Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rich's RV and Shootin' Tour 2017

Rich's RV and Shootin' Tour 2017

Hi everybody. A few of you participated in my 2016 RV tour this year, captured here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....otin-Tour-2016

The only thing that disappointed me about the trip, was that I did not get to meet or shoot with as many of you all as I would have liked.

For 2017, I aim to rectify that by trying to lay out our travel itinerary much much earlier. What I'm hoping, is that if it's apparent we are going to be in a particular area, that I can make better plans to connect with some of ya'll.

Mind, I don't want to just go shooting, it'd be great just to meet up at the RV (I'll give ya a free tour ) or a local watering hole for an adult beverage.

I am really looking forward to this trip; I've met so many of you “online”, it would be great to connect up in person to put a face to a name and make a few new friends.

Our rig for next year is still going to be the truck/Airstream combination. My 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins diesel is going great, 0 issues, with 22K miles so far. I have maybe 7,500 miles towing; that diesel engine makes it effortless.

We'd changed up the Airstream from a 27' Flying Cloud to a 30' model before we got off the road this year.

The key reasons were going from twin beds to a Queen (because: reasons) and to go with the much bigger rear couch and more convenient side dinette in the 30 footer. It is a bit heavier (6,500# empty), but the truck tows it with no problem. A useful benefit of the new trailer is that it has the factory solar upgrade; so I have two 100W panels as well as a solar controller. We still have the two AC units, and a very useful and much bigger 54 gallon freshwater tank.

This is us in Death Valley near Furnace Springs. It's the 27' Flying Cloud, but the 30' is just a bit longer:

Anyway, generally, our current plan is to head diagonally, from Tampa, up through the country headed more or less towards Washington state. We'll then tour across the top, headed back down through the midwest back to Florida. We don't have any plans to pop into Canada at this time.

We are planning to be out starting in April, through approximately October, 7 months.

I'll put my thoughts on itinerary details in the next post.

Thanks and I hope to meet as many of you as possible!

Rich
    Last edited by RJ; 09-23-2016 at 06:13 PM.

Ok, so here is roughly what we are thinking about at the moment:

Texas

Dalles, Lockhart, (Blacks BBQ , San Antonio, Waco (HGTV )

Indiana

Columbus (Architecture, Cummins Diesel Plant)

Colorado

Rockies (Sightseeing)

Wyoming

Cody, Cheyenne

South Dakota

Mt Rushmore, Deadwood, Black Hills (Sightseeing)

Idaho

Boise, Coeur d'Alene (Sightseeing)

Oregon

Portland, Astoria, Bend (Family visit, Crater Lake)

Washington

Olympia - Mt Olympia (Camping)

Montana

Kalispell, Bozeman, Flathead Lake (Camping)

Arizona

Tucson, Flagstaff (Old Tucson, sightseeing)

Michigan

Upper Peninsula (sightseeing)

Say hi to Chip and Jo when you get to Waco.

I'd be happy to buy you and the Missus a plate of BBQ here in Texas. Only we don't use plates, they just pile it on a big piece of butcher paper and you wade in with both hands.

Rich's RV and Shootin' Tour 2017

I know a little about some of your Texas stops.
    Pack a lunch on that trip to Waco. According to my wife there's a line at that store every day of the week. Also since you're in Waco try to work in a stop at the Texas Rangers Museum there, they have some mighty fine handguns.
    Mi Tierra in San Antonio is always dependable.
    Also, try to take in a Buccees just for the spectacle. The women in my family refuse to let me drive by one for no other reason than the bathrooms.
    I live in east Texas near Nacogdoches if you pass near there let me know. Our BBQ isn't as good as the hill country but I can hook you up with some mighty fine chicken fried steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Eastex; 09-23-2016 at 08:18 PM.

Site Supporter
    Looking forward to the trip and ideas for my future retirement!

Site Supporter
    Tucson or Tombstone, I'll probably be around.

You got my number Rich, use it when your in SA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Washington
    Olympia - Mt Olympia (Camping)
    That would be Mount Olympus...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Michigan
    Upper Peninsula (sightseeing)
    Back in 94 (I think) we rented a camper at the Ft Carson, CO, MWR and drove back to Michigan for a family reunion. We spent a week or so sightseeing, Mrs. Drang had never been. Her impression of the UP was "Like WA only flatter."
    We never made it to the western UP for her to check out the Porcupine or Huron Mountains
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    If you want an easier(ish) drive between Boise and C'DA -- Walla Walla is good stop, especially if you like wine. (And there's a good outdoor range nearby).

Unless I'm misunderstanding the geometry of your trip, you'll have to pass through MN on the way to the MI UP. If that involves the Twin Cities, feel free to hit me up. I'd be happy to meet at one of our excellent local breweries for a craft beer or meet at a local USPSA match for a good time shooting. The MN match calendar is pretty empty for next spring/summer so far, but any time between May and August, there should be matches on Tuesday & Thursday evenings at minimum, with quite a few Saturday and/or Sunday morning ones, as well.

User Tag List