Page 84 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

Make a green gun without grips. Then we can add any grips must like on a normal lcr.

Site Supporter
    I'm liking the LCR 38 for it's given purpose but, ammo is pricey and can be scarce. I'm considering a 9mm, ammo's 1/2 the price better ballistics in a small revolver and I stock plenty, is there a general consensus on what ammunition / weight shoots to POA in a LCR 9mm ?

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    I'm liking the LCR 38 for it's given purpose but, ammo is pricey and can be scarce. I'm considering a 9mm, ammo's 1/2 the price better ballistics in a small revolver and I stock plenty, is there a general consensus on what ammunition / weight shoots to POA in a LCR 9mm ?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    After my conversation with Bill Rogers, I would say without question the 9mm LCR. He told me that the .22 and 9mm LCR revolvers shoot POA/POI at 25 yards, where the .38 models (the school has 12) shoot high and left. Further, he said he can reload the 9mm LCR closer in speed to a semi-auto than a revolver. He has designed proper stocks (grips to some people) for them as well as very trim moon clip holders. It is his current BUG.
    lawnguy, between moon clips and other considerations, I suspect the LCR 9mm may be more of a niche handgun than a first choice as a primary.

For those that are interested, I spoke to Bill Rogers again today. In a Rogers School intro course, they have two relays of six, with twelve total LCR 9mm revolvers on the line. Depending upon student progress, they shoot between 6,000 and 10,000 rounds a week long class through their school LCR 9mm revolvers (Rogers provides all guns, ammo and equipment for the intro class.) They run 147 grain ammo through the LCR revolvers and have had zero problems with bullet set back. In his BUG LCR, Bill only has run standard velocity 9mm ammo, and has had no problems with setback. He has not tested 9mm +P ammo, and has no information on setback. I asked him about favorite loads, and he just had no preference, saying he planned to shoot the head, and didn't think it would matter as long as it penetrated. I don't think is unique to the LCR, as I have never known Bill to be concerned about this or that load, just speed/accuracy, and proper POA/POI, and let shot placement take care of that.

I asked him about benchmark data between the LCR 9mm and the M&P 9 FS from the school test. He said because of the difference in capacity and how they run the different tests, he didn't have directly comparable data. He said that his criteria for a BUG are best filled by pocket carry of a revolver. He mentioned a shape that would not snag when drawn from the pocket and safety of the longer, heavier revolver trigger. He also said he found the LCR 9 to be a softer shooting revolver than a lightweight J frame. He gushed about how quickly it could be reloaded. Back to bullet placement, he again remarked how he could hit the head plate at 20 yards easily with the LCR, with well regulated sights out of the box.

How is the a LCR 9mm recoil compared to a LCR .38 recoil?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Site Supporter
    Thanks, I've read every post in this thread as it's gone along and then some, and considerably more, just curious if 124gr vs 147 varies poi @ 5-15yds, is one bullet weight found to shoot more directly to poa.

Thanks, I've read every post in this thread as it's gone along and then some, and considerably more, just curious if 124gr vs 147 varies poi @ 5-15yds, is one bullet weight found to shoot more directly to poa.
    I've also followed the thread over the course of nearly 7 years. It gets hard to recall everything. I want to say that I recall people posting that the 147s are generally the most well regulated out of the 9mm LCR, but that may be a total confabulation on my part at this point. I did remember that GJM had talked with Rogers about his school's LCR experience, and that they preferred 147, so I just wanted to quickly shuffle that info back to the top as it seemed relevant. Rogers info is nice because they were running a dozen guns through a heavy firing schedule. I wonder if they are still running 9mm LCRs at Rogers?

My fuzzy memory is that some were finding 147 grains to be the best balance of recoil impulse and POA/POI.

Hopefully others will chime in with their more recent individual experiences. I'm also curious myself.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I've also followed the thread over the course of nearly 7 years. It gets hard to recall everything. I want to say that I recall people posting that the 147s are generally the most well regulated out of the 9mm LCR, but that may be a total confabulation on my part at this point. I did remember that GJM had talked with Rogers about his school's LCR experience, and that they preferred 147, so I just wanted to quickly shuffle that info back to the top as it seemed relevant. Rogers info is nice because they were running a dozen guns through a heavy firing schedule. I wonder if they are still running 9mm LCRs at Rogers?

My fuzzy memory is that some were finding 147 grains to be the best balance of recoil impulse and POA/POI.

Hopefully others will chime in with their more recent individual experiences. I'm also curious myself.
    I hear ya on fuzzy memory!, I guess another relevant question might be, is recoil induced bullet pull with quality 147 ammunition a valid carry concern if only cycled the original loading (1 time around) ?

Since you have something in mind, what is your definition of proficient? Hard Wired has revolver standards, that perhaps Darryl or Wayne can post up.
    https://www.activeresponsetraining.n...bby-super-test

I wouldn’t claim proficiency until you can do it from the leather.

Site Supporter
    I've been working on the 5-5-5 drill, having to hold a little high right, kind of screws me up... I guess the precision of nothing but a red dot for 2-3 years has spoiled me.

I hear ya on fuzzy memory!, I guess another relevant question might be, is recoil induced bullet pull with quality 147 ammunition a valid carry concern if only cycled the original loading (1 time around) ?
    I think in the GJM quote above regarding Rogers school, he was probably using the term "setback" in place of "bullet pull" for some reason. If Rogers wasn't having problems with bullet pull in tens of thousands of rounds of beginner classes using 147s, I think it's likely one could find a standard pressure load that will handle 5 shots. Although, it's certainly something to vet and keep an eye on!

I wish I would have purchased a 9mm instead of a .327. The .32 family is really fun to shoot, but I always have thousands of rounds of 9mm, and factory .32 H&R has pretty much dried up. I can't currently source a replacement for my Black Hills carry load. I may wind up going to Buffalo Bore +P wadcutters. The bulk .32 S&W wadcutters aren't very cheap either. It's probably a much better gun for people who have time to reload. 9mm sure would have made things easier in this regard. However, I'm a bit recoil averse, so I chickened out.

User Tag List