Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Review: Dark Star Gear AIWB & JMCK "George" Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Blues, my AIWB rides up such that the grip slides over the bottom of my ribs when seated, and the butt just pokes right out there. Could you write a few words on (a) whether you experienced that and if it bothered you (b) is there a reasonable workaround?

Judging from the pictures, it looks like the DSG can be arranged to sit lower on the belt and that might make a difference.
    I wear the DSG and JMCK holsters in the highest set of holes, whether with the clip or the PTD loops. That allows the holster to ride lower in the pants for better concealment and prevents roll out for me while still providing a good grip.

There are times when depending on where or how I am seated I'll get some protrusion...but generally I don't notice it much and I try to maneuver the holster a bit before I sit. The PTD loops help a bit in allowing the holster to cant and self-adjust some.

I'm generally not in NPE's much so I don't have too many issues with cover garments.

The major advantage of the G19 sized holster is that the shorter length adds a bit to both comfort and not driving the holster northward (as much) when seated. (I primarily use the 19 holster with the G26, however.)
    Last edited by blues; 04-10-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Rather than start a new thread or post elsewhere, wanted to update by saying that I decided to experiment with the claw on my two DSG holsters.

I was intrigued when I had read about some members grinding down the claw to have a little bit less leverage under the belt which would help ease the printing by the rear corner of the Glock slide. And then I remembered that Tom had mentioned that the claw could also be moved and re-positioned to the rear of the holster without removing any material. This is what I decided to try first.

Moving the claw to the rear was a win-win. Not only does the rear corner of the slide no longer print, (unless I bend backward), but the holster is more comfortable due to less pressure being exerted by the claw (and hence the grip). It worked so well on one holster that I went ahead and did it on the second and am more than satisfied to keep them in that location. The grip is still adequately tucked into the body and the addition of a wedge at the south end of the holster allows some additional comfort and padding.

The whole operation took a total of a couple minutes and is worth the experimentation for those who may benefit from a bit of adjustment.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Views: 585
Size:  36.7 KB
    Last edited by blues; 06-01-2017 at 10:13 PM.

That makes me feel like a nincompoop for grinding mine and not realizing I could just move it to the back. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    That makes me feel like a nincompoop for grinding mine and not realizing I could just move it to the back. Duh.
    Don't worry, I too feel dumb for not realizing you can do this.

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    Don't worry, I too feel dumb for not realizing you can do this.
    It really depends. The move to the rear might be a larger differential than just shaving a bit off.

In my case it was okay but if it was too much of a good thing I'd have had to reinstall in front and then take a bit off at a time to find the happy place.

So, you probably ended up fine tuning it better by doing what you did.

(Do you feel better now? )
    Last edited by blues; 06-02-2017 at 01:56 PM.

I just ordered the DSG for my G19 with Loops, Clips and Claw. Looking forward to trying it out! I received the AIWB for the 43 a few weeks ago and its been great. I do agree on the OP comment about some play while the gun is in the holster but once its on the belt or against the body, I dont notice any movement.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselvrr View Post
    I just ordered the DSG for my G19 with Loops, Clips and Claw. Looking forward to trying it out! I received the AIWB for the 43 a few weeks ago and its been great. I do agree on the OP comment about some play while the gun is in the holster but once its on the belt or against the body, I dont notice any movement.
    One of the things I need to write up is an additional reason for that movement.

If there was zero movement but the same tension/retention adjustment the draw would be a lot harder. A small amount of movement allows for a much greater range of retention but still allows the pistol to be drawn when set tighter. Effectively one can get a tighter setting but still draw.

The play can also be lessened by tightening one screw more than the other. The snap can also be tweaked this way. Adding a half turn in on the bottom will spread the top a little, relative, and lessen the interference fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post

If there was zero movement but the same tension/retention adjustment the draw would be a lot harder. A small amount of movement allows for a much greater range of retention but still allows the pistol to be drawn when set tighter. Effectively one can get a tighter setting but still draw.

The play can also be lessened by tightening one screw more than the other. The snap can also be tweaked this way. Adding a half turn in on the bottom will spread the top a little, relative, and lessen the interference fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the explanation! Again, I just noticed it but dont see any interfering with function. Going to do some more in-depth practice at range this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post

Tom and I have discussed this topic numerous times on the phone and I've always taken pains to ensure that he understood that my POV was that it is a non-issue, and merely an observation. The amount of travel is minuscule, and once the holster is put on, it is unnoticeable.

The retention provided by my three current DSG holsters is excellent. (Another on the way soon for somewhat limited OWB usage.)
    Fit and finish is good as one could ask for. Presentation similarly excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    On the JMCK front, Tony is going to build me an AIWB holster for my new Gen 4 G17 equipped with the Streamlight TLR-1 HL based upon the design he and SLG have come up with. Though I don't (at this time) intend to EDC the G17 / light combo, I do want the option and this should be as good as it gets imho based upon my prior experience with Tony's work and my confidence that SLG's input will only make it that much better.
    Please post pictures/info about the AIWB holster for the G17 with the Streamlight TLR-1 HL. I've been looking for a good holster exactly like you are describing for a while now. I also don't expect to edc it but I like my loaded handguns to be in a holster and I don't have anything for this combination yet.

User Tag List