Page 20 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

Ruger LCR?

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    That’s great shooting! What made you go with the lcr over a s&w j frame?
    Thank you!

Well, bearing in mind I am brand new to revolvers, I did not have a huge well of experience to base a decision on.

I knew from reading that the J Frame is a great gun with a huge legacy behind it. I handled several varieties in the shop, and rented an Airweight to shoot a few cylinders worth.

In its favor was in fact it’s reputation, here and elsewhere, as a reliable, compact BUG. There did seem to be quite a few variations (lock, no lock; stainless, Scandium; sights, etc.) that it was fairly hard as a noob to figure out what would be a good place to start.

In addition, most I tried had fairly hefty (12 lb?) presses, which took me aback a bit. I was like, wow, that’s heavy.

I finally settled on one (640 Pro) that listed at $839, and was edging my credit card out of my wallet. I even told The Boss a $8xx charge was coming. I had handled one, and really liked the look, the sights, and the stocks. It was also cut for moon clips, which I thought was pretty cool.

I watched a review of the same gun by Lucky Gunner. I kept thinking, you know, if someone with the depth of experience as Chris Baker puts an Apex Kit on it first thing, then maybe he knew a thing or two about good trigger presses on a snubby. I mean, why spent a bunch money only to drop an Apex kit in?

(I have that T Shirt already from my old M&P 1.0 FS 9mm, since sold. I didn’t really want to do that again.)

So I looked harder at the Ruger. It is not pretty. In fact it looks kind of odd. I mean, a chassis and a polymer cover? Weird.

So I thought, until I tried one out in the shop. It pointed well, for me. The one I tried was the .357, at 17 oz (I think?) so it was in the middle range weight wise, or so it seemed.

The trigger was fairly smooth. 9 lbs? Don’t quote me on that And there was no lock. Plus the .357 was quite a bit cheaper than the J I had picked. And I must admit seeing that folks like @BehindBluel’s shoot them, well, I think a lot of him, and that was a big plus to me.

And then the sale at CDNN was mentioned, and I thought, heck, why not.

As say, “for me” it seems to fit what I wanted. I really enjoy it. It might sound kinda odd but there is a...I dunno, cool? feeling shooting a revolver. Just scratches some primeval mechanical itch and connects you with the firearm unlike my Glocks. Sorry I bet that sounds strange lol.

But I do like it a lot. [emoji4]
    Last edited by RJ; 07-21-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    Delete
    Last edited by 11B10; 07-21-2018 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Delete

Ok, dumb question time.

Cleaning the LCR (and the Blackhawk) yesterday evening, I paid attention to the forward part of the cylinder walls. There was a fair amount of crud built up.

I assume this was in part due to the wadcutters being flush with the case and the hot gasses passing out, thus leaving burnt deposits in a 'ring'.

This being the case, I used what I had, namely Hoppes spray Bore Cleaner as well as some liquid No. 9 and scrubbed them with a brass bristle, a nylon bristle, a patch on a jag and finally a bore snake. The cylinders were clean but I could still see the 'ring' on the steel.

Am I overthinking this and this is ok/normal? Just wanted to ask since I am just starting out and if need to adjust my revolver cleaning technique I'd welcome your thoughts.

Unless I am advised otherwise I continue to plan to use the wadcutters as practice and SD ammo.

Thanks.

deleted. brain fart
    Last edited by Leroy Suggs; 07-22-2018 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    There was a fair amount of crud built up.
    I assume this was in part due to the wadcutters being flush with the case and the hot gasses passing out, thus leaving burnt deposits in a 'ring'.
    Am I overthinking this and this is ok/normal?
    Yeah normal, but not from wadcutters, just from shooting 38 in the 357 chamber. 357 is .100 longer for the simple reason of preventing a higher pressure 357 round from fitting in a 38 gun. The good news is you can shoot the lower pressure rounds in the 357, the bad news is it will get cruddy in front of the ridge in the front of the 357 chamber. This is NBD, only real potentially serious problem is 357 rounds being difficult to fully chamber after shooting a buncha 38.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    So just a few dry practice pulls with the LCR. I ended up ordering the Model 5450. I somehow had thought I ordered one with a FO front, but the item arrived with a painted white ramp front. Ok I guess. I may look into painting it Orange.
    I think we might already have covered this, but the front sight is just held on with a simple pin. If you can (gently) drive a nail, you can change out the front sight. Ruger and others have various FO sights you can swap on.

http://shopruger.com/Ruger-LCR-Front...uctinfo/12001/ example
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 07-22-2018 at 08:48 AM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Ruger LCR?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Yeah normal, but not from wadcutters, just from shooting 38 in the 357 chamber. 357 is .100 longer for the simple reason of preventing a higher pressure 357 round from fitting in a 38 gun. The good news is you can shoot the lower pressure rounds in the 357, the bad news is it will get cruddy in front of the ridge in the front of the 357 chamber. This is NBD, only real potentially serious problem is 357 rounds being difficult to fully chamber after shooting a buncha 38.
    Thanks, good info. I was not aware the .357 and .38 rounds differed in length. I don’t currently have any plans to shoot .357 ammo; reading Doc’s BUG sticky he seems to indicate 148 SWC’s make a good SD load. The fact they are easy to shoot as well is a huge bonus, practically as well as financially.

I’ll keep going on my cleaning regime and watch for build up. Thanks again.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-22-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I think we might already have covered this, but the front sight is just held on with a simple pin. If you can (gently) drive a nail, you can change out the front sight. Ruger and others have various FO sights you can swap on.

Yessir.

Having said that, the white ramp that came with the gun actually wasn’t too bad yesterday so “for now” I think I’ll just leave it and get on with shooting. Thanks, good info.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

Lots of options out there:

http://shopruger.com/Sights-Lights-L...products/3103/

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...l_1=Ruger__LCR
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I was not aware the .357 and .38 rounds differed in length.
    And the 38 was a stretched out version of it's predecessors.
    38 Short Colt was 0.765:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Short_Colt
    And there even is a 357 Maximum that is almost an inch longer at 1.605:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Remington_Maximum

User Tag List