Page 38 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Ruger specifically put the 9mm in the steel .357 frame for safety... Dropping it in an alloy frame .38 seems like asking for a prosthesis. JMHO.
    Maybe, maybe not... bear in mind S&W made exactly one 942, IIRC. Only reason they didn’t go into production was excessive recoil. And we have at least one member here with 3 9mm 637’s.

Ok I figured this was the best place to get some advice.

Been shooting since 2014 or so, have taken a few training courses etc. I picked up a Ruger LCR .357, and then last year traded down to a LCR .38 because I was only shooting wadcutters. I have been having mixed results lately at the range, and so it occurred to me I have not, really, gotten any instruction in shooting a snub-nosed revolver. At all.

My hands are size M. I have the standard grips that come on the LCR .38. I have experimented a bit and settled on the grip pictured below as the one that seems most "natural" to me. In dry practice, I don't see much jump in the front sight. Shooting, I am able to pass a 5x5 drill typically with 4/5 or 5/5.

Of course, I don't know what I don't know, so if anyone would like to take a look at this grip, and let me know if you see anything obviously wrong with it, please let me know? TIA.

Name:  IMG_6832.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  17.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6833.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  24.8 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My thumbs may be a lot longer, but shooting that way habitually is a good way to pick up a J frame and end up with a thumb adjacent to the cylinder gap. I got cured of it when I tried a .357 in my 640-1. Fortunately only soot embedded in my skin, not lead.

Jerry has a "How to shoot a revolver" video that's worth watching.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

Jerry has a "How to shoot a revolver" video that's worth watching.
    This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEHNZFTfSD8

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It's been awhile, but I think that's the one.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    GRabbed a freeze frame. Mr, Miculek must have big hands, I’m not sure I could do this.

Name:  CD2FF47B-A278-4635-9781-A699938287F0.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  73.9 KB

Been shooting since 2014 or so, have taken a few training courses etc. I picked up a Ruger LCR .357, and then last year traded down to a LCR .38 because I was only shooting wadcutters. I have been having mixed results lately at the range, and so it occurred to me I have not, really, gotten any instruction in shooting a snub-nosed revolver. At all.

My hands are size M. I have the standard grips that come on the LCR .38. I have experimented a bit and settled on the grip pictured below as the one that seems most "natural" to me. In dry practice, I don't see much jump in the front sight. Shooting, I am able to pass a 5x5 drill typically with 4/5 or 5/5.

Of course, I don't know what I don't know, so if anyone would like to take a look at this grip, and let me know if you see anything obviously wrong with it, please let me know? TIA.

You’ve got pretty decent mitts, and shorter (relatively) thumbs, so you can do the striker-fire grip and make it work.

That said, with compact wheelies, I like to have the strong hand totally in contact with the grip, with the thumb locked down, and the support hand acting in adjunct—sort of like a second TQ on a bleed—to help stop energy leaks.

But don’t take my word for it; take Darryl’s:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    You’ve got pretty decent mitts, and shorter (relatively) thumbs, so you can do the striker-fire grip and make it work.

That said, with compact wheelies, I like to have the strong hand totally in contact with the grip, with the thumb locked down, and the support hand acting in adjunct—sort of like a second TQ on a bleed—to help stop energy leaks.

But don’t take my word for it; take Darryl’s:
    This is exactly (no really, exactly) what I was taught circa 1988 via the training staff at the San Francisco Sheriff's Dept.
    it's not hard- I watched the same training officer impart the info successfully to my then-70+ year-old moderately arthritic grandmother in the mid 1990s. I shot with her several times after that and she had no trouble keeping the grip properly on a 2" barrel model 36 with Pachmayr compact grips.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

GRabbed a freeze frame. Mr, Miculek must have big hands, I’m not sure I could do this.

Name:  CD2FF47B-A278-4635-9781-A699938287F0.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  73.9 KB
    That's how I shoot wheelies and my digits are longish but they're nothing like his. I would not use a thumbs forward grip as on a semiauto.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Your grip is fine. I hold my LCR with my thumbs forward, and my j-frame, and my 10mm GP100, etc. You missed the giant forum discussion that Darryl and I had about revolver grip methods a while back.

User Tag List