Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 380 acp vs 22 magnum?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    That is to say, they're both at the upper end of "I sure hope this works" rather than "I have confidence this will work."
    FIFY, except that a lot of people don't understand the difference between the two, so they're sure anything will work.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I think a .22 mag would be an excellent self defense rifle for the average person.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I love the .22 Magnum, it is my favorite general purpose cartridge in a bolt gun for killing smallish things that need killing. With that in mind, out of a handgun it's...not so great. .380 ACP ammo is going to be easier to find, of better quality, and there is an abundance of excellent .380 handguns on the market right now.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Just did some research an a .22 WMR semi auto rifle. Turns out it's not such a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I think a .22 mag would be an excellent self defense rifle for the average person.

Just did some research an a .22 WMR semi auto rifle. Turns out it's not such a great idea.
    The Ruger 10/22 Magnum was about the only .22 WMR semi-auto that was worth a crap, but it was relatively expensive to make and was a low interest item, so they stopped making them. It was a cool little gun, but just never sold that well. I still have a Marlin 25M bolt gun in .22 Magnum that I've killed a lot of things with, and on anything up to a small coyote, .22 WMR is hot death.

Out of a 22 inch long rifle barrel, mind you.

The Ruger 10/22 Magnum was about the only .22 WMR semi-auto that was worth a crap, but it was relatively expensive to make and was a low interest item, so they stopped making them. It was a cool little gun, but just never sold that well. I still have a Marlin 25M bolt gun in .22 Magnum that I've killed a lot of things with, and on anything up to a small coyote, .22 WMR is hot death.
    Making prairie dogs blow up real good!

The Ruger 10/22 mag sold like hot cakes, but had extraction issues and broken bolt problems. I had single extractor model and sold it to get a Greek G3.

Reading this article, I am not see material difference between .22 magnum out of a J frame vs a 22 inch barrel?

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-self-defense/
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    The Ruger 10/22 Magnum was about the only .22 WMR semi-auto that was worth a crap...
    The problem with straight blowback .22WMR guns is folks treat them like regular .22LR guns, cleaning them hardly ever and firing them at the cyclic.

A slightly out-of-battery discharge in a .22LR is moderately exciting, but in a .22WMR gun it can get mighty sporty.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I didn't bother to read the article but that's not possible. http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html
    CZ and Savage both have a .22 magnum semi auto rifle using a delayed blowback.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Reading this article, I am not see material difference between .22 magnum out of a J frame vs a 22 inch barrel?

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-self-defense/

I didn't bother to read the article but that's not possible. http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html
    CZ and Savage both have a .22 magnum semi auto rifle using a delayed blowback.
    I am referring to penetration, not velocity.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List