Page 64 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

I see Colin Noir has a new YT vid up on the LCR 9. Looks like he is still trying to figure out the revolver shooting part.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Finally picked up an LCRx .38. It carries easily in my jeans pocket in a Desantis pocket holster, and is lightweight enough that I forgot it was there for a moment today. The hammer is low profile enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

I looked at the Hogue Bantam Boot Grip, but it was listed as NOT fitting the LCRx. Is it possible to modify it so that it will?

Haven't shot it yet, but I hope to change that Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Re reloads....

Most days the pill bottle. At work, a G17 magazine. One of these days I am going to order the plastic Ruger moon clip belt holders. I really like the design.

pat
    Are the 9mm versions made anymore? I was looking for one or two and wasn’t finding them anywhere.

Jason

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post
    Are the 9mm versions made anymore? I was looking for one or two and wasn’t finding them anywhere.

Jason

gun.deals shows some.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/lcr%209mm

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post

Jason
    Got mine used 2 years ago on Gunbroker.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The trigger seems heavier than DocGlock’s .22, do they improve with use? Preferred snap caps?
    One of my tasks for today is to search PF for the thread I remember seeing about improving LCR triggers...damned if I can remember who the OP is. I dry fired a new .38 at the LGS and was so impressed with how nice the trigger was (especially compared to my .22 LCR) that I seriously debated buying it right then and there. The trigger on the .327 I eventually found is quite disappointing in comparison.

I've posted this somewhere, possibly in this very thread, but when I asked about .22 snap caps, a PF'er told me that per Ruger, it was fine to dry fire their rimfires. I called Ruger and they confirmed that, but cautioned it only applied to their revolvers, not their semi-autos pistols.

Found my post (#9) in the Official Ruger LCR Thread:

@whomever pointed out in another thread about .327 v 9mm that Ruger's manual indicates that it's perfectly safe to dry fire all their revolvers, even in .22 rimfire. I read it, but I still didn't believe it as I've known for 40yrs that you shouldn't dry fire a rimfire.

And I was wrong. I called Ruger directly and their rep assured me that all Ruger revolvers and rifles are safe to dry fire...even the rimfires. (Fwiw, they do not recommend regular dry fire of their semi-auto rimfire pistols.)

ETA: Absolutely zero luck finding the thread about slicking up the LCR trigger. If someone who doesn't have shitty search-fu can help, it'd be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 12-18-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Found my post (#9) in the Official Ruger LCR Thread:

@whomever pointed out in another thread about .327 v 9mm that Ruger's manual indicates that it's perfectly safe to dry fire all their revolvers, even in .22 rimfire. I read it, but I still didn't believe it as I've known for 40yrs that you shouldn't dry fire a rimfire.

And I was wrong. I called Ruger directly and their rep assured me that all Ruger revolvers and rifles are safe to dry fire...even the rimfires. (Fwiw, they do not recommend regular dry fire of their semi-auto rimfire pistols. )

ETA: Absolutely zero luck finding the thread about slicking up the LCR trigger. If someone who doesn't have shitty search-fu can help, it'd be much appreciated.
    Interesting about the semi-autos. My MKII manual says it’s fine, and is in fact required in order to disassemble for cleaning. As that was my first ever gun, and only gun for years, I have probably live and dry fired that gun maybe a hundred thousand times. No chamber edge damage. Did break an RSA, though.

I know lots of bullseye shooters who extensively dryfire MKII's w/o probs. I expect most use one of the plastic plugs, because why not.

I bought something like these:

https://www.larrysguns.com/Products/...lugs__LGI.aspx

years ago. They last a long time. I like the free safety flag aspect for dry fire. After several years of use the flag part breaks off. If you saved up enough of them you could then use them in revolvers :-).

One note on MkII's etc: the reason they are dry fire safe is that there is a slot in the firing pin. There is a cross pin that goes through that slot limiting fore-and-aft travel of the firing pin. If you take the bolt apart and don't reinstall that pin, the gun works fine except it isn't safe to dryfire anymore.

Site Supporter
    I enjoyed owning the LCR .22 and regret not keeping it. In mine ejecting empties so that they all fell at the same time required holding the revolver with the barrel straight up and then briskly pushing the ejector rod. My gun's action did become smoother after use. I think that short stroking the LCR trigger is a definite possibility especially when transitioning from a J frame. The J frame reset is foolproof as long as the rebound spring is not cut or replaced with a weaker version. Smith uses the same rebound spring in J, K, L, and N frames. Weight is 17 pounds. J frame triggers because of reduced dimensions have less mechanical advantage than the others. This fact gives the J frame a hard double action pull and also provides it's strong reset.

About dry firing Ruger rimfire revolvers. In my Wrangler single action, dry firing caused the firing pin to hit the cylinder and put dents where it contacted the cylinder.

User Tag List