Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 380 acp vs 22 magnum?

380 acp vs 22 magnum?

I'm considering a Ruger LCR 22 magnum. Is 22 magnum a better choice for conceal carry than 380 acp?

Site Supporter
    Worse. Rim fire ignition vs center fire. If you end up with a light pocket revolver, get a .38 Special. If you want lighter recoil in a practice piece, get a second one in .22LR.

Site Supporter
    Having fired tens of thousands of both rimfire and centerfire throughout my life, the idea that rimfire is less reliable is contrary to my experience. Either will be reliable if you buy good quality ammo. Either will be unreliable if you buy lesser quality ammo.

The only way a .22 magnum LCR makes sense is if one cannot handle .38 recoil. In that case, I would question the wisdom of a gun with a heavy DA trigger.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    I don't know about the latest ammo but I had a SW 651 - very nice J frame in 22 Mag. I found that after a box of 50 rounds, it was so gummed up with residue from the rounds that I had to soak it in hydrochloric acid, heat in a furnance and pound it on an anvil to free the cylinder. Not really - but the cylinder did glue itself tight with junk. At 7 yards, it would leave cloud of soot and unburned powder on a paper target.

Now are the newer rounds like the Hornady Critical Defense better - they are supposedly optimized for the short barrel guns but never tested one.

I also have a NAA Mini in 22 Mag with a 1 5/8 barrel. It was cute and not a primary. It's a backup - when I want something very, very light in a coat or jacket pocket. It IS NOT optimal as a BUG.

It is also one of the loudest guns to shoot. I once shot it at an indoor range between two partitions. You can shoot a 9 or 45 easily. Well, when the mini went off - I thought I blew up. I felt a shock wave under my glasses and my hair felt (had hair once) felt it went flat back on my head. I slammed my eyes shut in reflex. Geez!

Could I shoot the gun accurately? I know we are taking about an LCR but just FYI, I shot the old DPS Texas CHL protocol with it. Here's a pictorial result. I put graphic dots on the target to show the hits. Name:  mouse.jpg
Views: 6491
Size:  43.8 KB

That being said - I really don't see the 22 mag revolver as a real EDC or BUG. There are better J or LCR options - like lower recoil 38s or the 32/327 types. You get 6 rounds with the 32s if capacity is an issue. Also, rimfire revolver triggers can suck.

I think from previous posts the OP is looking for a good pocket EDC - well, if you do get a revolver or 380 semi - you'd better practice with the thing. In fact, I packed up one of my 327 J frames for a match tomorrow (don't rain) to get some trigger time with it.

Buy a Walther PPS M2 and call it good, lawnguy.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    Buy a Walther PPS M2 and call it good, lawnguy.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    I think you mentioned this before. What's so awesome about a Walther PPS M2,compared to other similar 9mm?

Take a look at the PPS thread

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Walther-PPS-M2

It looks like you are in learning mode, I suggest you start reading through the forum as the answers you seek are there already. In fact intelligent answers to questions you've not thought of are already there. To date you have focused on hardware, now consider looking at the mental and physical tools required to run that hardware.

I would pick the 380 in a heartbeat over the 22 mag in a short barrel handgun:

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html

I love the .22 Magnum, it is my favorite general purpose cartridge in a bolt gun for killing smallish things that need killing. With that in mind, out of a handgun it's...not so great. .380 ACP ammo is going to be easier to find, of better quality, and there is an abundance of excellent .380 handguns on the market right now.

http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...r-self-defense

I am not advocating for either, but the founder of the shooting school with the initials RSS, carries a .22 magnum revolver as a BUG. His logic is more ammo than a .38, easier to shoot than a .38, and he figures he will be putting rounds into an eye socket anyway.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List