Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Small HK Handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    In know it's not PFestivus, and I'm like the least experienced person here, but I don't really understand the passion for the P7M8 and P7M13.

I shot a box out of both last year, and that was enough for me.

They both ended up being hotter than a bride's kiss after a few magazines. I'm not sure how you'd get through a match or a class.

I get the point of the squeeze cocker but jeepers it felt awkward. And hinged at the bottom? And the M8 is what, 28 ounces?

Ah well. I guess I'm just a Philistine.
    Questions are a good thing.

I can remember when the P7 was what many "in the know" wanted. I'm aware of at least one State Police Agency carrying them. A municipal agency of around 50is officers also issued them for several years. Yes they got hot quick. They can be extremely accurate and rather flat which aids in concealment. But the slide is short and so much of the weight is in the grip, especially with the P7M13 that finding a holster design the prevents the pistol from flopping around on your waist is a challenge.

Then there was the issue of the officer shooting themselves in the leg every so often. The P7 was one of those guns that it was recommended you stay with exclusively. Switching platforms could be an issue.

But the P7 has a cult like following. If I were to post this on the HKForums, there would be a hit team dispatched within minutes to find me. And to be honest, I wouldn't mind owning one as a range toy. The first time I watched the movie, "Die Hard", I walked out to the theater wanting to buy a hard chromed HK P7 and an AUG.

As for the weight, yes by today's standards, it's a heavy gun. But then so is a Beretta M9. When these guns were introduced, they weren't considered heavy. But then one was comparing the weight of the gun to a 5" steel frame 1911 or a 4" S&W model 66 or a 686 revolver. The weight issue is all a mater of perspective. I think it's funny to hear younger shooters gripe and complain about how heavy their Beretta M9 is, as I think back of carrying an issued 1911 as a young Marine. But then I have a Glock 19 on my waist as I sit here and contemplate the irony...

In know it's not PFestivus, and I'm like the least experienced person here, but I don't really understand the passion for the P7M8 and P7M13.
    To some people, and it may be focused on my generation due to exposure to Die Hard on the big screen in puberty, they are the neatest handgun ever. That's all, it's just an aesthetic thing.

They have these merits to me: I shoot one faster than any other handgun (which I don't think matters a lot). For me, they are exceedingly safe, and are an ideal bag gun (which doesn't come up a lot). They are flat and very easy to conceal with the right holster (but I can hide other guns just as well). I hit very well with them, as DB can tell you, if my head is up.

They have these reasonable demerits: They are expensive, and not getting any cheaper (which doesn't matter a lot to me). They are fragile, and small parts breakage is common (which matters, a lot, to anyone). They get hot (which is easily solved by having two, see the first demerit). They 'roll out' too much for AIWB (I think, though I haven't been exhaustive about it). They require, I hear, some dedication (not to me, but I have seen it with other people.

I have one, which is inadequate, and will probably acquire another at some point. I think it's a great bag gun, and prefer it in that role to any pistol I own. If they were still produced I might own four, sell everything else, and stockpile small parts.

In know it's not PFestivus, and I'm like the least experienced person here, but I don't really understand the passion for the P7M8 and P7M13. :
    Oh, and the pic is of a P7K3. Not mine. Some f*cking hipster's.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Oh, and the pic is of a P7K3. Not mine. Some f*cking hipster's.
    P7s were hipster guns even during their heyday. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    P7s were hipster guns even during their heyday. ;-)
    And the K3 is hipster squared.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    I'd have a P7. Sexy little gun.

Most of the salient pros and cons of the P7M8 (BOW DOWN!) have been mentioned. I have one, it's my third P7M8 (fourth P7 since I had a PSP for a while). Yes, they get hot. Yes, they're heavy for what they bring to the fight. Yes, they're EXPENSIVE, parts are hard to find, etc. But, DAYUM, do they shoot. If I have young bucks on the range that I have to put in their place, it's time for the HUMBLER, and I pull out my P7M8. Screw the heat, the results speak for themselves. The only other pistol I can shoot even remotely as well with as little effort is the 1911.

Now, my P7M8 is a safe queen, and rarely sees the light of day. I had it on my authorized personal carry list for a while, then the reality of potentially losing it if, God Forbid, I shot someone on duty with it made the light bulb go off. The only guns on my personal list now are replaceable Tupperware - GLOCKs and the VP9...

If they did the VPSK with just a tad longer grip, to accomodate the P2000 mag and kept short OAL slide dimensions. It would resemble a "modern day" P7 with none of the misgivings. Probably be actually thinner with more capacity and with lighter weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I'd have a P7. Sexy little gun.
    Me too, if I had budget for guns that were purely for occasional range trips just because I think they're cool. Whatever ridiculous amount of $$$$ they cost now is too rich for my blood, though.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Me too, if I had budget for guns that were purely for occasional range trips just because I think they're cool. Whatever ridiculous amount of $$$$ they cost now is too rich for my blood, though.
    I hear you. I "stole" my last one in 2008 for just under $1,000 - and I'll never let it go, because I could never replace it anywhere near that price point again.

User Tag List