Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Active" Shooting In My Patrol District. (Not During My Shift.)

Plz confirm the eotech rumor.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Side note:

My biggest problem with eotech/aimpoint in LE is we do a lot of work from right out of the car. Dozens of times I have sat in a parking lot waiting on dope or aliens deal to go down. Boss calls on the radio "there's the bust signal go go go". I hop out with my eotech and shoulder it and boom, glass is too fogged to use . Cold AC in car + massive Houston Humidity = useless sight for 1-3 minutes.

Buy the time the take down is done. The sight is un fogged and ready to go. Never had an optic on my MP5, so never had the problem. Always have an optic on my M4, so I always have the problem (9 months of the year when it's hot and sticky)...

Same thing happens with my sunglasses, but I can ditch those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you allowed to put off set iron sights on your rifle?

I was at the HPD academy when this was happening, forgot to read up on it until now. Interesting, but not surprising if the EOTech actually failed.

My biggest problem with eotech/aimpoint in LE is we do a lot of work from right out of the car. Dozens of times I have sat in a parking lot waiting on dope or aliens deal to go down. Boss calls on the radio "there's the bust signal go go go". I hop out with my eotech and shoulder it and boom, glass is too fogged to use . Cold AC in car + massive Houston Humidity = useless sight for 1-3 minutes.
    I work in Mississippi and have seen the same thing. Divers' mask anti-fog largely negates the issue.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Bad guy had a 1911 and a "semi auto Thompson carbine". Probably an A1 style ww2 reproduction. Suspect had 2,600 rounds of .45 in his car. He never went far from the car. He used a tree as cover.

Suspect was wearing "some type of military fatigues" and has some "items bearing Nazi markings" in his car. Multiple historical uniforms ranging from civil war to ww2 found in his condo.

All info is still considered rumor. But from pretty good source.

Allegedly, one of the first officers on scene with a rifle had his eotech crap out on him. Allegedly....

Y'all still have Eo-Techs? We have already swapped ours out for H-1's.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    Are you allowed to put off set iron sights on your rifle?
    Short answer, No. Not Gadfly. but we are issued 14.5' or 11.5" M-4s with A frame frame front sights and flip up rears. Personal sights are prohibited.

"Active" Shooting In My Patrol District. (Not During My Shift.)

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I work in Mississippi and have seen the same thing. Divers' mask anti-fog largely negates the issue.
    Divers anti fog.

https://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Go.../dp/B000GFZZOU

I ran out on a motorcycle trip in Iceland where my glasses fogged up on top of a mountain in a storm. We put a very thin layer of dish soap on my glasses. That worked too. You want to stick to anti fog, but I very literally bet my life on that soap and it worked.

Last edited by TR675; 09-30-2016 at 05:07 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Short answer, No. Not Gadfly. but we are issued 14.5' or 11.5" M-4s with A frame frame front sights and flip up rears. Personal sights are prohibited.
    Damm it Beavis. ( I am not calling you Beavis; i just like the cartoon.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    Damm it Beavis. ( I am not calling you Beavis; i just like the cartoon.)
    As noted above we are switching from Eo-Tech 552's to Aimpoints H-1's in LRP mounts. Current slings are viking tactics padded. Current weapons light is the TLR LED long gun version.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Y'all still have Eo-Techs? We have already swapped ours out for H-1's.
    I have an H1 (for about 6 months now). But only about 30% of our rifles do. We are slowly getting in replacements as we send our 14.5" guns in to get rehabbed and cut to 11.5". SRT and RRT swapped out. We are slowly getting the rest of the office done.

I was not at the incident. I only spoke to a couple of guys after the incident. Don't have the name of the officer that allegedly had his sight crap out. So I can't confirm. Just had a buddy with some inside knowledge pass it on to me... but he has no reason to lie and I have no reason to doubt after dealing with 100+ Eos for over a decade.

“A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

User Tag List