Thread: Shooting by J.H. Fitzgerald

Site Supporter

Shooting by J.H. Fitzgerald

Online version of the book by Colt Exhibition shooter J.H. "Fitz" Fitzgerald. Yes, the same guy who hacked up the trigger guards on perfectly good revolvers.

Low light, reloads, movement, types of sights, strong- and support-hand shooting, dry practice, terminal ballistics for different projectiles in different barrel lengths... they were even arguing differences between lubricants in 1930. Nothing new under the sun.

http://sportsmansvintagepress.com/re...able-contents/
    Last edited by HCM; 09-23-2016 at 03:23 AM.

Site Supporter
    Very interesting to read.

I've often wondered how people who did a lot of shooting back in the day kept from going deaf. The following excerpt leaves me still wondering:

Delicate ear drums easily affected by vibration will add to the shooter’s troubles in his advance toward good scores, especially if large caliber arms are used. I have tried several kinds of ear stoppers and have discarded the use of everything but cotton. I find that is cleaner to use and answers the purpose. Do not roll it in a small hard ball and press into the ear as far as possible, but roll it lightly about the size of a marble and press it gently into the ear. Use fresh cotton every time the range is visited.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Very interesting to read.

I've often wondered how people who did a lot of shooting back in the day kept from going deaf. The following excerpt leaves me still wondering:

Delicate ear drums easily affected by vibration will add to the shooter’s troubles in his advance toward good scores, especially if large caliber arms are used. I have tried several kinds of ear stoppers and have discarded the use of everything but cotton. I find that is cleaner to use and answers the purpose. Do not roll it in a small hard ball and press into the ear as far as possible, but roll it lightly about the size of a marble and press it gently into the ear. Use fresh cotton every time the range is visited.
    Does a rolled up cotton ball have an NRR of 5 or 6? Ouch!

Site Supporter
    Add shooting in basement ranges with no ear pro to speak of. I understand that the old timers put empty cases in their ears as well as cotton.

Thanks, that is an awesome read. The preface is awesome.

"Even in this day of machine guns, steel vests, and other playthings, the revolver expert has the edge. He doesn’t have to spill a peck of bullets down the street to salivate one lone pilgrim. He fires one shot and says: “There, damn you, I guess you’ll be good now.”"

Very nice, pretty thorough! Even talks about vision and eye dominance way back in the day! Feel like from reading, he'd be all for DA/SA and LEM pistols.

He was also one of the pre-eminent pistolsmiths of his day. He could always be found at Camp Perry tuning bullseye guns on behalf of Colt.

User Tag List