Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Active" Shooting In My Patrol District. (Not During My Shift.)

That officer should have never had the Eotech on his weapon. The department prohibited the use of Eotech sights in January of this year due to the L-3 communications lawsuit. Its either Aimpoint or iron sights until another optical sight is selected. From what I heard none of the first few officers on scene had carbines, which isn't surprising. I think an HPD officer engaged the shooter with a pistol while the suspect was firing from behind the tree. Suspect was hit in the leg and fell down, a West University officer with a carbine fired the last shot. I'm surprised that this incident had as much media coverage as it did. The memorial day active shooter suspect fired 300 rounds, five of which went into our helicopter, and 2 officers were shot barely made the local news.
    Last edited by andre3k; 10-03-2016 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    That officer should have never had the Eotech on his weapon. The department prohibited the use of Eotech sights in January of this year due to the L-3 communications lawsuit. Its either Aimpoint or iron sights until another optical sight is selected. From what I heard none of the first few officers on scene had carbines, which isn't surprising. I think an HPD officer engaged the shooter with a pistol while the suspect was firing from behind the tree. Suspect was hit in the leg and fell down, a West University officer with a carbine fired the last shot. I'm surprised that this incident had as much media coverage as it did. The memorial day active shooter suspect fired 300 rounds, five of which went into our helicopter, and 2 officers were shot barely made the local news.
    This incident made the news because it was mistakenly reported as a "mall shooting." Mall shootings are much more sensational than one troubled individual having a melt-down along a residential street. The shooting was even on BBC, with the same "mall shooting" headline/misinformation.

Regarding responding officers having rifles, or not, well, I could have said, in my first post in this thread, exactly how many day-shift HPD Central Patrol officers have department-approved rifles. I chose not to mention it. (I am not sure about West U.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 10-04-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    Rex G mentioned the area borders on some other justisdictions, some of which responded - could the Eo-Tech Failure have been with one of the other justisdictions ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I have an H1 (for about 6 months now). But only about 30% of our rifles do. We are slowly getting in replacements as we send our 14.5" guns in to get rehabbed and cut to 11.5". SRT and RRT swapped out. We are slowly getting the rest of the office done.

I was not at the incident. I only spoke to a couple of guys after the incident. Don't have the name of the officer that allegedly had his sight crap out. So I can't confirm. Just had a buddy with some inside knowledge pass it on to me... but he has no reason to lie and I have no reason to doubt after dealing with 100+ Eos for over a decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Re: our guns, they are re- barreling them with new barrels as part of the re- hab/ re build. The first ones had all heavy 11.5" heavy barrels like the FBI SWAT guns, but we have subsequently been getting a mix of heavy barrels and light barrels. Some with ambi safeties, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Rex G mentioned the area borders on some other justisdictions, some of which responded - could the Eo-Tech Failure have been with one of the other justisdictions ?
    This is quite possible.

No optics allowed on patrol rifles here. It's irons only unless you are SWAT. They recently ditched Eotechs and got Aimpoints on their Sig SBRs.

Very little training here for patrol. Most officers think that handguns are 15 yard only weapons and that carbines and 20 inch rifles are 50 yards and in.

And due to no training, these limitations are user based and not equipment based.

Woefully unprepared is an understatement. Those of us that train on our own dime are probably less than 5 percent of total sworn staff.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    No optics allowed on patrol rifles here. It's irons only unless you are SWAT. They recently ditched Eotechs and got Aimpoints on their Sig SBRs.

Very little training here for patrol. Most officers think that handguns are 15 yard only weapons and that carbines and 20 inch rifles are 50 yards and in.

And due to no training, these limitations are user based and not equipment based.

Woefully unprepared is an understatement. Those of us that train on our own dime are probably less than 5 percent of total sworn staff.
    Should I expect that to be the same wherever I end up working? From my perspective, that all seems crazy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Should I expect that to be the same wherever I end up working? From my perspective, that all seems crazy.
    No, this will vary greatly from agency to agency.

some agencies have a culture of using modern equipment and shooting regularly, including taking pride in marksmanship skill.

other agencies are the complete opposite. They do the bare minimum required.

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    As HCM just indicated, it varies. Sometimes, it will vary over time, within individual departments.

Training on your own dime is, of course, generally a good idea, assuming you seek enlightened, well-qualified instructors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    As HCM just indicated, it varies. Sometimes, it will vary over time, within individual departments.

Training on your own dime is, of course, generally a good idea, assuming you seek enlightened, well-qualified instructors.

I do what I can these days, even if it's only dry-fire practice.

The way I see it, if you're gonna carry a gun on the job with you--you ought to be damn good with it.

User Tag List