Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Small HK Handgun?

It is also possible HK looked at other small 9mm pistols and concluded they could not make a pistol as small as other 9mm pistols and have it maintain HK's standard for reliability.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnguy View Post
    I think I'm starting to come around regarding not wanting to conceal carry a 380 acp. I just ordered a new ruger lcp 380,and I should have it in my hands in a week or so. I'm thinking I might sell it when I get it ,and get either a j frame, or a 9mm semi-auto.
    You might still want to stick it out and see if it fills the role you picked it for.

I agree. Get it, shoot it, and carry it. Figure out what you like and don't like. Put 500 rounds through it. Then see if you want to upgrade.

You may find that 380 is as much recoil as you can handle. You may find that it's just the right size, and anything bigger or heavier won't work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    As much as I love HK, I certainly would not buy no steenkin' .380... Just sayin...
    Well...you say that...until you see one ...http://www.gunbroker.com/item/585959437

If memory serves me right, that puppy had a passive de-cocking feature that simply worked as a hammer block. To de-cock the pistol, the safety lever was put in the "Safe" position and then you pulled the trigger to drop the hammer.

Obviously, if you didn't get that lever in the right position, you got a loud noise instead of a click when you "de-cocked" the pistol. :^)
    Last edited by 41magfan; 09-23-2016 at 10:01 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by lawnguy View Post
    I wonder if HK will ever offer a small handgun close in size to the Ruger LCP?
    No. And the realization caused me to buy my first and probably only Glock, a 43.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    If memory serves me right, that puppy had a passive de-cocking feature that simply worked as a hammer block. To de-cock the pistol, the safety lever was put in the "Safe" position and then you pulled the trigger to drop the hammer.

Obviously, if you didn't get that lever in the right position, you got a loud noise instead of a click when you "de-cocked" the pistol. :^)
    Sounds about right, given the way the "decocking lever" works on the P9...Push it down with no weight...then it clicks and you slowly let it back up. If you just let off of it...BOOM...off goes the gun. Basically, it is just a fancy way of thumb-docking the hammer and has no safety built into it. I'm glad my buddy warned me about that, before I "decocked" his .45 P9S the first time. That could have been bad-news bears.

In fact if you think about HK went sort of full circle on safety...first too passive, then came the squeeze cockers, which work, but are a lot on the "extraneous" side. Huh...hard to believe they finally got it mostly right with the USP...
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-23-2016 at 10:07 PM.

My small HK is a Glock 26. Mine run, and they are reputed to be the most intrinsically accurate Glock 9 pistols. I can shoot them enough better than a SK to matter, and they are very space efficient. See comparison with SK:

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

American companies don't care a whole lot more. Was at SHOT at Ruger booth when LCP was unveiled. Soon as I got done cooning one, I approached Ken Jorgenson to give professional consumer feedback.

"You need to dovetail the slide so people who want to hit well can install sights they can see; an XS Big Dot would be perfect for its role," says I.

His grin faded, said thanks and turned to find someone who could make him happy again.

About eight years later they introduced this:

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcpCus...eets/3740.html
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    American companies don't care a whole lot more. Was at SHOT at Ruger booth when LCP was unveiled. Soon as I got done cooning one, I approached Ken Jorgenson to give professional consumer feedback.

"You need to dovetail the slide so people who want to hit well can install sights they can see; an XS Big Dot would be perfect for its role," says I.

His grin faded, said thanks and turned to find someone who could make him happy again.

About eight years later they introduced this:

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcpCus...eets/3740.html
    I think they made the right decision.

They couldn't make Elsie Peas fast enough for a few years. Adding the dovetail for the slide would have added to production time, meaning less guns sold. It also would have had two other effects: either raise the price, or lower profit margins. Raising the price would have resulted in less guns sold, because they likely would have lost more customers to the Kel-Tec P3at, its primary competitor.

Truth be told, most of their customers probably don't want a dovetailed slide with an XS big dot, anyway. Small sights, funnel sights, and even no sights has been the norm on pocket pistols for almost a century now.

In the mean time, there were shops which could dovetail your slide and install an XS big dot at your request. In addition, for those who didnt, Ruger could simply release the Custom model at a later date when production room allowed such, and have customers who already own 1-2 LCPs upgrade into the Custom model, thereby refreshing the pocket pistol gravy train for a little bit.

What Ruger did was the correct business move.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List