Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunters, what bullets are you using?

Hunters, what bullets are you using?

Seeing how interesting the lead free discussion went, I'm curious, what is your Bullet choice? I'm sure a fair amount of hunters will be after whitetail and similar deer or even elk, let's see what's popular. Here in Africa standard PMP takes a huge amount of game every year, heck standard lead core bullets work well even on our slightly larger game when used within their parameters, let's see how this goes.

I'll be using Hornaday 158 gr XTP cartridges in .357 Magnum out of my Ruger Blackhawk in my October quest for deer.

My backup/PDW gun will be my Glock G21 using Buffalo Bore 230 gr HP

Best, Jon

I've had great results with the Federal Fusion loads(commercial Fudd version of gold dots) in 223 and 30-30. I'm in the SE US though so my experience is limited to smaller whitetail deer.

Site Supporter
    Last year I used Hornady SST - this year I am planning on Barnes TTSX or Berger VLD Hunting.

150gr Federal Fusion .308
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Hornady Interlock BTSP. Small deer.

I've taken deer with this assortment of bullets.....

Handgun

.357 Magnum - Federal Nyclad 158 gr SWC-HP & 158 gr Hydra-Shok
    .45 ACP - Speer 230 gr Gold Dot, 200 gr Gold Dot, Winchester 230 gr Black Talon, Federal 230 gr Hydra-Shok & Hornady 230 gr XTP
    .41 Magnum - Sierra 170 gr JHC, 210 gr JHC & Speer 200 gr HP

Rifle

7x57 - 140 gr Remington Core-Lokt & 140 gr Nosler Partition
    .308 Win - 150 gr Remington Core-Lokt
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

180 gr Tipped TSX .300 WM: springbok, blesbok, oryx, wildebeest, hartebeest.

Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    Seeing how interesting the lead free discussion went, I'm curious, what is your Bullet choice? I'm sure a fair amount of hunters will be after whitetail and similar deer or even elk, let's see what's popular. Here in Africa standard PMP takes a huge amount of game every year, heck standard lead core bullets work well even on our slightly larger game when used within their parameters, let's see how this goes.
    Not sure if you had in mind only the lead free offerings. If not, Remington Core-Lokt 150 gr PSP and Federal Power-Shok SP in .270 and .308 Win have been plenty accurate and effective to ~300 yds on white tail, mule deer, antelope, and predators.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Hornady Interlock BTSP. Small deer.
    Same here in my .308: Florida ain't Kansas. In .44 magnum 300gr Hornady XTP/19gr H110. My 14" Contender will hold dime sized groups with them at 50 yards and MOA at 100.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List