Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Dark Star Gear AIWB & JMCK "George" Holsters

Thanks for sharing your thoughts blues. You posted a detailed comparison that has a lot of good info. I look forward to any more updates as you get more time in with both holsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Just decided to raise the spring clip to the top row of holes and drop the holster a little deeper below the belt to see if I still retained sufficient grip clearance and whether it would enhance concealment.

Concealment was definitely enhanced. I can see less printing with each gun. The grip on the 19 is still adequate for a strong master grip.

The grip of the 26 is nice and tight to the torso but I am pretty much as deep as I can go and still consider the available grip adequate.

Sitting still presents no issues insofar as comfort or perceived pressure.
    That's how I set the most recent one; the top set of holes. I love it. I've never really gotten away with AIWB a G17 unless I was wearing something pretty bulky but with that DSG and set for the deeper carry, I've easily done it with more shirts. 19 more so of course. 26 is just silly.
    Last edited by JHC; 09-24-2016 at 07:40 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Remember the thread from a month or two back, when I discussed how I have multiple AIWB holsters for the same gun. JHC's post is a perfect example of why. Ride height effects speed vs concealability, as does the size of a foam wedge. Leather vs Kydex, also can vary retention vs speed. Also kydex split loops, vs soft loops vs a clip.

With the adjustability of the JM and Dark Star, you could conceivably make the same holster work, but you would be constantly taking it apart to reconfigure.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts blues. You posted a detailed comparison that has a lot of good info. I look forward to any more updates as you get more time in with both holsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks and will do, Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    That's how I set the most recent one; the top set of holes. I love it. I've never really gotten away with AIWB a G17 unless I was wearing something pretty bulky but with that DSG and set for the deeper carry, I've easily done it with more shirts. 19 more so of course. 26 is just silly.
    The 19, with the clip set in the top holes was surprisingly concealable and comfortable. I spent most of the night wondering what I was going to do with my 26.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Remember the thread from a month or two back, when I discussed how I have multiple AIWB holsters for the same gun. JHC's post is a perfect example of why. Ride height effects speed vs concealability, as does the size of a foam wedge. Leather vs Kydex, also can vary retention vs speed. Also kydex split loops, vs soft loops vs a clip.

With the adjustability of the JM and Dark Star, you could conceivably make the same holster work, but you would be constantly taking it apart to reconfigure.
    Totally agree. The characteristics of each of the two holsters provide options without the need for constant fiddling.
    Last edited by blues; 09-24-2016 at 08:20 AM.

I have a previous "beta" design of the current DSG clip sized for the G19 but with a wide open mouth. I drilled another set of holes higher and moved the clip up. My strategy was to leveral the open mouth to see how AIWB the KKM comp went with the comp extending out the mouth. Not that great. The squarish steel shape down there gets kind of noxious with much sitting.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I have a previous "beta" design of the current DSG clip sized for the G19 but with a wide open mouth. I drilled another set of holes higher and moved the clip up. My strategy was to leveral the open mouth to see how AIWB the KKM comp went with the comp extending out the mouth. Not that great. The squarish steel shape down there gets kind of noxious with much sitting.
    It's pretty amazing how much a small fraction of an inch can make in both comfort and concealment.

Speaking of which, I was really tempted to try out the "pull the dot" straps as I've not used them on a holster before but both Tony and Tom advised that they were less stealthy than other options. So, I guess it'll have to keep for a while.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

So, quick consensus on the DSG as the OP put in the pictures: Is this what most of you guys consider a good fit for concealability? It looks like you would have to wear baggy clothing (as pictured) to conceal the pistol. Or for the OP, do you just have your belt on a more loose notch?

Quote Originally Posted by NCmtnman View Post
    So, quick consensus on the DSG as the OP put in the pictures: Is this what most of you guys consider a good fit for concealability? It looks like you would have to wear baggy clothing (as pictured) to conceal the pistol. Or for the OP, do you just have your belt on a more loose notch?
    Well, at 63 my 'muscle shirt' wearing days are behind me and here in "the country" I generally wear relatively loose fitting clothing as a rule. (Even before I started carrying AIWB again on a more regular basis.)

I can set my belt a bit snugger when I want the holster to hug more tightly, or on the third hole when I'm not particularly concerned one way or the other.

Honestly, around here or in town or the shops I've not yet had a raised eyebrow one way or the other. I don't think I'd get away wearing a form fitting shirt with the holster but I wouldn't get away with it these days without it either.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I always go back to a few things: 1. Can I get away with it in a plane/airport without having to dress out of my norm? 2. Will my son use it as a ledge to stand on or pull up on and if so will it pull forward enough to readjust?

It's okay if you wear 'muscle shirts'. Just post them up in a different thread

Quote Originally Posted by NCmtnman View Post
    In my experience there are two major body types when considering AIWB concealment and dress:

1) Chest is larger than belly. This type can wear a regular old tshirt. Maybe even a slightly fitted shirt as long as it isn't tapered in the waist area. They don't need too much drape to conceal with these types of holsters with a claw feature. A foam wedge can be added if one prefers clothes on the more fitted side to aid concealment.

2) Gut is more prominent than chest. These guys are going to want to roll with a bit baggier shirts and likely also a foam wedge. Finding the sweet spot for how the clothing drapes is even more important here, but is doable.

As I have gotten back towards being in shape again, I have definitely noticed that I can get away with wearing better fitting tshirts as concealment garments, and that a larger foam wedge is not a must-have anymore. Though it is often still nice.

User Tag List