Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Revisited: logging inventory, practice, etc. data? Database/spreadsheet?

just build the damn thing.
    use it.
    find out what works and keep it.
    find out what doesn't and fix it.
    add stuff on you need.
    delete stuff you don't.
    recognize you don't know what you don't know, the possibility of tossing the whole bath out with the baby inside exists, accept it, and move on.

That's how mine's developed. I certainly didn't start it out like this!
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Actually that's what's happened. However, I succumbed to the ease of Access's prototyping and zipped through some forms and reports creation without fully realizing the behind the scenes analysis via VBA coding. In order words, my need to have something in my hands outweighed my need to plan/design and I actually had what was a "lookalike but non-functional" system. Shrug... It happens to me all the time.

Remember, I still have my Excel spreadsheet which is fully functional. The Access database system will supplant it times about 3.

Last edited by drmweaver2; 10-09-2016 at 04:29 PM.

moldy thread punt time.

got bored tonight while cleaning guns. decided I needed to answer another useless question.
    How many rounds fired since last cleaning?

Code:
    Cleaned Date:
    =TEXT(LOOKUP(2,1/(('Purchase Log'!$H$4:$H$1003='Ammo Report'!M4)*('Purchase Log'!$I$4:$I$1003=$C$1)),'Purchase Log'!$A$4:$A$1003),"yyyy/mm/dd")

Rounds:
    =ABS(SUMIFS('Purchase Log'!$E:$E,'Purchase Log'!$E:$E,"<0",'Purchase Log'!$H:$H,'Ammo Report'!M4,'Purchase Log'!$A:$A,">"&IFERROR(C2,0)))
    note: IFERROR needed to handle condition of Cleaned Date returning #N/A because I haven't cleaned that firearm at all yet!
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Didn't know one could own 36 firearms in the people's republic of NJ
    Last edited by CCT125US; 04-26-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List