Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rich's RV and Shootin' Tour 2017

Site Supporter
    If you are coming down I-35 in Texas:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/food/res...-35-127251.php

BTW, Austin is a fun visit for restaurants and a couple of good gun stores, book stores and foodie places. Let us know if you are in the area of San Antonio. If you are here on a weekend - plenty of matches!

Coeur d'Alene has great sight seeing, yes, but also a few killer brew pubs and a nice range 3 miles away in
    Post Falls. I could be convinced to stop in at either or both. Will follow this thread...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

BTW, Austin is a fun visit for restaurants and a couple of good gun stores, book stores and foodie places. Let us know if you are in the area of San Antonio. If you are here on a weekend - plenty of matches!
    Re: the I-35 list number 10 of 22, The Lords Burgers has great food but it is only open for lunch till about 3:30 spam because it is in a BAD neighborhood - you do not want to be there after dark.

Re: 11 of 22, Pico de Gallo, it's nothing special - Mi Tierra on the opposite side of IH 35 is much better as is La Margarita next door. The weekend food vendors outside at the mercado are all pretty good as well. There is also a Fruteria there with fresh fruit deserts as well as Raspas (Mexican shaved ice) and Paletas (various fruit and milk based frozen treats).

My aunt and uncle reported that the RV park on the SW side of Lake Lewisville (NW DFW area) was very nice. I bet we could a Arrange a BBQ/adult beverage meetup while ya'll are in town.

Are you attending TacCon again on this tour?

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post

Are you attending TacCon again on this tour?
    No, I won't be in Little Rock.

My '17 training budget is fairly limited, so I'm planning for a 2 day defensive pistol course from a good regional trainer somewhere along our route.

It was a hard call to make; because for a noob, there is a lot to like about tac-con. I just felt this next year, I really needed to get some focused time for *me*.

So far, the planets aren't lining up for a course though, as I don't think the folks I follow are scheduling spring/summer just yet. But this is kind of why I started my planning much earlier than last year. I have several in mind, just trying to catch the right instructor at the right location at the right time.

PS Thanks all for the comments! Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Ok, so here is roughly what we are thinking about at the moment:

Texas

Dalles, Lockhart, (Blacks BBQ , San Antonio, Waco (HGTV )
    Since Corpus Christi isn't on the route this year, maybe I can catch you in San Antonio, work schedule permitting.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Take a look at Independence Training in AZ. They apparently run a solid program. They regularly host Craig Douglas and Cecil Burch, so how bad could they possibly be. They run several classes a month.

Site Supporter
    Will you pass through north GA this trip?

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Say hi to Chip and Jo when you get to Waco.

I'd be happy to buy you and the Missus a plate of BBQ here in Texas. Only we don't use plates, they just pile it on a big piece of butcher paper and you wade in with both hands.
    Hah - You caught that. Yeah, my wife is totally taken with Waco and that show. Jo is a genius, and Chip is a riot (not, of course, that *I* watch it -- eek.

Thanks for the BBQ offer! Yeah, I ordered "1/2 lb, moist" at Black's in Lockhart like a pro, but only because that's what they guy ahead of me did lol. We did explain that we were just visiting from Florida, and they really took care of us. Yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    I know a little about some of your Texas stops.
    Pack a lunch on that trip to Waco. According to my wife there's a line at that store every day of the week. Also since you're in Waco try to work in a stop at the Texas Rangers Museum there, they have some mighty fine handguns.
    Mi Tierra in San Antonio is always dependable.
    Also, try to take in a Buccees just for the spectacle. The women in my family refuse to let me drive by one for no other reason than the bathrooms.
    I live in east Texas near Nacogdoches if you pass near there let me know. Our BBQ isn't as good as the hill country but I can hook you up with some mighty fine chicken fried steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gotcha, thanks! Much appreciated. We've stayed maybe 6 weeks so far in San Antonio on our 2015 and 2016 trips so far. We really like it. Nicha's is a favorite.

Waco and the Texas Ranger museum is a must. We missed it this year because we were dealing with a failed service jack on the Airstream in Austin, and then I had to swap out the tires on the RV in San Antonio. Knock on wood, our schedule should permit us to spend some time in Waco.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Tucson or Tombstone, I'll probably be around.
    Tucson, for sure, if we head south enough. We missed Old Tucson as well as the Boneyard at Davis Monthan AFB (I like old planes) due to a bad AC unit (third problem we had this year; hopefully last) on the Airstream.

We loved Tombstone, it had been on my list since I was a kid. We did two days there and had a blast. Even shot a six-gun (Ruger Vacquero?) using wax bullets. The town is a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    You got my number Rich, use it when your in SA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    That would be Mount Olympus...

Back in 94 (I think) we rented a camper at the Ft Carson, CO, MWR and drove back to Michigan for a family reunion. We spent a week or so sightseeing, Mrs. Drang had never been. Her impression of the UP was "Like WA only flatter."
    We never made it to the western UP for her to check out the Porcupine or Huron Mountains
    Oops! Thanks for the correction, and the local info.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    If you want an easier(ish) drive between Boise and C'DA -- Walla Walla is good stop, especially if you like wine. (And there's a good outdoor range nearby).
    Gotcha. We stayed almost a week in Pocatello last year, and enjoyed it, honestly. Maybe it's all the wide open spaces out there. We'll make a note on Walla Walla. With the Solar in the Airstream, we are not limited to sites with just shore power, mostly it's black tank (toilet waste) capacity, unless we can't vent our gray tank (shower waste).

So it is a hope of mine we can stay at or in National Forests in the back country; or as back country as I can get with a truck and trailer weighing north of 15,000 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Unless I'm misunderstanding the geometry of your trip, you'll have to pass through MN on the way to the MI UP. If that involves the Twin Cities, feel free to hit me up. I'd be happy to meet at one of our excellent local breweries for a craft beer or meet at a local USPSA match for a good time shooting. The MN match calendar is pretty empty for next spring/summer so far, but any time between May and August, there should be matches on Tuesday & Thursday evenings at minimum, with quite a few Saturday and/or Sunday morning ones, as well.
    Definitely! I will make a note of Minesoooooooota.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

We did a week in Austin, waiting for aforementioned jack part. It was a lot of fun, but in the end, we think we are ok missing it next time. Torchy's Tacos was pretty good though, I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Coeur d'Alene has great sight seeing, yes, but also a few killer brew pubs and a nice range 3 miles away in
    Post Falls. I could be convinced to stop in at either or both. Will follow this thread...
    Very cool. Yes, we are definitely going to explore Idaho and C'dA.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Re: the I-35 list number 10 of 22, The Lords Burgers has great food but it is only open for lunch till about 3:30 spam because it is in a BAD neighborhood - you do not want to be there after dark.

Re: 11 of 22, Pico de Gallo, it's nothing special - Mi Tierra on the opposite side of IH 35 is much better as is La Margarita next door. The weekend food vendors outside at the mercado are all pretty good as well. There is also a Fruteria there with fresh fruit deserts as well as Raspas (Mexican shaved ice) and Paletas (various fruit and milk based frozen treats).
    Thanks, yeah, as you know we stayed south, off Roosevelt, but good to know east of town is Not a Terrific Area.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Since Corpus Christi isn't on the route this year, maybe I can catch you in San Antonio, work schedule permitting.
    Chuck - see PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Take a look at Independence Training in AZ. They apparently run a solid program. They regularly host Craig Douglas and Cecil Burch, so how bad could they possibly be. They run several classes a month.
    Thanks! We loved the week we had in Mesa (Phoenix) and would stay again if we decide to head up through AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Will you pass through north GA this trip?
    Ranger - Not on the way up; but maybe in the fall on the way down. We stayed at the lake that one time we discussed, that turned out ver nice. I could see spending more time, but as you know we were on a mission that week.

Site Supporter
    Rich,

Two suggestions: You must visit Canyon De Chelly in Chinle, Navajo Nation, Arizona. It is a most beautiful place, once you’re in the canyon. Do not just walk the rim, take a full day tour, and see the canyon from the inside. This is a must see place.

Next, is the South Mineral Creek campground just outside of Silverton, Colorado. It is the most beautiful campground I’ve ever been to. There is hike starting right across the road up to a lake at 12K that is worth the effort. Ice Lake I think the name is. Also, unhook that trailer and see if your rig will make it to the top of Cinnamon Pass on the east side of Silverton.

If you’re in Mesa/Scottsdale, give a call and we can do a beer or two.

User Tag List