Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunters, what bullets are you using?

I've used plenty of standard Speer, Sierra and Hornady offerings in the 270 and 30/06 over the years. I've also used the 270 Speer and 283 Partition in the 9.3x62, plus the 220 CoreLokt and the 180 Trophy Bonded in the 30/06 on feral cattle and hogs.

With handguns, I prefer a cast SWC. This year, I'll take either a 140 TTSX in a 7mm Magnum, a 165 Partition in a 308, or a 180 Partition in a 30/06 after elk.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    180 gr Tipped TSX .300 WM: springbok, blesbok, oryx, wildebeest, hartebeest.
    Jealous.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I've had great results with the Federal Fusion loads(commercial Fudd version of gold dots) in 223 and 30-30. I'm in the SE US though so my experience is limited to smaller whitetail deer.
    Those are my deer rifle calibers too and I'm also using each of those in the Fusion loading.

I'll also be hunting with .357 Sig and plan to use the Hornady 135 grain Critical Duty in that.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Historically I have shot most everything with a Nosler Partition or Trophy Bond bullet, but in recent years I have gone to a Barnes bullet on anything I plan to eat. All three, the Partition, Trophy Bonded and the Barnes have performed superbly in the field, with the caveat the .375 Trophy Bonded Bullets seem to work better on larger game, and zip through smaller game without expanding much.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Been reading a lot, posting little(understatement;-)so I gues its time to contribute at least a little..

My 9.3x62 is my go to caliber for large game.. I handload with 250 grains Nosler Accubond and 250 grains Barnes (T)TSX.. Excellent accuracy and very good results on many different species of game.. Used it from roedeer up to kudu and zebra, my all round hunting caliber for sure.. Good velocity in these loadings so quit useful on al little longer distance too..

For my .270 Winchester I use 140 grains Nosler Accubonds and 130 grains Barnes (T)TSX.. Soft shooting and accurate!

Finally for my dedicated roedeer rifle in .223 Remington I use 62 grain Barnes (T)TSX... On roedeer obviously always thru and thru, from 30 meters up to 200, but its just a small deer so no surprise there..

Best regards from across the big pond,

Jumme

Almost the same here. Nosler partitions for decades, just making the switch to the all copper stuff. Never used the Trophy Bonded bullets, but sure they'd work fine.

I mostly hunt deer in Alaska (where nearly any bullet would work), but do so in territory with other larger critters where failsafe penetration is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    180 gr Tipped TSX .300 WM: springbok, blesbok, oryx, wildebeest, hartebeest.
    I've made the move to copper bullets for all hunting. The 180 TTSX is the bullet I use in both 300 WM and .30-06; African plains game and elk. For whitetail and hogs, .308 150gr or .260 120gr TTSX. Looking to get some hunting this year with 6.5 Grendel and .300 BKT.

Barnes and other decent monolithics have proven themselves here for sure, but I prefer lead core, especially due to pricing here. In my 308, 180gr partitions , PMP proamm and Sierra pro hunters have been deadly, honestly I feel comfortable taking Eland with the partitions,they just work. If I were to be using any magnum caliber, I'd seriously look at Barnes and similar. The standard "heavies" work well out the 30 cal rifles due to sedate pace. If I had to choose just one bullet for the 308 or 06, it will probably be the Swift A frame but I would be happy with the others mentioned. From the monos, I'd use the 150gr TTSX.Many hunters assume they need a magnum or big bore caliber when coming here. I assure you, unless you after the dangerous game, this is not always the case. The most popular calibers used here by the locals are the 30 06, 308 and in the open plains the 270.

For Elk I'm fond of the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 165 gr. I have quite a supply of those and have always been impressed with how they performed.

So far I haven't found an all copper bullet that shoots well enough from my rifle.
    Last edited by Greg; 09-27-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Historically I have shot most everything with a Nosler Partition or Trophy Bond bullet, but in recent years I have gone to a Barnes bullet on anything I plan to eat. All three, the Partition, Trophy Bonded and the Barnes have performed superbly in the field, with the caveat the .375 Trophy Bonded Bullets seem to work better on larger game, and zip through smaller game without expanding much.
    I often hear people say that you can drop to the next lightest bullet weight with mono bullets, so if conventional wisdom calls for a 180-grain .308" slug, then a 165-grain .308" TTSX will provide the same results.

Have you found that to be true?

thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List