Page 11 of 101 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

Site Supporter
    Does double clutching seem to occur more often with the Ruger vs a SW?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Does double clutching seem to occur more often with the Ruger vs a SW?
    Yes, definitely, if the comparison is between a S&W J-frame and a Ruger LCR.

Not so much with comparison between a J-frame and a Ruger SP101.

The Ruger LCR trigger does have a long reset.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Rich - at those weights, I don't think the weight of the revolver will make a difference in shootability or comfort. The MUCH bigger factors will be trigger and grip size/shape - which works better for you will only come to light by shooting both.
    Check.

Yeah I didn’t explain that very well.

The snubby I shot was a scandium frame, possibly a 340PD. It was not fun.

To the extent an alloy/stainless would be heavier, I think I’d prefer the heavier model. (Not to mention the cost difference).

I’m not going to take a snubby through 100 rounds a time. And if my wife ends up shooting it I don’t really want it to be painful for her (she absolutely felt pain shooting the scandium J).

Hope that helps explain where I was coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Check.

Yeah I didn’t explain that very well.

The snubby I shot was a scandium frame, possibly a 340PD. It was not fun.

To the extent an alloy/stainless would be heavier, I think I’d prefer the heavier model. (Not to mention the cost difference).

I’m not going to take a snubby through 100 rounds a time. And if my wife ends up shooting it I don’t really want it to be painful for her (she absolutely felt pain shooting the scandium J).

Hope that helps explain where I was coming from.
    Rich - again, the difference in weight in any airweight snub is negligible. I sold my 642 because I couldn't keep up with the Motrin required to train with it when shooting our issued 158gr +P LHPs. The key to managing recoil and "comfort" with a small revolver is ammunition selection - which is why guys like Doc GKR recommend looking at old fashioned 148gr WCs. Very easy to shoot even in stupidly light revolvers.

But, when all is said and done, you can't beat physics. When you shoot a heavy-ish load out of a small light pistol with no moving parts to "bleed" energy through friction, spring compression, etc., it all goes into your hands and wrists.

If you must have a snub, and want to actually train with it, you should get something steel framed, or be prepared for discomfort.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Yes, definitely, if the comparison is between a S&W J-frame and a Ruger LCR.

Not so much with comparison between a J-frame and a Ruger SP101.

The Ruger LCR trigger does have a long reset.
    Is it a big enough issue to really consider? I'm looking at the 9mm version, but also I like an external hammer and no lock. Either way that pretty much leaves only the Ruger as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Rich - again, the difference in weight in any airweight snub is negligible. I sold my 642 because I couldn't keep up with the Motrin required to train with it when shooting our issued 158gr +P LHPs. The key to managing recoil and "comfort" with a small revolver is ammunition selection - which is why guys like Doc GKR recommend looking at old fashioned 148gr WCs. Very easy to shoot even in stupidly light revolvers.

But, when all is said and done, you can't beat physics. When you shoot a heavy-ish load out of a small light pistol with no moving parts to "bleed" energy through friction, spring compression, etc., it all goes into your hands and wrists.

If you must have a snub, and want to actually train with it, you should get something steel framed, or be prepared for discomfort.
    I will get some of those. That "doc" guy seems to know what he's talking about *cough*
    Last edited by RJ; 06-09-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Is it a big enough issue to really consider? I'm looking at the 9mm version, but also I like an external hammer and no lock. Either way that pretty much leaves only the Ruger as an option.

It's no bother at all to me, and I have two of them, in .38 Special.

You just have to be aware of it and get used to the LCR's particular trigger characteristics. I've never "short-stroked" them in actual shooting practice yet, though I did with dry-firing, at first.

FWIW, and to follow up in line with psalms144.1's note above about Doc GKR's recommendations for carry ammunition in these small revolvers, it appears that both of my LCRs are exactly sighted in for 148gr WCs.
    If that holds true for others, it would certainly be quite a convenient feature!

(In contrast, it's been my experience that the S&W J-frames, at least the steel ones, seem to be factory sighted such that POI = POA with 158gr loads.)
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    Rich—An option you might consider, if you are new to revolvers, or want to shoot like a boss at this year’s Revolver Round Up, is the S&W 640 Pro. The Pro has the best small frame revolver sights and the steel frame will help you get acclimated/learn revolvers. After getting good with the Pro you can move to a lighter revolver. Then the Pro can be your range gun. If you want pinned sights, the M&P 340 and 340PD are pinned. I put an XS Big Dot on my 340PD. Not hard to do. I’m not mechanically inclined. Took me 10-minutes.

Name:  IMG_1842.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  52.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_1846.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  13.2 KB

Ammunition is an important consideration. Whatever revolver you select, find what shoots POA/POI and stay with that load. Generally with S&W 158 grain works. I’ve tried lighter bullets; all shoot low, the lighter the lower. If you decide to use a light bullet, you can adjust for elevation. No matter your carry round you select, find a find a practice and carry round with same POA/POI. It will help speed-up learning and limit frustration with revolver.

I will get some of those. That "doc" guy seems to know what he's talking about *cough*

Just happened to fall into the shopping cart tonight.

Just happened to fall into the shopping cart tonight.
    Rich- you were talking about the dog walking revolver around Christmas time just flip a coin and buy one!
    My LCR goes with me every time I walk the Rottie.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

User Tag List