Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revisited: logging inventory, practice, etc. data? Database/spreadsheet?

Revisited: logging inventory, practice, etc. data? Database/spreadsheet?

In another thread titled "What do you use for logging practice, load, etc. data?", I posted an Excel spreadsheet I had developed to track my rounds fired, results and basic shooting results. For a couple months now, it's served its purpose well but has shown me that I actually want a more comprehensive system.

I'm retired with a fair bit of time on my hands and my mind tends to revisit things others might consider "settled issues". Since posting my spreadsheet a month or so ago, I've come across 2 programs of possible interest to others: "Shotworks Pro" and "Gun Manager" which are "full" applications that include weapon inventory, ammo inventory and even some shooting results categories. Being cheap, I downloaded the demo and/or free version of each and have been "exploring"/evaluating both in comparison to my Excel spreadsheet.

Part of my comparison methodology has to do with being somewhat experienced with MS Access/SQL database designs. As I looked at both programs, I like how each is designed in some ways and believe that they might be over-engineered or over-complicated in other ways. I certainly don't like the inability to re-size their screens.

Another consideration is that Excel is great for quick and dirty flat-file work, but Access has the ability to "relate" different flat-file databases/Excel worksheets to each other in a more attractive format and a "turnkey" fashion. So, I've begun developing an MS Access application to combine "the best aspects"(what I like) of each of the above programs with what I like about my Excel spreadsheet.

Why post this as I'm certainly far from finished with my database?

1. I'm curious if anyone else has used the above 2 programs and, if so, what they liked about them and what they didn't.
    2. I'm also curious about whether anyone has used any other "turnkey" systems, what they are, their pluses and minuses and what they cost.
    3. Finally, I'm curious to find out if anyone else has designed a true database (not Excel/Apple spreadsheet) system that covers weapon, ammo & accessories inventories, ranges used, range results, weapon/accessories maintenance & modifications, and purchases/sales/disposals of weapons & accessories... If so, would they care to share their design details with me?

Like I said, too much time on my hands.

I developed (still developing?) my own over the past several years. The current iteration:

Primary data entry table. In fact it's the only table I enter raw data into.
    From that I generate various tables of information.

First In - First Out ammo lot log

Last Dates for Fired and Cleaned

General Ammo Report

I've been told by several people that I have a severe case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder when it comes to my ammo tracking. I won't disagree, but as a bonus I've learned a HELL of a lot about how to make the Excel monkey dance a pretty decent jig.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 09-26-2016 at 06:32 PM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Thanks for showing me that. It's interesting how your primary entry sheet is so "simple" yet can generate quite a bit of info. I don't think you're OCD at all (if I did, I'd probably have to admit to being OCD myself).

For comparison, my preliminary analysis of those 2 programs I mentioned above has something like 8 separate databases (including Mfg, Firearm, Ammo, Shooting Session/Results, Contacts/Addresses) and over 150 fields. Obviously overkill for a lot of purposes, but they are not just inventorying. They are archiving data for insurance and police report purposes too. That's kind of the "comprehensive" system I'm leaning toward developing.

And FWIW, here's a screenshot of my Excel spreadsheet...
    Name:  Excel1.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  91.7 KB
    Last edited by drmweaver2; 09-26-2016 at 07:21 PM.

Biggest problem is, it's answered questions that after reflection I never should of asked (like how much i've spent!!! )
    Last edited by hufnagel; 09-26-2016 at 07:27 PM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3

Quite possibly the best trackers I've ever seen- they blow mine out of the water. Looks like I need to work on my sheets this weekend!

if I remember, maybe I'll "blank" out a copy and post it for people to download and use.

Like hufnagel said,
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    ...as a bonus I've learned a HELL of a lot about how to make the Excel monkey dance a pretty decent jig.
    ...and this is what made me think of doing a true relational DB. As good as Excel is, and as much as I can make it dance, Access and Excel together can do competition-level waltzes! I'm pretty fair with Excel after messing with it for a decade or so, nearly as good with intermediate-level Access. So, now's the time for me to try to combine the best of both worlds (Access - entry and display forms; Excel data crunching and graphs [which are not my strongest suit]) and see if I can wrest some graphics out of Access database data.
    Last edited by drmweaver2; 09-26-2016 at 09:21 PM.

been down that road.
    started a project in excel.
    moved it up to access.
    at the end of the day I finally graduated it to a full blown MS SQL server, with VBscript, PERL, and batch all involved in the data conversion and importation, with Access being used for the graphical front end. fun times. still one of my favorite I.T. projects ever, even if it did wind up costing 4 paper shuffling employees their jobs. I do feel a little pang of regret for that.

Reloading tracking is what I'm working on.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    been down that road....at the end of the day I finally graduated it to a full blown MS SQL server....
    Well, I won't go that far down the road. Not THAT interested and I'm pretty sure that Access+Excel can do what I want. If I were thinking of a commercial development project, maybe. But, for just myself and maybe 1 or 2 others who might ask, I'm being realistic about my skills, goals and available resources.

Plus, if I spend all this time on a project, I might neglect my dry-fire and real shooting! NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

User Tag List