Page 51 of 101 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

I really want anLCR in 327 but the ammo costs are going to keep me away from it. 9mm or most likely 38 are where I’ll end up.

On another note, did Ruger do a price increase on LCR’s? They’re a lot more expensive than I remember.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    On another note, did Ruger do a price increase on LCR’s? They’re a lot more expensive than I remember.
    I suspect it's just retailers charging closer to MSRP.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I really want an LCR in 327 but the ammo costs are going to keep me away from it. 9mm or most likely 38 are where I’ll end up.
    Have you seen .38 prices lately? Especially .38 wadcutter, if you can even find it? I can understand the 9mm angle, but also remember that you have *four* ammo/caliber options with the .327.

It's a balancing act, and you get an extra round.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    The local Cabelas in Erie County has had a 327 LCR in the case for $609 for quite a few months. I waver on it but I have a 432 and need the bucks for other things. Sigh. My thoughts, which I said elsewhere, is that firing full bore 327 in the gun doesn't appeal to me for EDC. I do that in my SW 632 and they are rather BOOM, FLASH and some real recoil. It's fun but 32 HR works and I have that.

I've found .32H&R mag 85gr JHP from both Black Hills and Federal at pretty much $1/round wherever I look...any reason to choose one over the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I've found .32H&R mag 85gr JHP from both Black Hills and Federal at pretty much $1/round wherever I look...any reason to choose one over the other?
    If these gel tests are done correctly and reported accurately, the Federal load won't expand through heavy clothing and the Black Hills load will.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ed-32-magnums/

Of course, Federal has probably used the same bullet since the 70s (or whenever) since they presumably make it. And Black Hills could potentially have changed which bullet vendor they use since those tests were conducted... but absent any other info might as well go with the Black Hills load.

Other people can comment better re: cavitation but at .36-37" expanded it looks like the .32 magnum gives you roughly .38 wadcutter terminal ballistics with a sixth shot and maybe less recoil.

Remember in general terms a wad cutter cuts a full diameter hole all the way.

Due to tissue elasticity expanded hollow points with their somewhat rounded frontal area give about a 70% of diameter crush cavity.

Specific or individual brands and styles of expanding projectiles obviously may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I'm not a revolver nerd, but after years of searching I finally have my answer for all my small gun needs in a .38 LCR.

If I was less focused on maximizing weight savings and could therefore handle the magnum frame guns for my uses (my .38 is currently DCC-clipped to my suit slacks and hiding under a tailored vest), I'd absolutely go with either a .327 for the extra round or a 9mm for the ammo commonality with other guns. So I'd say you're on the right track. I just don't know which of those advantages is more worthwhile. I absolutely hate complicating my gear/ammo/etc. inventory requirements so I'd probably lean 9mm, but that's me. Having a 9 may also mean you're likely practice with it more, since finding the .32s can be a pain.

For what it's worth, I remember an Ayoob review opining that with the extra weight from using steel instead of aluminum, the 9mm LCR actually had less recoil than the .38 version.
    I had similar thoughts as well and have a .38 LCR incoming. The high praises for .327 from the resident revolver cadre was difficult to ignore but 17oz is approaching G43/P365 weights and for me, I'd just as soon carry that. I wanted a lightweight/no excuse/rule 1/around the house/pajama gun and the lighter .38 won the day. It will be loaded with 148gr FGMM wadcutters.

I still want a .327 though of course

Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post
    I had similar thoughts as well and have a .38 LCR incoming. The high praises for .327 from the resident revolver cadre was difficult to ignore but 17oz is approaching G43/P365 weights and for me, I'd just as soon carry that. I wanted a lightweight/no excuse/rule 1/around the house/pajama gun and the lighter .38 won the day. It will be loaded with 148gr FGMM wadcutters.

I still want a .327 though of course

I’m with you. The whole raison d’etre of the LCR is 1) trigger, and 2) 13.5 oz. It’s the poor man’s 340PD (albeit with better sight options, and a better trigger). If I wanted a heavier shooter, well, I’d just grab one of the myriad steel J or K frames already sitting on the safe shelf instead.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’m with you. The whole raison d’etre of the LCR is 1) trigger, and 2) 13.5 oz. It’s the poor man’s 340PD (albeit with better sight options, and a better trigger). If I wanted a heavier shooter, well, I’d just grab one of the myriad steel J or K frames already sitting on the safe shelf instead.
    I have a 340PD, the Taurus M380 (380ACP), LCR9…

I just ordered a Taurus UltraLite 38 special with bobbed hammer. It’s 15 ounces… but it’s a SIX shot.

Will test it out. But I like my M380 enough that I’d like to try it.

User Tag List