes with me every time I walk the Rottie.
    Too true. I had to turn the P30SK into a G26.5 first. [emoji41]
    Last edited by RJ; 06-09-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Rich - again, the difference in weight in any airweight snub is negligible. I sold my 642 because I couldn't keep up with the Motrin required to train with it when shooting our issued 158gr +P LHPs. The key to managing recoil and "comfort" with a small revolver is ammunition selection - which is why guys like Doc GKR recommend looking at old fashioned 148gr WCs. Very easy to shoot even in stupidly light revolvers.

But, when all is said and done, you can't beat physics. When you shoot a heavy-ish load out of a small light pistol with no moving parts to "bleed" energy through friction, spring compression, etc., it all goes into your hands and wrists.

If you must have a snub, and want to actually train with it, you should get something steel framed, or be prepared for discomfort.
    Or a .22. Or be prepared to roll mouse fart loads.

Site Supporter
    How big a difference are 148 gr WCs vs 158 gr +P HPs?

The 158g I shot to qualify with my 637 killed my hand by the end of it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

A lot. Depending on who/what company loaded which round, there may be 300fps difference. And a lot of recoil difference.

Ruger LCR?

Interested as well. I plan to shoot my Ruger new model Blackhawk for the first time today. Nothing like a J frame, obviously but I plan to get some regular .38 special and compare with the WC, mostly for my education. Assuming I get a snubby at some point, I’m interested in the WCs. The Scandium J frame rental I shot smacked my hand pretty well. If the alloy J’s are the same, I’ll be looking into an all steel 340 or 340PD as suggested up thread by @Hideeho
    Last edited by RJ; 06-10-2018 at 07:19 AM.

There's quite a difference, though I wouldn't regard 158gr+P LSWCHP .38 Special as especially burdensome to shoot, in modest amounts.
    148gr wadcutters have significantly less felt recoil than heavier +P .38 Special loads, in any case, and less, per my perception, than typical 9mm loads too.

(Maybe I'm getting crustier in my old age, but I was surprised when yesterday I shot 150 rounds of commercial factory 158gr .357 Magnum in one of my 2.25" barrel rubber-gripped SP101s, most of it one-handed, and found it not at all uncomfortable. Not especially precise and accurate, mind you, but not uncomfortable. )
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

FWIW, I have been issued a .357 LCR for a couple of years now. Duty load is Speer 135gr GDHP or the Winchester 135gr +p HP load. Practice load is usually WWB 130gr FMJ. The loads depend upon the state contract at the time.
    Anyway, I don’t find any of these loads to be uncomfortable during long shooting sessions. I suppose the extra weight and factory stocks have something to do with it.
    The trigger return does take lots of practice to get familiar with. I wish Ruger made these with a heavier trigger return spring. They would be soooooooo much better then!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KPD View Post
    FWIW, I have been issued a .357 LCR for a couple of years now. Duty load is Speer 135gr GDHP or the Winchester 135gr +p HP load. Practice load is usually WWB 130gr FMJ. The loads depend upon the state contract at the time.
    Anyway, I don’t find any of these loads to be uncomfortable during long shooting sessions. I suppose the extra weight and factory stocks have something to do with it.
    The trigger return does take lots of practice to get familiar with. I wish Ruger made these with a heavier trigger return spring. They would be soooooooo much better then!
    That's interesting that you get issued one. I assume as a BUG.

Are there any after market options for a TRS?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Interested as well. I plan to shoot my Ruger new model Blackhawk for the first time today. Nothing like a J frame, obviously but I plan to get some regular .38 special and compare with the WC, mostly for my education. Assuming I get a snubby at some point, I’m interested in the WCs. The Scandium J frame rental I shot smacked my hand pretty well. If the alloy J’s are the same, I’ll be looking into an all steel 340 or 340PD as suggested up thread by @Hideeho
    Rich--The 640 Pro is all steel. the M&P340 is aluminum frame/steel cylinder. The 340PD is scandium frame/titanium cylinder. Both have steel barrels. My recommendation for a first J frame is the 640 Pro. Heavy is better when first learning revolvers. If you are leaving to Ruger, a 3" SP101 followed by an LCR.

I've been shooting revolvers for 40 years. But I did not start with a J-frame. My first revolver was an issued Model 10 with fixed sights. I had to qualify on that before I could buy an off-duty revolver. I think starting big then learning small is essential. It's analogous to learning a G17/19 before moving to a G26/43. I think the frustration some people have is they jump right to small J frames/LCR's before learning the nuances of revolver shooting. Ideally, think about a Model 10 or 64 w/4" barrel as you begin your revolver journey. The Blackhawk is a nice range toy. It will not help you develop D/A trigger skills. In fact, it could cause you to rely on cocking the hammer, which is bad when it comes to training for J-frame carry. I offered up the 640 Pro as a shortcut from K-frame to J-frame. The sights and weight are the reason I think you could cut the corner.

Ammunition is critical. In my case I carry Federal 158 grain +P SWCHP (Federal 38G) and train with Precision Delta remanufactured 158 grain SWC. They both shoot same POA/POI, which is essential when selecting carry/training ammo. I've also carried Precision Delta 158 grain SWC new ammo and trained with their remanufactured ammo.

As always, YMMV.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    The 340 /330 PD isn’t steel. That is the 640. I love my 640 PRO but it’s a bit too heavy for apocket gun unless you wear nothing but jeans or carhartt work pants.

The 340 M&P is worth a look it has a Scandinavian frame but unlike the PD which had a titanium cylinder, the M&P has a steel cylinder like the 442/642 but with better sights.

Grips that work for you make a big difference with the lighter weight J frames. I’m fond of the CT 405’s for the enclosed back strap.

User Tag List