Page 43 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR?

46 x 17 is more than I can comfortably handle at the moment. Too many beers per mile, clearly. I am a fan of the steel LeMonds...to my thinking, the best bikes made by Trek at that point.

If you were to compare the .38 LCRs vs the 9mms, are the 9s prone to sharper recoil, or is it a wash?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    46 x 17 is more than I can comfortably handle at the moment. Too many beers per mile, clearly. I am a fan of the steel LeMonds...to my thinking, the best bikes made by Trek at that point.

If you were to compare the .38 LCRs vs the 9mms, are the 9s prone to sharper recoil, or is it a wash?
    I've had it for maybe 10 years. It's got a lot of miles on it, including 3 Lucky Lab pub races, where I managed to hang with the lead group of gearheads. When I was still in riding shape.

I'm the last one to ask about LCRs or revolvers in general. I actually don't like them very much, but acknowledge that they have a valid place in the CCW toolbox. The 9mm is the only revolver I have. The recoil using Ranger 147 isn't bad--a lot less than a .357.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I think the 9mm is harsher than the .38. Depends on load though
    A strong defensive .38 load vs 9mm is a wash.

And my single speeds prefer G19s.

Site Supporter
    So... Grabbed what must have been someones sock drawer LCR in 9mm. Didn't really want to deal with moon clips but the price was too good to say no. It is pretty obnoxious with 124gr ball. Much more so than .38spl in a steel frame J. My question to the LCR heads here is: Can I drop a .38 spl cylinder into the gun safely?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    JMCK IWB 3 with DCC Monoblock clip. It's really nice. So much better than what I'd been using, and for less money.
    That holster looks great. Love the extra tuck and the Monoblock. Are so on JMCK's quick ship list?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    So... Grabbed what must have been someones sock drawer LCR in 9mm. Didn't really want to deal with moon clips but the price was too good to say no. It is pretty obnoxious with 124gr ball. Much more so than .38spl in a steel frame J. My question to the LCR heads here is: Can I drop a .38 spl cylinder into the gun safely?
    I think the answer is no. Have you tried 147gr? Subsonic is so much better. Also, I found that the grip makes a difference. I like the Hogue Bantam.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    That holster looks great. Love the extra tuck and the Monoblock. Are so on JMCK's quick ship list?
    I don't think it's a quick ship option. It didn't take that long to ship though.

Mine was spec'ed to ride with "cylinder just under the belt line". It's very low profile, yet draws quickly. I like the monoblock clip for this gun because it's light enough to clip to the pants, and tighten the belt over it. The gun just disappears, even under a smedium t-shirt.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    My question to the LCR heads here is: Can I drop a .38 spl cylinder into the gun safely?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I think the answer is no. Have you tried 147gr? Subsonic is so much better.
    Actually I think you can. IIRC, the 35cal cylinders for the LCR are the same length and all 5-shot, so it should drop in (manufacturing tolerances aside).

That said, 147gr subsonic should be pretty close to a +p 38 load, so I'd go that way.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Thanks guys! I will give the 147 a go. That is actually the weight of our duty load. I am not ashamed to admit that I am a total recoil sissy. The 9mm in the little revolver feels sharper than .38. And this is a steel gun to steel gun comparison. The fact that Ruger puts the 9mm in steel is probably a clue.

Site Supporter
    Thanks guys! I will give the 147 a go. That is actually the weight of our duty load. I am not ashamed to admit that I am a total recoil sissy. The 9mm in the little revolver feels sharper than .38. And this is a steel gun to steel gun comparison. The fact that Ruger puts the 9mm in steel is probably a clue.
    Would you mind measuring the length of your 9mm cylinder? While I'm certain I read they were all the same length, I cannot find that confirmation anywhere. I have a 38spec LCR and can measure mine.

FWIW, LCR 38 cylinders (many with crane assemblies) are available on eBay, so if they do match, you could attempt the swap yourself, just watch clearances, alignment, and indexing.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Actually I think you can. IIRC, the 35cal cylinders for the LCR are the same length and all 5-shot, so it should drop in (manufacturing tolerances aside).

That said, 147gr subsonic should be pretty close to a +p 38 load, so I'd go that way.

Chris
    Bullets are different diameter's, I would NOT advise such a thing to anybody personally.

User Tag List