Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Rich's RV and Shootin' Tour 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Have not made plans after that, but we are thinking of going to visit the Leavenworth WA area. This would be for the week prior to putting the AS in storage in Bothell WA for the Alaska Cruise. We'd drive East from Portland then North though Yakima. That area seems to be popular with RVers, from what we hear. Plus I won't have to drive through I5 and Seattle again to get to Bothell. That really sucked.

We'll be a week in Bothell mid August while we figure out our route East and back to Tampa more or less 1 December. That will be 9 months on the road, probably enough for this go round.
    Leavenworth is awesome, an example of a kitschy tourist town where they stick to the plan and make it work. Granted, it's easy to do faux Bavaria in that part of WA. Couple of good winery and distillery tasting rooms, and all the stores selling tsochkes you don't have room for in a MacMansion, let alone an Airstream...
    Highly recommend the Andreas Keller for schnitzel, and the soup cellar, too.

I don't remember which cruise line you're doing Alaska on, we did it on Princess as a family reunion several years ago, and it was awesome. Been pining for the fjords ever since. I have some pictures up, if you want a taste: Skagway and the White Pass & Yukon Route rail tour, Tracy Arm Fjord & Juneau, Ketchikan. As you can see, you need to be prepared for drizzly, cool, weather. Still, the scenery is gorgeous, so you'll want to be where you can see all day.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Leavenworth is awesome, an example of a kitschy tourist town where they stick to the plan and make it work. Granted, it's easy to do faux Bavaria in that part of WA. Couple of good winery and distillery tasting rooms, and all the stores selling tsochkes you don't have room for in a MacMansion, let alone an Airstream...
    Highly recommend the Andreas Keller for schnitzel, and the soup cellar, too.

I don't remember which cruise line you're doing Alaska on, we did it on Princess as a family reunion several years ago, and it was awesome. Been pining for the fjords ever since. I have some pictures up, if you want a taste: Skagway and the White Pass & Yukon Route rail tour, Tracy Arm Fjord & Juneau, Ketchikan. As you can see, you need to be prepared for drizzly, cool, weather. Still, the scenery is gorgeous, so you'll want to be where you can see all day.
    Thanks!

We had a town something like that near Atlanta called Helen GA. Up in the mountains, they went all Bavarian and Lederhosen a few years ago. Now the town is all Bier und Schnitzel und Gemütlichkeit. Since I was born in Germany, and my wife went to High School in Munich, I'll bet we will enjoy Leavenworth.

Yeah, we are going on Holland America; you know, 'Newlywed or Nearly Dead.'

But seriously: This will be our third Cruise on HA; we like the Dutch officers and Indonesian staff. The ships are always very clean.

I've been to AK on a cruise twice before myself; it will be the Mrs. first trip. Hopefully we won't be dragged off by the Alaskan mosquitos lol.

I'll have to post the itinerary, but we have 5 or 6 stops planned, with some shore excursions. Plus days at sea watching the sights go by, which we quite like.

We've had this on our bucket list for some time, and are quite looking forward to it.

We'll be a week in Bothell mid August while we figure out our route East and back to Tampa more or less 1 December. That will be 9 months on the road, probably enough for this go round.
    Come back through Texas so we can do more BBQ and a range trip!

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Come back through Texas so we can do more BBQ and a range trip!
    Definitely in the future. We booked an Airstream Rally in Johnson City TX April 2018, not a million miles away from DFW.

We're actually talking about heading East on I90 through to Coeur d'Alene ID then up to Kalispell / Whitefish MT near Glacier National Park for a bit. From there maybe past Missoula to Billings, and on to the Rapid City area (Custer, Badlands, Deadwood).

After that we have a few places in Indiana and Ohio (Airstream Factory, Cummins Engine Plant) likely Sep/Oct, but things are not exactly firmed up.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Looking forward to an AAR on the Alaska Cruise.
    Will do. Here's our itinerary:

I believe the guy that made my ulu is based in Homer, those things make dandy souvenirs. Especially the ones made well enough to actually use...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Have friends who live on Kodiak. Beautiful place!

We're actually talking about heading East on I90 through to Coeur d'Alene ID then up to Kalispell / Whitefish MT near Glacier National Park for a bit. From there maybe past Missoula to Billings, and on to the Rapid City area (Custer, Badlands, Deadwood...
    If you do, give a shout here in advance. There are a bunch of us here in the spokane/cd'a area (at least 5 that i can think of, though we've not yet met). Failing that, let us know about leavenworth. No promises, because, work and all, but I've been known to drive around the state to have a brew with forum buddies before. Of course, C d'A is closer, and quite lovely. Could be a good excuse for a P-F get together.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    If you do, give a shout here in advance. There are a bunch of us here in the spokane/cd'a area (at least 5 that i can think of, though we've not yet met). Failing that, let us know about leavenworth. No promises, because, work and all, but I've been known to drive around the state to have a brew with forum buddies before. Of course, C d'A is closer, and quite lovely. Could be a good excuse for a P-F get together.
    You bet.

If we end up going that route, it will be somewhere in the second half of August. Ish.

Arrived here in Sequim WA after a short 70 miles or so up the 101. Drive was pretty, then turned a bit cloudy and overcast with some mist.

Anyway, the Park is small, just 28 sites. We have a back-In near the office.

The connections are great, and, as a first for us, they offer a DSL connection at the Pedestal. I just connected a Cat 5e cable to my local router and got this:

Ho Lee Shit. I'll take a 54 Mbps download speed, for sure.

My new Samsung 32" 1080P TV is already set up for Amazon Prime; so it looks like we'll be streaming our little brains out the next 6 days, when we're not out sightseeing:

There are a couple local options for shooting ranges that popped up on Google maps. I want to shoot a few rounds of the AE I bought as a check, and do a monthly check of The Test and 25 yard B8 2hu to blow off the cobwebs.

Sequim looks like a nice quiet town, not unlike Anacortes. Apparently it gets the least amount of rain of towns in the area, which would be cool.

User Tag List