Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hunters, what bullets are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    Barnes and other decent monolithics have proven themselves here for sure, but I prefer lead core, especially due to pricing here. In my 308, 180gr partitions , PMP proamm and Sierra pro hunters have been deadly, honestly I feel comfortable taking Eland with the partitions,they just work. If I were to be using any magnum caliber, I'd seriously look at Barnes and similar. The standard "heavies" work well out the 30 cal rifles due to sedate pace. If I had to choose just one bullet for the 308 or 06, it will probably be the Swift A frame but I would be happy with the others mentioned. From the monos, I'd use the 150gr TTSX.Many hunters assume they need a magnum or big bore caliber when coming here. I assure you, unless you after the dangerous game, this is not always the case. The most popular calibers used here by the locals are the 30 06, 308 and in the open plains the 270.
    What are the ranges you are limiting yourself to with either the 308 or 30-06 when taking plains game in your part of the world? 0-300, 0-400, 0-500 meters?

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I often hear people say that you can drop to the next lightest bullet weight with mono bullets, so if conventional wisdom calls for a 180-grain .308" slug, then a 165-grain .308" TTSX will provide the same results.

Have you found that to be true?

thanks,

Okie John
    I haven't been that organized in my testing, but anecdotally that is how it has worked out. My wife uses a 225 Barnes in her .338, and we both use 180 Barnes in our .300 WM because they shoot so accurately. I just bought 150 grain Barnes for my .308 and 165 for my .30-06.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I haven't been that organized in my testing, but anecdotally that is how it has worked out. My wife uses a 225 Barnes in her .338, and we both use 180 Barnes in our .300 WM because they shoot so accurately. I just bought 150 grain Barnes for my .308 and 165 for my .30-06.
    Thanks. What do you consider the upper limit of game for the 308 with the 150 TTSX?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Thanks. What do you consider the upper limit of game for the 308 with the 150 TTSX?

Okie John
    Probably a better question for Lost River and SLG, as they have out west experience with the .308. I always thought of .308 as more a general purpose round, and east coast hunting cartridge, than what I would choose first in the mountain west and in Alaska. Seems to be working for them.

Short range defensive use, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot any animal in North America in the upper CNS with that load.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I often hear people say that you can drop to the next lightest bullet weight with mono bullets, so if conventional wisdom calls for a 180-grain .308" slug, then a 165-grain .308" TTSX will provide the same results.

thanks,

Okie John
    I've been very pleased with the 168 TSX (non-tipped) in my .30-06 for several years. I'd reach for a TTSX to start loading for anything new, but my Terry Cross built model 70 featherweight loves that particular bullet. Deer and pigs hate it.

I have some 150 TTSX bullets and I've started some load testing in the .30-06 and for a Sako .308 but haven't shot anything but paper with them yet. The TTSXs are longggg for their weight and that could be an issue in some rifles and cartridges.

Usually 150gr. Core-Lokt (.308) but I picked up some 232gr. Oryx and may give the 9.3 a try.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have waffled quite a bit, but am going to stick with bonded, lead-core bullets. I killed my first deer with RA556B, and it worked very well. I likely will use another loading this year, but feel that bonded lead-core bullets are more to my liking.

thanks,

Okie John
    Defanitely true here, remember a 150gr mono is about the length of a 180gr conventional. I have seen a 150gr TSX get superb penetration in a eland bull broadside, look at how big an eland bull is to understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    What are the ranges you are limiting yourself to with either the 308 or 30-06 when taking plains game in your part of the world? 0-300, 0-400, 0-500 meters?
    Depending on the area, most shots are around 0-200m, but this is where we can stalk closer, sometimes even sub 100m. For areas like parts of the the karoo where there is basically no cover and stalking is an issue, 300m+ shots are common, but then most people wouldnt be using the 308/30 06 in theses areas as a primary rifle, if they hunting there often, thats not to say it cant be done.

Okie John
    Il also add if its ok,Locally, id comfortably say Eland. For those who wonder why i keep referring to Eland, they really big with huge shoulder bones, and if shot placement isnt up to scratch they can go far. Penetration is always a concern. While many people say 375 etc may be better, a 30 cal with DECENT mono or bonded can work. If you really comfortable , you could get away with regular lead core, but not advisable. Also , the average hunter here may shoot more smaller species than one big one. Bearing in mind, with both the 308 and 30 06 , you will limit yourself in terms of range IF you dont know your equipment ,trajectory well.
    On another point, most of my hunting is in areas with cover, so my shots average between 100-150 yards,so the 308 excells here. The 300win is overkill. But if i were to move in another area, i may just consider the magnums. Poeple seriously underestimate what a 30cal with a decent bullet can bring down.
    In closing,i have seen too many large species of buck dropped by 308 and 30 06 rifles to doubt them here in South Africa especially.
    Last edited by flux; 09-28-2016 at 01:48 PM.

I'll be using 300 grain BEARTOOTH BULLETS for the 45 colt. HARD CAST LEAD!!!!! All hand loaded
    I chose the 300 grain because it is the 'biggest' bullet that my Smith Mountain Gun will shoot to 1000fps without rattling things loose, and feed and fire very well in the accompanying Winchester Trapper.

Here in NH USA, the 45 colt will harvest any big game that I can legally take, from whitetail to moose to black bear.

Another option is the venerable 30-30, perfect for the NH hardwoods. Rarely do get a shot beyond 60 yards that is not obstructed by brush or trees.
    I load these with Hornaday 165 grain RNSP, or Beartooth's 160 grain hard cast lead.
    With ANY of the hardcast, it's a 90% chance of a total pass thru the animal, creating a huge wound channel. If the bullet does not pass thru, it still creates huge cavitation, and again, a huge wound channel.
    The 45 colt need not be loaded to 1000fps either;
    750-900fps will kill most critters on the first shot.
    Last edited by CSW; 10-03-2016 at 08:14 AM.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I've had great results with 165gr Core-Lokt in 30.06 on Western Washington blacktail and Idaho whitetail. I started using it before knowing anything about anything (now I know a little) because it was available EVERYWHERE and affordable; I kept using it because it worked.

User Tag List