Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Dark Star Gear AIWB & JMCK "George" Holsters

Review: Dark Star Gear AIWB & JMCK "George" Holsters

Tom recently posted an auction to support P-F and offered up some of his current, (soft release, not final), versions of his AIWB holster. He mentioned in that thread that he also had some available for right handed Glock 17 / 19 owners who might be interested at the current time.

Because in the short time I've been on this site I've noticed many favorable comments on Tom's work, his support of the site and membership, and a reluctance to toot his own horn, I decided to order one of the available holsters to send some goodwill his way.

Let me preface the following by saying that I also wanted to compare the Dark Star Gear holster to my JMCK "George". I am very happy with the "George" holster and Tony's work is unquestionably top shelf... but as nothing in this world is perfect and the last custom kydex holster I purchased before Tony's dates back to the middle to late 90's, I figured I might as well see for myself what the cutting edge in kydex holsters offers these days. Plus, since I have a fixed loop and neoprene wedge on the "George" I figured to get this one with a clip and claw to see how the other half lives.

The DSG holster just came in today so obviously this is very early in the game and I cannot give a review as if I'd been living with the holster for months on end. That said, I have come away with some observations and comparisons.

First off, here's a side by side image of the DSG holster alongside the "George", both front and back. Bear in mind that the "George" is sized for Glock 19 while the DSG is sized for Glock 17. (My usage is for Glock 19 and 26.)

You'll notice in the first shot that if the belt loop and clip on each holster are aligned that there is very little difference in the drop of the holster as far as how far it extends down into the pants. The second image was not aligned in the same fashion.

The obvious differences that you'll see right away of course is that the DSG has both somewhat more coverage in the front as well as a full length guard in the rear, whereas the "George" has a mid length guard (at my request).

The guard on the DSG completely covers the slides on both the 19 and 26.

The other obvious difference is that the "George" utilizes a neoprene wedge whereas the DSG uses a "claw" to tackle the job of pivoting the gun's grip into the torso. Both do an effective job at this. The difference that I found was that if I wear the George without the wedge, my two Glocks each print more than I am comfortable with. With the DSG, when I fashioned a wedge and attached it with a rubber band, it printed slightly less but not nearly to the same extent as the difference with the JMCK holster. This of course makes sense since the "claw" is still at work. That said, I think that a pad would be a useful addition to the DSG holster.

Interestingly, however, while the neoprene wedge on the "George" is comfortable and both firm and pliant at the same time, I am more aware of the "George" in a sitting position when compared to the DSG holster. Aware is not the same as uncomfortable. I simply mean that I am more aware of the holster's presence.

In terms of fit and finish, I have no complaints with either holster, they are both very well done with smooth finished edges. There are more adjustment and fitment holes noticeable on the DSG but that is due to the various methods available for belt attachment.

The DSG has a slightly more audible or distinctive clicking sound when either gun is holstered but the feedback on the "George" is as positive if a bit more muted.

The "George" holds both the 19 and 26 very securely yet offers a very slick draw.

The DSG holster holds both firmly but there is a very slight amount of vertical play when the 19 is holstered due to the slightly different tolerances between the two guns. It is still retained very securely and it is not noticeable when wearing.

Neither gun will fall out of either holster when shaken upside down.

The draw on the DSG feels slighly less slick in comparison to the "George" (due to the way it positively locks the trigger guard), but it is in no way inferior in my view. (This may in part be due to its being new and my not having drawn from the holster nearly as many times.)

Both holsters afford a full master grip when drawing from a standing or seated position.

Here are some images (taken in the mirror) of the newly received DSG holster with Glock 19. For reference, I am 5'10" and about 175 lbs.

To wrap things up, I'd have to say that the DSG AIWB holster is excellent and pairs well with my JMCK "George". Where the "George's" fixed kydex belt loop is a bit tighter and a somewhat more secure fit, the DSG clip allows me to throw the holster on a bit more quickly and has a slightly different feel when seated. They are both very comfortable from my point of view. I like the fact that the claw allows me to use the DSG without a pad although I still think that one is worth attaching for that little extra stealth. (Comfort is fine without it.)

(For those interested, I have several images of the "George" and some impressions here and here.
    Last edited by blues; 09-23-2016 at 04:33 PM.

awesome review, glad that you are liking Tom's work. I have two JM holsters for my p2000, one with a solid loop and the other with a clip and like you said they compliment each other perfectly. I need to say this, we need to start a crowd found to get you some defoor sights or something to replace those glock sights!

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    awesome review, glad that you are liking Tom's work. I have two JM holsters for my p2000, one with a solid loop and the other with a clip and like you said they compliment each other perfectly. I need to say this, we need to start a crowd found to get you some defoor sights or something to replace those glock sights!
    I have an old pair of Hackathorns that I would gladly donate.

Thanks for the love, brother.

Hey, don't feel sorry for me. It's not that I can't afford different sights it's that I've been using them for so long, (27 and 20 years respectively), and I've never had a problem with them. I don't shoot from a rest, all my training and practice is essentially combat shooting.

When I did my LEOSA night quals back in July I probably could have used tritium sights on one course of fire when no flashlight was utilized but I still scored 100% with both guns. Plus, I hate the idea of having to replace the darn things every 10 years or so. (Though at my age I may not have to worry about too many of those. LOL!)

I'll take it under advisement, though. But maybe we should discuss it further in another thread. (I can imagine the replies I'd get to a "What sights should I buy?" thread. )

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

Hey, don't feel sorry for me. It's not that I can't afford different sights it's that I've been using them for so long, (27 and 20 years respectively), and I've never had a problem with them. I don't shoot from a rest, all my training and practice is essentially combat shooting.

When I did my LEOSA night quals back in July I probably could have used tritium sights on one course of fire when no flashlight was utilized but I still scored 100% with both guns. Plus, I hate the idea of having to replace the darn things every 10 years or so. (Though at my age I may not have to worry about too many of those. LOL!)

I'll take it under advisement, though. But maybe we should discuss it further in another thread. (I can imagine the replies I'd get to a "What sights should I buy?" thread. )
    plenty of resources here. I know its sometimes hard to change but even for close distances a set of sights like the hackathrons can make a huge difference. Defoors are just classic black on black with a thin front and wide rear, complete old school

also I did not mean to imply you couldn't afford it. Sorry if that is how you took it. As a community here we all help each other out and try to pass things no longer in use along to guys that can try something new.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 09-23-2016 at 04:35 PM.

plenty of resources here. I know its sometimes hard to change but even for close distances a set of sights like the hackathrons can make a huge difference. Defoors are just classic black on black with a thin front and wide rear, complete old school

also I did not mean to imply you couldn't afford it. Sorry if that is how you took it. As a community here we all help each other out and try to pass things no longer in use along to guys that can try something new.
    No, not for a second... I didn't take any offense whatsoever. In fact I'm honored. I merely meant that there are so many others more deserving of such generosity that I'd not have anyone think that the reasons holding me back were financial in nature. I'll take the camaraderie and good intentions all day long. In fact, once I get the newly ordered JRC holster for my 686+ I'll be putting my DeSantis up in the karma section for some worthy soul to put to use.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

Well, if you decide you do want to try them, my offer will still be standing (unless I give them away to someone else first).

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Well, if you decide you do want to try them, my offer will still be standing (unless I give them away to someone else first).
    Super generous of you, honestly. But I'd feel better (at this point in time) if you could donate them to someone who either can't afford them or who has been a part of this community for a longer period of time and whose contributions merit such generosity. It means a great deal to me nonetheless and I don't have to take receipt of them to have received the gift. Thank you.

I have multiple holsters from both makers (only 1 is AIWB as I prefer strong side carry), and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either company. Good guys to work with when it comes to making sure you get a good holster that fits your needs. I'm certainly not done ordering from them.

I'll plug JRC holsters for leather too. Jim did a hell of a job on my first leather rig.

Just decided to raise the spring clip to the top row of holes and drop the holster a little deeper below the belt to see if I still retained sufficient grip clearance and whether it would enhance concealment.

Concealment was definitely enhanced. I can see less printing with each gun. The grip on the 19 is still adequate for a strong master grip.

The grip of the 26 is nice and tight to the torso but I am pretty much as deep as I can go and still consider the available grip adequate.

Sitting still presents no issues insofar as comfort or perceived pressure.
    Last edited by blues; 09-23-2016 at 07:16 PM.

User Tag List