Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Review: Dark Star Gear AIWB & JMCK "George" Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by NCmtnman View Post
    I always go back to a few things: 1. Can I get away with it in a plane/airport without having to dress out of my norm? 2. Will my son use it as a ledge to stand on or pull up on and if so will it pull forward enough to readjust?

It's okay if you wear 'muscle shirts'. Just post them up in a different thread
    I've worn the holsters with regular old (not baggy) t-shirts and polos without anyone being the wiser. I haven't tried it at the airport since I no longer fly armed. I really think it comes down to positioning (and as OnionsAndDragons said, body type). Some clothing may require a bit of creativity.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Just a quick update to say that I'm really bonding with the DSG holster. I've been wearing it the past few days and since I set the clip to the high set of holes I'm pretty darn pleased with the combination of comfort and concealment with my G19 (especially). Grip is excellent, on and off effortless and it feels nice and secure on the belt.

Since the belts I wear are either steel or polymer lined 1.5" leather, there is just a small amount of movement at the belt / clip intersection but nothing that seems to effect positioning or draw. The holster remains in the position on the belt it was placed in. Only the cant is very slightly effected by the "wiggle room" available.
    Last edited by blues; 09-26-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Blues,

I highly recommend trying a pad on the DSG claw holster. I have been carrying Tony's most recent claw design for a while now and love it. Just like you I find that it isn't all that necessary for good concealment but it does make a small difference. The pads hold up really well and I have used the same one for a year now, so it is formed well to me and makes bending over more comfortable then sans pad. I may contact Tony at some point and try a reduced sized pad to see how that rides, but I am happy so I haven't bothered yet.

I would highly recommend you put some velcro on the DSG and try your pad on it for a while, worst comes to worst you can take it back off.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    "You have to go faster to get faster and wasted motion is dumb."

Thanks, Sean, much appreciated.

As mentioned, I did try my own Rube Goldberg setup made from a couple of heel portions of neoprene insoles I had laying around from years ago.
    It did make a bit of a difference with concealment and that was with me only attaching them with a rubber band.

Tom wrote me over the weekend and said he will be doing some tests with pads / wedges he has designed or otherwise come up with and will send me some to test when available. I'm sure they'll be far superior to my own bastardized attempt.

I may follow your lead and try the wedge from my JMCK holster as well. Thanks for the tip.

I too am very pleased with JMCK and DSG appendix offerings. Right now I am carrying my Glock 17 Gen 4 in the DSG, and think that both offerings are top tier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    I too am very pleased with JMCK and DSG appendix offerings. Right now I am carrying my Glock 17 Gen 4 in the DSG, and think that both offerings are top tier.
    Couldn't agree more...

Just a couple of updates. On the JMCK front, Tony is going to build me an AIWB holster for my new Gen 4 G17 equipped with the Streamlight TLR-1 HL based upon the design he and SLG have come up with. Though I don't (at this time) intend to EDC the G17 / light combo, I do want the option and this should be as good as it gets imho based upon my prior experience with Tony's work and my confidence that SLG's input will only make it that much better.

On the DSG front, Tom and I have been talking for a few months about the steel clip most of us are familiar with on Tom's holsters versus the PTD soft loops I've become enamored with since installing them on my JMCK "George". We discussed concealment and printing vs. comfort and stability amongst other things. One of the very few things I didn't like about the clip is that it would shift / rotate more than I like on my 1.5" belts since it can accommodate 1.75" belts as well.
    (I imagine that down the road I might not like wear and tear on my trousers but thus far I haven't experienced that.)

Anyway, Tom was kind enough to gift me a G17 AIWB holster equipped with PTD loops and the comfort cut, (which removes some material from the dust cover), so that I'd have one holster set up in each manner and I could supply him with feedback regarding how they carried, printed etc.

Here's the new holster:

Name:  FullSizeRender - Edited.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender (1) - Edited.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  59.6 KB

And here are some images taken while wearing the holster. (The belt in the one image is the new Master Mind Tactics EDC 2 which I purchased recently.)

Name:  FullSizeRender (4) - Edited.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender (3) - Edited.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  54.6 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender (2) - Edited.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  47.0 KB

I find that the fit, with the loops attached in the top mounting holes is virtually identical to the fit with the spring clip in the top holes located lower on the holster. For me, the middle set of holes allowed just a bit of roll out with my G19 and I am much happier having changed the position and can still obtain an excellent grip on the firearm.

I don't notice a huge difference with the comfort cut while seated but I can definitely tell that there is less holster material between my leg and pelvic crease. And so far, I really like the fit to the belt of the PTD loops. They seem to ride a little flatter than some others I've tried recently and the rubberized texture holds the holster nicely to the belt. That said, they do swivel somewhat so that the holster can move with you whether standing or sitting...and they don't seem to print any more than the clip. (I'll know more as the weather warms up and attire changes.)

As time goes on I'll be able to assess other differences, pro or con as I carry my G26, G19 and G17 in these two holsters along with my JMCK George.

A big thanks to Tom for both his patience and his generosity. I have tried to repay them both in my own way.
    Last edited by blues; 02-10-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Great write up and feedback here, Blues!

Would you say the Comfort Cut is worth getting? I'm leaning towards 'yes'.
    As you mentioned, I'm eager to see what Tony has in store for us with his pad design he's been working on. Sounds like it might be close.

Are you still liking the soft loops over the metal clip? I was partial to the soft loops until i learned his clip works well with non-belt options as well. This is a great option for lazy weekend around-the-house carry. How difficult/tedious is it getting the clip on or off?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

Speaking of which, I was really tempted to try out the "pull the dot" straps as I've not used them on a holster before but both Tony and Tom advised that they were less stealthy than other options. So, I guess it'll have to keep for a while.
    If you are interested, "ironing" the pull the dot straps really helps them lay flat. What I did, was using some parchment paper and a low iron setting, I closed the pull the dot strap at the size I desired. Then, I ironed them as flat as possible. This really helped with the bottom side bulge you usually get with pull the dot straps. It also allowed me to have the convenience I need to remove the holster when I have to travel in and out of places I can't carry.

It also gives me a bit of the "give" that really helps me with comfort.

May not be as much of a concern for some.

Quote Originally Posted by imp1295 View Post
    If you are interested, "ironing" the pull the dot straps really helps them lay flat. What I did, was using some parchment paper and a low iron setting, I closed the pull the dot strap at the size I desired. Then, I ironed them as flat as possible. This really helped with the bottom side bulge you usually get with pull the dot straps. It also allowed me to have the convenience I need to remove the holster when I have to travel in and out of places I can't carry.

It also gives me a bit of the "give" that really helps me with comfort.

May not be as much of a concern for some.
    Thanks, a lot has transpired since that post of mine you quoted. I now have PTD loops on most of my gear.

Appreciate the tip, I think I've seen mention of it hereabouts previously. May have been an earlier post of yours.

Blues, my AIWB rides up such that the grip slides over the bottom of my ribs when seated, and the butt just pokes right out there. Could you write a few words on (a) whether you experienced that and if it bothered you (b) is there a reasonable workaround?

Judging from the pictures, it looks like the DSG can be arranged to sit lower on the belt and that might make a difference.

User Tag List